Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old     (rennen)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-07-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Hey everyone. First I want to say that I really enjoy the good advice that you all bring to the table here at Wakeworld.

So, I am looking at a 1993 Prostar 205. This will be my first ski/wake boat. I intend to use the boat for general family fun,(tubing, skiing, and a bit of boarding).

What can you all tell me about this boat? I have heard that the 97' and 98' Prostars have the same hull as the X-star and new X-1. What can you tell me about the older Prostars?

Do they have any common problems? Is there anything that I should look at any closer than I usually would? Caveats?

The particular boat that I am looking at is remarkably clean. Interior is perfect, hours are relatively low hours. Nice wakeboard tower, fat sacs and more.

Any idea on value range???
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-07-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
Not my work, but informative......

ProStar 205 Changes By Year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

During my search for a new boat (new for me, anyway), I made myself aware of the various differences associated with model year changes of the MasterCraft ProStar 205. I did searches, asked questions, spent a lot of time at the dealer lot looking at used boats, called the company, compared brochures, and everything else I could do. I found that there are a lot of myths out there. It was interesting research and something I enjoyed doing. So, I thought I would share the information with others.

It is important to note that boat-model changes are not like car-model changes. Changes can be sporadic, and may not coincide with particular model-year changes. I even found that features can appear and disappear within a single model year. Not being able to look at each and every boat of each year, the information here reflects my experience and is as accurate as I could make it.

My hope is that this information will eventually find itself in a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section on this or other discussion boards/forums. Perhaps this will inspire others to write about other great MasterCraft model runs.

My chronology concentrates mostly on the PS 205 Direct Drive, but also contains some information relating to the 205 V-drive and the early X-Stars (because they were based on the PS 205). Items I was not certain about are marked with an asterisk. And of course, as usual, ICBW. Enjoy

MasterCraft ProStar 205 Changes by year

Introduced in the summer of 1991, production of the ProStar 205 model began. Banking on the successful new hull of the 1991 ProStar 190, the PS 205 was MasterCraft’s first try at a real tournament-level ski boat with a functional walk-through bow. At 20.5 feet long, it had a beam of 85 inches and weighed 2550 pounds.

It was powered by a 250/275* hp carbureted 351 (5.8 liter) Windsor Ford engine marinized by Indmar (Some believe the noted 275 hp engine was actually rated at 285 and known as the HO version). The transmission was the venerable Borg & Warner Velvet Drive. The PowerSlot (1:1.5 ratio) transmission was optional.

The PS 205 was basically a longer PS 190 with a walk-through bow. The hulls were identical except for the extra length.

Hp increased to 285 for the last year of the carbureted Ford. Some late models were available with MasterCraft’s first attempt at a production electronic fuel injected (EFI) engine, the LT-1. The LT-1 was Indmar’s version of the General Motors Corvette LT-1 engine. It had a displacement of 5.7 liters, multi-port fuel injection, distributor-less ignition, a gear-driven water re-circulating pump and boasted 319 hp.

Gas struts were added to support the motor box. Roto-cast driver’s seat first appeared.

MasterCraft “officially” introduced EFI to all its boats.

Standard power came from an entirely new General Motors-derived 5.7 liter Indmar engine. This engine sported twin-injector throttle-body injection (TBI), a more conventional distributor and belt-driven recirculation pump, and 275 hp. The LT-1 was optional.

MasterCraft changed the entire hull and deck for the PS 190, but the PS 205 remained the same as the 1994 model. It is a popular misconception that the PS 205 hull changed for the 1995 model, but it did not. The Velvet Drive was replaced by an Italian-built Hurth ZF transmission for both the 1:1 and the 1:1.5 ratios by the 1996 year, but perhaps as early as 1995.*

MasterCraft changed the entire hull and deck for the PS 205 to closely mirror the changes made to the PS 190 the year before. The beam is increased to 87” and the weight to 2660/2690* pounds. Side height is significantly increased.

The increased size and weight of the boat, coupled with the hull changes produced what is generally considered to be a better ride in rough water with more room, at the expense of some slalom-wake quality. Better wake-board characteristics would also soon become apparent.

The hull differences in detail: The early hull had two strakes on each side starting at the bow and ending before the front tracking fin. The bottom was very flat at the back and had "spray pockets" or cutouts on each side in the rear. The 1996+ hull is quite complex in comparison. It also has two strakes on each side, but they start further back and extend all the way to the rear, turning into distinctive "steps" in the back. The spray pockets are present also, but are now in the outboard step of the hull and are of a different size. The most interesting difference is the presence of channels on each side, in the flat outboard part of the hull. The channels are about 3" wide and 1" deep. They start about where the front fin is located and go almost to the back.

The deck and interior saw major changes also. As noted, the inside was deeper. The Styrofoam one-piece rear seat (with removable cushion) was replaced with a permanently-mounted seat-back and a bottom cushion which could be slid out and positioned level with the newly-padded transom to form a sun pad. The floor area under the rear seat was left open, thus creating storage space or room for longer items on the floor. The battery was moved from the back to under the observer’s seat. The observer seat now lifted in one section whereas before, the seatback was hinged and the seat bottom could be completely removed. Storage extended under the bow seat from under the observer seat. The driver got a cup-holder and the observer got a side cubby with two cup-holders. The dash pod changed with a relocated stereo and raised instruments. The windshield frame was made sturdier. The ski locker in the walk-through floor was replaced by a smaller storage box described as a cooler. Bow seat-backs were no longer removable for storage; however, a small hinged storage section in the front of the bow was available. The taller hull made for increased ski storage along the sides.

The Sammy Duval model was introduced sporting different colors, graphics, and interiors.

Hp was increased for the LT-1 engine to 328. Otherwise the boat was basically identical to the 1996 model.

The X-Star model was introduced. Solid color green or blue hull, with large “X-Star” lettering plus standard power amp and stereo differentiate the X-Star from the regular PS 205.

Hp was increased for the standard TBI engine to 308 with the introduction of the Vortec version, and the prop was changed to a 4-blade version.

The PS 190 closed-bow boat had a significant hull change in 1998 which become somewhat infamous and the subject of numerous debates. It is important to note here that no such change took place in the PS 205 line.

New were side-graphics with the rear of the stripe arching back upwards, as well as the “MasterCraft” lettering moved below the stripe. Interior graphics were also changed. The observer’s side cubby with two cup-holders was deleted and replaced with a single fold-up cup-holder added to the side, just aft of the observer’s seat.

X-Star graphics were changed to the now-familiar oval “X” graphics with that model now sporting a fat sack and extended pylon in addition to the power amp’d stereo to differentiate it from the regular PS 205.

MasterCraft introduced the ProStar 205V, a V-drive version of the 205.

1999 also saw the first major changes in the direct-drive in three years. While the hull was identical to the previous model, the deck and interior saw significant changes.

To make an even deeper interior, the deck was even higher; so much so that part of the exterior stripe was actually above the rub-rail (hull-deck mate point) so as to make it appear less top-heavy. Most deck and interior changes were aimed at increasing interior room. The top of the deck sides were thinner and more rounded. The motor-box was smaller and sported a two-piece design for the first time. The rear seat no longer slid out to form a sun pad, but was wider and located farther forward to make room for the first appearance of the rear ski locker. The rear locker had a one-piece padded cover which doubled as a sun pad and opened from the rear, or swim platform. The walk-through and bow area were enlarged and the bow cup-holders were moved off the sides to the area down between the seats for the first time. The walk-through floor “cooler” was replaced by a larger ski storage area again, but with a lift-out, slotted cover. The side storage lost its lower, carpeted bunks in favor of zigzag bungee chords to increase floor space.

Exterior stripe scheme was the same but with a skier “laying it down” pictured in the “MasterCraft” lettering (this was apparently also true of some late 1998 models). A “swoosh” with the 205 logo replaced the 205 lettering at the rear side. The windshield trim became silver for the first time.

Other differences included new electromechanical gauges in a new dash layout, with a thermo-formed side accessory tray, as well as a straight-bench observer’s seat as opposed to the curving seat used previously (these three features carried over to current MC models).

The interior styling could be described as unique for that model year. Shiny vinyl with simple piping contrasted with the previous models’ large, colorful accents. The carpeting had a texture or pattern formed into it. The previously-mentioned two-piece motor cover had a vertical handle and was bare gel coat in the middle, flanked by padding on each side (unique for ‘99 model). The driver’s seat was open in the lower back and also unique to the ’99 model.

Hp was increased for the standard TBI engine to 310, where it stayed until being discontinued after 2004. The LT-1 engine was discontinued and the new LT-R engine (early in the model year known as the MX Max or Vortec 5.7+) was introduced. The optional LT-R featured multi-port EFI, and distributor-less ignition, but was based on the same GM 5.7 liter Vortec engine that the successful TBI engine used. The LT-R carried a 330 hp rating.

The X-Star model (now a V-drive for the first time) included the first generation ZeroFlex Flyer tower for the first time.

The hull and basic deck remained the same as the 1999 model, but the direct-drive PS 205 underwent its second major interior styling change in as many years.

The entire interior was redone in what is basically the current (2001-2005) interior scheme including upholstery, carpeting, seating, stripe/color scheme, etc. The motor box was still a two-piece unit, but was designed and upholstered like the current boats. The ski locker in the walk-through lost its lift-out cover in favor of a hinged, carpeted door reminiscent of the 1992-1995 models. A new driver’s seat more-closely resembled the current ones. The rear locker cover was changed to a two-piece, clam-shell cover. The doors opened out to each side providing access from inside the boat or from the swim platform. The rear seat bottom, however, was still NOT designed to lift out and place level with the transom to increase the sun pad size as the 1996-1998 PS 205’s and the current boats do.

The exterior remained the same as the 1999 with an oval 205 decal replacing the swoosh decal on the rear side.

The single axle trailer had disc brakes, 15” aluminum wheels, and larger width tires for the first time. A flip-up folding trailer tongue was optional. Tandem trailers got disc brakes as well on both axles.

Placarded capacity was increased to 12. Weight was increased to 2950 lbs (this may be true of the 1999 as well).*

The X-Star model changed little (still with the first generation tower) with the exception of gaining built in ballasts.*

2001-2005
The ProStar 205 direct-drive inboard was discontinued for the 2001 model year. It was replaced by the ProStar 209. The ProStar 205V V-drive and the PS 205V-based X-2 were still available as 2005 models.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-07-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
How long do you plan to keep the boat? If you plan on keeping it for quite a while, I would rather have a 96+ year model with less options for similar money if possible. The 96 up has the same hull as the x2/x1/xstar.
Old     (rennen)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-07-2006, 10:54 PM Reply   
I plan on keeping the boat for one, or maybe two seasons. Until I get a raise that allows me to justify 300 to 400 dollars a month for a newer v drive wakeboarding boat.

Thanks to Lionel for that informative find. I will take it all into consideration.

Sal
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       12-08-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
check out the TeamTalk section of the MasterCraft owners site:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/index.php?

do a search for ProStar and 205. You may be happy with that boat for more than one or two seasons, and if you buy it right, it will hold its value. The 205 has a strong following.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-08-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
I personally see no value in a 205 that is pre 1996. You buy a 205 for a budget x2/x1/xstar wake not a overpriced 93 with a different hull.

Im sure you are looking at the one on craigslist while clean its not worth the money at all.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-08-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
How much are they asking for it?
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       12-08-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
Sal said he was looking at the boat for "general family fun", not a wakeboard specific boat. This is a wakeboard site, that's why I encouraged him to look at TMC, which is more about MC. It would be worth it to get some specific input over there and feedback on price, etc.
Old     (rennen)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-08-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I went to go look at it today. It was F-ing amazing. I just couldn't believe how great of condition the thing was in. The owner was willing to throw a couple sets of skis, a wakeboard, a full boat bimini (as well as the smaller one), Samson tower with lights, full stereo(minus tower speakers), ropes, some jackets, 2 covers (one snap one larger tie version, 2 extra 3 blade props, and 2 fat sacs.

So did I buy it???

Nope.

My bank won't give me a long term on such an old boat. Therefore my payment would have been equal to buying a $25,000, newer boat. So I got to thinking... Why not buy a 25,000 newer boat. If my payment would be the same, why the hell buy an older boat?

Now maybe I will be able to find a V-Drive like I really wanted!!!

Btw. the price was 18k
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-08-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
Way too much for that old of a boat, IMO. Yeah for $25k you might find something in V-Drive. You have all winter to look, so take your time and you will find a deal.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-09-2006, 4:57 AM Reply   
I have a 92 Sport Nautique that'd I'd let go for 13k that has been a great 1st boat for me, open bow, etc.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Featured.aspx?ID=1
Old     (hbskier)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-09-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
Why buy an older boat? Getting the thing paid off feels very good. It's pretty gratifying to pay cash for a boat - especially when there are mechincal repairs down the road. To everyone in the room: Raise your hand if you like making a repair payment the same day you cut a check to the bank. Or worse, the day you cut your monthly dues and your boat isn't running.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-10-2006, 4:50 AM Reply   
Sal,
18k is to high for a '93 205. There are a lot of better choises out there, just keep looking, you have all winter. Do go to tmcowners for specific MC questions, even there you can find one for sale.