Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-23-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any experience with the Honda AquaTrax line of PWCs? What model do you have and have you been happy with the reliability, maintenance, cost, etc.? It would mainly be used for wakeskating but also just for riding around the lake on.

I don't know much about the Hondas, but I saw on their website that they are the sponsor of the Billabong XXL big wave surf contest and I would assume that most manufacturers would want to be involved in that contest because of the video and print exposure, and I am assuming that in those conditions, Billabong demands a reliable PWC.

My roommate is looking to get one this weekend and wanted to know what I knew about the Hondas. I think he is looking at the F-12 or the turbocharged F-12X.

Thanks for any input,
Andrew
Old    dabigkahuna            06-23-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
I just got through doing a lot of research on getting a new ski for Tow-in Surfing. My conclusion was that the Honda Aquatrax F12 is the most reliable, fuel efficient, and stable PWC out there. The Turbo-Charged F12 is not recommended for board sports, because the turbo kicks-in at mid to high rpm, which is where you don't need it while towing. The set-up I got is basically the same as teh Billabong team boats, with High Surf Accessories throughout. I went Tow-in surfing 3 times before I got down to a 1/4 tank! The Aquatrax is a fine piece of machinery, very highly recommended!
Old    dabigkahuna            06-23-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
Here's some shots of the ski...
Old    dabigkahuna            06-23-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-23-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
We have a 2007 F-12X turbo.

We bought it last year in the US and brought it back to Canada as they didn't sell them here yet.

They're not as fast as say a RXP/RXT, but pull a decent top end. The hull design is really fun to play around with, and it is very nimble for its size.

The turbo is fine for water sports. I pull a tube and board on ours and we havn't had any issues at all. A tank of gas with weekend usage at towing speeds lasts a few weekends for us.

Maintenance is easy, lube some joints, change spark plugs every year and oil change etc.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-23-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
This is great info, exactly what I was looking for. Right now it's just a question whether he wants to get the turbo or not.

The High Surf Accessories do look sweet, but unfortunately there's not much use for them here in Texas.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-23-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
this is a good forum for PWC info

http://www.pwctoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18
Old    dabigkahuna            06-24-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
Turbos are good for top-end speed, but I would tell him to save the money and go with the non-turbo. The turbo is just one more thing to break, and really doesn't do anything for you at wakeboarding/wakeskating speeds. I don't know any tow-in surfers that use the turbo, for these reasons. If he wants high speed performance, than go for the turbo. But, if it's just boardsports, I would pass on the turbo, just my 2 cents.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-24-2008, 11:07 PM Reply   
Would you guys mind sharing some of the resources that you used to make your decision? I'm very passively looking for a ski to use for wakeskating and I've been looking at a couple of forums and stuff, but I'm always looking for more info. I've only ever been out on SeaDoo GTX and GTI's so that's really all I know.
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-25-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
I prefer the Sea-Doo's when it comes to PWC's they are very nice they ride great and are very safe they are also not as loud as the aquatrax
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-25-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Its a Honda, end of story, everything Honda makes is very reliable.
Old    dabigkahuna            06-28-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
My research consisted of talking to as many legitimate tow-in surfers and PWC Rescue lifeguards in Hawaii as possible. No forums, etc., just real-world legitimate feedback from people who use the PWCs in life and death situations. I took their words very seriously. My thought process was that I needed a PWC that was as reliable and safe as possible, because when you are in the ocean with six-story high walls of waves coming at you, you need your watercraft to do its job and get you out of Dodge!

By the way, the Honda non-turbo Aquatrax is really quite.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-28-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
He got the non-turbo F-12 yesterday and we skated all day on it today. It was my first time on a Honda PWC and I was really impressed. Great choice and thanks for all of the input.
Old    dabigkahuna            06-28-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
Sweet!

Make sure you tell your friend to follow the engine break-in instructions. It's for the first tank of gas, then he can go hog-wild!

Have fun, good choice!
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-29-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Not that the Honda is a bad machine by any measure... in fact they are very good.
Just understand the Billabong thing a corporate deal not necessarily based on the Honda being the best.
For a very reliable well handling, efficient ski it's hard to beat a yamaha. SeaDoo's are good also-a little more powerful model for model but have had some hiccups here and there with reliability. A lot of people dig the kawasakis but I have found them to be less efficient, noisy, and rough.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-30-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
Every crew should have one!

Perfect for sliders:
Upload
That's a good sized dude I'm pulling up:
Upload
Weeds happen...safely invert with no worries about the oil system or motor and everything in the compartments stays bone dry every time:
Upload

Typical Honda product. Does everything it's meant to do and does it well, forever.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-30-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
I actually find Honda to be more quiet and not as annoying as the SeaDoo 4 stroke counterparts. We have neighbours with a new SeaDoo 4 stroke and it is loud compared to our Turbo Honda.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-30-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
Yeah, that noise comment is kinda outta left field, reminds me of some of the crazy stuff posted in a MC vs Malibu type thread.

Seadoo obviously has been around and offers a good product and there are reasons for buyers to prefer them. But, I think if someone thought an Aquatrax was noisy it was either broken or there was Yamaha generator running nearby.