Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-28-2004, 8:02 PM Reply   
I was looking at some tower speakers that are 8 ohm each. Somebody told me to bridge my amp to mono to run them as you do not get imaging 80 feet back anyway. Originally I tought this is a bad idea but realistically can you even hear the imaging in the boat from the tower let alone 80 feet back? opinions??

thanks
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-28-2004, 9:49 PM Reply   
I think I am that somebody...

My tower speakers have a seperate volume control since they get quite loud. We have a 20 minute idle from the house to fastwater through houses in Discovery Bay so the tower speakers stay off until we exit the no wake zone (no noise zone). When we crank up the tower speaks you can't even hear the boat speakers except for the sub. The tower speakers began their life in stereo but the amp took a vacation the first day out. Since I had another similar amp in my car I decided to try to run in mono where so the speakers would see full power. Speakers were about 2x louder, cleaner, and I couldn't hear any difference from a loss of the stereo image. But maybe it's just my ears?

See what others say, my guess is go with mono.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-29-2004, 4:41 AM Reply   
Ty ive been running west marine 8 ohm speakers for a few years now and can honestly say they sound better then alot of the regular 6.5's in cans ive heard (with the right amount of power). Mine are run mono too.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-29-2004, 5:27 AM Reply   
hey mike, was not sure if you wanted me to put your name in so i left it anonymous...you have me thinking though.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-29-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
I tend to agree with the mono idea. In order to decern the separation from left/right you have to have a minimum angle of projection to the listener. I don't claim to know what that angle is but the fact remains, the farther you get from the 2 channel drive source, the less the angle is.
It would also dictate that "You the listener" be positioned between the 2 beams. When riding, I don't tend to spend much time there.
If however you are entertaining listeners at the beach or parking lot, that's a different story. But here again, the source of the two signals are best case some 4 feet apart. That's less then most (if not all) home systems where the listener is only 10 to 25 feet or so away from the source.
Old    chris138            07-29-2004, 8:55 PM Reply   
hey duane hows it goin sry we didnt bye your tower speaker, my dad thought the sounded bad in the boat. but we did end up gettin tower speakers we got a coustom bo made with 8 6x9's, 2 down, 6 out the back, not quit as loud as nvs, but they still are loud as hell,, but yea we should hook up one time i stil wanna see what those nvs sound like while riding, well anyways good to hear from you,
chris divers
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-29-2004, 10:28 PM Reply   
Chris, no worries as they are best at a distance but glad you are happy with what you did get.
Demo rides are always free.....doesn't mean you have to buy. Give me a call anytime 408-569-6040

D out
Old    deltahoosier            07-29-2004, 11:04 PM Reply   
It is not so much about the stereo seperation as it is the ability to hear the left and right audio tracks. You would have to record your music mono or you may not hear some guitars or vocals in the music.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-30-2004, 7:38 AM Reply   
Rod, you raise a good question. Is it your opinion that taking a 2 channel input and essentially mixing it into a single channel will result in some total signal loss at the transducer?
Old    mtb1981            07-30-2004, 7:49 AM Reply   
why are you guys running 8 ohm speakers anyway? If I'm not mistaken, each doubling of resistance equals a 50% drop in power, but an increase in clarity, so the point is why are you going for audiophile sound in open air? I would ger a pair of 2 ohm speakers and a nice non-distorting amp and just push them.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-30-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
a pair of evids bridged to 4 ohms would rock.
Old    mtb1981            07-30-2004, 11:44 AM Reply   
I'm probably going to get reamed by everyone for this one, but why not compresison horns? THey wont give you any mid-bass, but the mid-highs and up will absolutely scream. Plus you can just keep powering those things if they arent loud enough for you.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-30-2004, 4:37 PM Reply   
Well Mark, I have already answered your call,
www.NVS1.net
These are designed specifically for the rider....and yes they scream. Each component is 8 ohms but they way I've put it together it provides a 4 ohm load to your amp.
D out

(Message edited by nvsairwarrior on July 30, 2004)
Old    deltahoosier            07-30-2004, 5:52 PM Reply   
I am just saying that most mono amps or amps bridged to mono only use one channel and then utilize both amplifier portions of the amp. If your music has let's say two guitars. One from the left and one from the right you will miss on of the tracks. Now, if you have something that will truely mix the inputs then you are golden. People are correct, stereo seperation is not an issue at 75' back on speakers seperated by 4 feet.

I totally agree horns are the way to go. I wanted to use them on my boat, but, decided against it. I just wanted to by some prefab cans and include it with the boat payment instead of putting out a thousand or two in cash.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-01-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
I have not had the honor of hearing Duanes speakers but every person that has give glowing reviews. The Evid's do a great job but the horn they use is not in the same league as what Duane is using. We've been playing around with them for a while and are impressed by how efficent horns are.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-01-2004, 11:27 PM Reply   
Bill,
I haven't had the honor of riding from one of your towers but every person that has gives glowing reviews.
Billl, I think we should find a way of solving this mutual issue. I'd really like to see a set of NVS Entity's on a Monster Tower. I can't imagine a more Monsterably NVS set up then that.
D out

(Message edited by nvsairwarrior on August 01, 2004)
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2004, 12:15 AM Reply   
well you would think if you have enough power you would not have to do that.I have a pair of evids with a kicker 800.2 and they sound awesome,Bill I have read were you run yours from a 800.4 are they ran at 8 ohm or 4 ohm.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-02-2004, 4:05 PM Reply   
Duane,

My MonsterTower is right around the corner waiting for a set of promo NVS speakers anytime

Rob, I have my left and right channels are wyed together at the amp. I didn't give it much thought, just grabbed the amp out of my car and a Y adapter from the parts drawer and threw them together one afternoon before going out boarding because I wanted music from the tower.

The Y adapter is downstream from the low-level gain control that I use to control the tower speaker volume. So I think that I have stereo in the boat when the tower is turned down, when I turn it up everything gets mashed together by the Y?

Over the weekend we went camping and we put about 6 hours on the meter, lots of listening. I didn't seem to be missing anything. I know of one AC/DC song that normally has a guitar intro in one channel and vocals in the other, I will try to find it and see if I am missing anything.

If I wanted to spend more money on a stronger amp I could probably run them in stereo but I am happy with my $100 amp running the EVIDs in mono so it will remain as is.
Old    stevenf            08-02-2004, 5:31 PM Reply   
the nvs are so loud...i have the 1010's and couldnt be happier with the performance. If your going to buy tower speakers in the future dont waste your time with anything else buy the best the first time save yourself the time. GET the NVS. Its the best to be riding and hear the music clearly both inside and outside of the wake.
Old    deltahoosier            08-02-2004, 5:46 PM Reply   
If you used a Y adapter for the amp, you most likely will just have a level issue. If you have two inputs with the same info, you most likely will have potentially 2x the signal level. If you have a track that has a guitar on one side and everything else is pretty much on both, I would think the info on both will add together and your single track will have half the signal. I am sure there is all sorts of little theorectical phase issues and all that, but, I think that would be the issue on the first order.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-02-2004, 8:49 PM Reply   
Mike,
Do I dare ask what would become of your Evids if an NVS demo set-up were to appear on your Monster Nauty?
I might consider taking a trade in?
j/k You seem very happy with your setup and I wouldn't want to interfere with a good relationship.

Steven, glad you're still stoked.

Rod, I've run in mono before and pretty sure I'm not missing anything. Could it be certain amps or wiring techniques? I know allot of my set ups are being powered by PCX4125's and if you don't use a Y cable on the input you get mono out but everything is there. I know because that's what I often use to test NVS Entity's before shipping.
Old    deltahoosier            08-02-2004, 9:47 PM Reply   
It only matters if the source audio has left and right parts. It may be the amp or the wiring techniques. It would be something to just keep in mind. Try something like Led Zepplin's WHole Lot of Love. They have a part that goes back and forth in it.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-02-2004, 10:08 PM Reply   
Rod,
Good idea. I think I have that track, if not I'm sure one of my kids do. I can't believe that some of the classic stuff some 30 years old is popular amongst many teenagers once again.
BTW, where abouts in DB are you?
FYI I'm near the end of Beaver Ln. (Pebble Bay side)
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-03-2004, 6:28 AM Reply   
where can i see the nvs systems? are they on the monster website or where?
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
http://www.nvs1.net/
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-03-2004, 4:10 PM Reply   
Duane,

If you promo'd me some NVSs I would throw my Evids in the lake... (or maybe sell them on e-bay)

Like I said in an earlier post, the NVS system is the best thing I have ever heard while boarding.

Mike
Old    deltahoosier            08-03-2004, 5:08 PM Reply   
I'm in the poor section over by the Safeway. West SIIIIDDDDDEEEEE!!!!!!! HAHaha....

Funny, even break dancing is coming back with kids. funny stuff....
Old    deltahoosier            08-03-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
I you ever want to play stereo, I am always up for it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-03-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
Rod,
sent you a message, it bounced. ping me.
Mike

(Message edited by mikeski on August 03, 2004)
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-03-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
Mike,
Sorry but I guess I didn't see that earlier one but thanks for the compliment.
I did get your pm and if you are getting Rod invovled I'd make it for sure. I'm currently set up in "stereo" on my ride with a budget RF 801x that can be had for only $275. (that's what Mike heard a few weeks ago)
Rod, no poor side in DB. I might be on a rich street but belive me when I say I've got the cheapest place there.
D out
Old    deltahoosier            08-05-2004, 3:57 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,

I fixed my email on my profile. I sent you a email Mike.

I hear ya Duane. Actually no poor place anywhere in the Bay Area. Stuffs getting too expensive.

Rod
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-09-2004, 5:59 PM Reply   
Rod,

You guys were gone by the time we finished riding yesterday. What did you think of the NVS speakers?

Mike
Old    deltahoosier            08-10-2004, 12:36 AM Reply   
Hey Mike,

Thanks for having us over. The girls loved hanging out and swimming. We had to bail. I was not sure when you guys were coming back in and we had to get something to eat. We are having a get together this Saturday for my wifes birthday and you are welcome to come over and hang with us.

As far as the NVS speakers go I loved them...Duane has the real deal. I was talking to him about them and I was telling him that is exactly what I wanted to do when I first got my boat, but, decided I did not want to deal with it and got the best thing I could get from a manufacturer at the time. I wish I had his option at the time. Duane says he has some ideas for the '05 product line that he is really stoked about. We were talking about the price and it sounded maybe a little higher per unit than some manufactrers, until you look at the fact there are two 10" drivers per set vs two 6.5" drivers per set in his tower setup and horn loaded tweeters are extremely efficient. We talked about how car tweeters are really not designed for sound projection and that regular car stereo tweeters are designed to put sound out in about 1 foot. That is why I notice phase issues when riding behind boats with car tweeters. You will notice sound kind of moving in and out as you move from side to side. That is phase cancelation. I did not notice that with Duane's setup. I felt like I was sitting in the boat.

I always knew I wanted this type of setup from day one. I did a install in college in my buddies blazer using two musical instrument woofers (like Duane has) and a 15 inch sub along with individual tweets and mids. I tell you what, that truck rocked. You could hear every bass guitar string and it was solid sound all the way through the spectrum. That is why I knew I wanted a tower setup like that. They are so loud, you can get away with one set of tower speakers if you had too. That also means you can buy a mono amp if need be. At that distance, stereo is no issue. Then the fact you have pro audio speakers puts you in a whole different league. If you want two sets, it still is not so much more expensive than a high quality set up from other manufacturers. Warranties are better with pro audio equipment, quality is better, experience is better.

(Message edited by deltahoosier on August 10, 2004)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-10-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
Glad you enjoyed Duanes "demo ride" we will try to make it over Saturday, please PM me with details.
Mike
mikeskiw@comcast.net