Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    wakegal02            08-26-2005, 3:14 PM Reply   
I was wondering if anyone knows of a high school that has a wakeboard club. They have them in colleges, but most people would like to try it before they get to college, or they are already riding in high school. I would like to have one at my high school simply to have some people to ride with. I know there are people in my high school that ride but I wish there was a way to get everyone that rides together in a group so we could all learn from each other. It sounds like a good idea to me but that might just be b/c I thought of it. What are your opinions on this? How do you get one started, boats etc. if there are schools that have clubs?
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
I was thinkin of the same thing last year. Im a senior this year and i dont think there would be enough time for me to start one. I should have done it last year. But its an awesome idea. I would love for my school to have a wakeboard club. good luck with that and let me know how you do.

Jamie
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-26-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
we kind of tried to get one going at Barbe High. Actually, we didnt really try that hard, but it is kind of hard to get enough response at a high school to a signifigant amount of people to be in a niche club like that. we had a hockey team at our school for a year because our town had semi-pro team, but even with everyone that played hockey at our school there wasnt much of a demand for a hockey team at the school because everyone already played at the local rink. i think the same goes for wakin, everyone already has people they ride with, boats they go out on, etc. its cool to ride with a bunch of different people, but in the end we have people that we all ride with on a regular basis. plus, at a college theres like thousands of people to get riders from and even then not that many join the clubs compared to to number of kids enrolled
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
I want one.

NO ONE at my school wakeboards

I gave a speech on it for speech class.

People were like "what's a wakeboard'

sigh...
Old    lost_37            08-27-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
Yeah right now me and some freinds are trying to get one at Clear Lake High school so far it looks like its going to work. We have a lot of kids that wakeboard and a lot of kids that want to learn how to wakeboard; so we went to the superintendant of our school and requested an alternative sports club. We told him that a lot of kids dont play sports and we need something for those kind of people to do to stay active becuase "idol hands are the devils playground" and other stuff like that. The club would also include snowboarding so we have something to do in the winter.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-27-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
I know when I was in high school we really wanted to get one started. We had alot of talks about it, but it helped having Jeff House at the high school, haha. We never accomplished anything. He's not there anymore, and I'm a senior in college now, so I assume it's dead in the water. Best of luck to you all!
Old    drew_a6            08-27-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
well smae thing happened to me at my school clinto, only people asked what a WAVE board was... its hopeless... i hate my high school
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-27-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
Darin Jackson, you are from Clear Lake? Do you know an ALlison Pivniska from Upper Lake?
Old    lost_37            08-27-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
BK- I know of her, my cousin Brent Rinker and his family are friends with the Pivniskas, Chris, Butch, Alison, ect..
Old    blondeboarder            08-29-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
i'm a senior to that is an awsome idea, but no one in my school wakeboards, and if they do they dont compete and are really serious about it!! But yeah that was an awsome idea if you have a lot of people that wakeboard in your school.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2005, 6:01 PM Reply   
i'm in the same boat as ashley, it's just hard to find a lot of kid boarders here in the midwest, I think..a lot more snow boarders
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-29-2005, 6:34 PM Reply   
we have a program in charlotte with about 7 schools right now. They come and practice twice a week and then right before school is out we have a big contests where all the highschools compete before our regular contest. It has been pretty fun and doubling in size every year...
Old    wakegal02            08-29-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
what are the 7 different schools?
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
that would be so awesome i would pay big bucks for an awesome club like that..why am I the only cool kid at my whole schooooool?
Old     (ashleyo)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-29-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
yea...that would be so awesome. like most of you guys not many people at my school wakeboard. and the ones that do, they just do it a few times a year. that could be really cool though. cos you could go riding straight afterschool.
Old    wakegal02            08-31-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
Adam I was just wondering how you have a program in charlotte,NC when you live in SC...Just curious. Unless there is a charlotte in SC that I don't know about.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-31-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
my sister is going to start one this year. it'll be more of a a"let's go boarding after school" kind of thing.
Old    blondeboarder            09-10-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
Is anybody from Oklahoma? If so when you say the word wakeboarding do they go, what is that?
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-11-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Adam is referring to the SouthtownRiders School League which has schools from South and North Carolina. This was there second year and it went really well. They have a tournament at the end of the season with individual and team champs. There were different divisions by skill level and gender. STR gave each school one day a week to come out and practice as a team with STR providing boats and coaching. I believe that was about 2 months worth in the spring with a tournament in June. Obviously riders could ride on their own or with teammates outside of that one day but each team got one day's worth of solid coaching and riding from STR.

If you are interested in a school league e-mail me and I will see if STR can provide some info on how to do it.