Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-16-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
Hi there, going to install a heater and shower this winter as a project (and replace the entire sound system as it go stolen at the end of this summer......totally sucks) has anybody installed either of these?? Where is the best place to get them first?? have you got any info that might be useful on the install???? Pictures would be great!! I have a MC X Star with the LQ9 which has the closed water cooling system!! Many thanks
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-16-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
closed cooling system,as far as i know you can not install a shower on closed cooled systems,heater works perfect.
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-16-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
oh thanks that might be a useful peice of info!! do you know where the best place to get a heater from!! also has anyone completed an install before??
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-16-2007, 5:49 PM Reply   
Google heatercraft...good heaters and generally what the man. use. Fairly easy install if you have questions heatercraft cust. serv. is there to help.

(Message edited by johnsvt on September 16, 2007)
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-16-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
I think you can still install a shower, you just have to tap into the water intake or drill a hole to get the water into the system. I thought the showers didn't use the water that had been run through the engine anyway, they are electric heat.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-16-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
That would be a huge load in a 12 volt bus, I don’t think we're talking about electric heating.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-16-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
Have the ZR6 which is closed cooling and have a shower and heater so obviously it may be done. How to do it, I have no idea.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-16-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
That would be a huge load in a 12 volt bus, I don’t think we're talking about electric heating.
The water for the Shower is heated electrically, not the heater. The water runs through a small box and it is heated up as it goes through.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-16-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
Timmy, I must say that that's new to me as well. I've always thought that it was run through the engine and that's how it was heated. Maybe a different water jacket in the block itself??? I don't have any experience with showers so I'm not an expert on the subject.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-16-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
search,..it has been discussed before including pics etc.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-16-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
The heater is easy. You just have to take the time to fit the pieces before you drill holes or mount anything. I'd suggest that you install ball valves on both inlet and outlet lines so you can turn it off or work on it without losing the use of the boat.
I think you could get hot water for the shower from the heat exchanger on your closed cooling system without too much trouble. The water to the exchanger is pumped in so you should have enough pressure to get warm water out of it to shower. It won't be as hot as that from a fresh water system though. I have not installed a shower, but I'm putting in a second heater this winter.
I got mine from www.biggunsmarine.com in Texas for good prices. The hot tubes are really the way to go.
Old     (madvlin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-16-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
porsche uses the muffler to heat cars
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-17-2007, 12:39 AM Reply   
doin the same as you this winter....heaters easy as can be....your motor owner's manual should indicate the in & out ports to use.....as for the shower....I may try and use the heat source from the exhaust manifold drain port; as I have a closed cooled ZR6.......don't think it will be as hot....but hopefully enough to unthaw my feet & hands in the spring.....
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-17-2007, 4:12 AM Reply   
I very much doubt the water is heated electrically. The electric show I have at home is 7.5KW and that is a low power one. You would never be able to draw that througha 12V system as it would be in excess of 600A.
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-17-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
Guys that is great!!! Did a search to find some pictures but could not find anything? Just to get an idea on the extent of the work involved?!? has anbody got a link???
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-17-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
Since the shower runs off of engine heat the engine must be running to work. Standing on the platform with the engine running is a good way to get co2 poisioning. I understand that some boat builders will not install factory showers because of this.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-17-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
Try Discount inboard marine to buy the heater and shower they are good to deal with. Also heated water comes from the water that runs through exhaust system of the boat. Shower can be done on closed loop cooling system.
Old     (bloat)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-17-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
talk to heatercraft.com.....they make em' & sell em......
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-17-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2002/heater.asp
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-17-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
George is right, at least in CA no more transom showers. Thats the reason Wakecraft has them hidden up front.
Old     (fig)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-17-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
Great topic, thanks for the article Wakeworld. Just thought of this as I froze my teats off this past weekend.