Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (gr8white)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-06-2010, 12:35 AM Reply   
Hey guys I have been on the site for a while now and gonna be getting a boat soon and I am looking for a v-drive in the 22-23ft range that will handle rough water the best. I grew up skiing behind an old v-drive flatbottom. Then my dad bought a 89 mastercraft prostar 190 brand new and loved that boat until we got rid of it around 1999. I go out to the local lakes here in so-cal on the weekend but also spend 75% of the time out at my dads house by Havasu so I need something that is gonna handle that monster weekend chop on the river and Havasu. I have been looking at all kinds of v-drives but haven't really decided on one yet. My dad just lost his 24 foot bluewater deckboat (like chaparral) so I am looking at getting a boat now to keep the family out on the water and probably just keep at my pops house. BTW when we go out we usually have 8-12 people atleast with us. Thanks guys.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-06-2010, 6:33 AM Reply   
here is an 06 centurion elite v for a great price although at the top of your price range http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/2092378465.html
If you can stretch your budget some here is a stellar buy on an 08 centurion falcon http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/2083958953.html
both boats have been for sale for a while now and I'm sure either could be had for less than asking price considering the time of year but prices will be going back up after the first of the year when people start remembering they have boats
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-06-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
I would look for a Mobius V or a Mobius XLV for a big, deep boat in that price range.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-06-2010, 6:54 AM Reply   
Take a look at Tige maybe a 22ve(22v) or 24ve(24v). I don't own one but man they handle chop better than any boat I have been in. I would put them on the list to search for. Great free board so sides are real high.
Old     (gr8white)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-06-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
I would think that something like a centurion concourse or a sanger v230 would ride better due to the deep v in the bottom of the hull. Not just a boat that has alot of freeboard. But hey thats why I am here to get you're guys opinions. It has been a toss up between a v-drive wake boat or something like a laveycraft or cobra with a deep v cause I know they handle big chop but the seating configuration is not so good for large groups of people and with our first child on the way I know a wakeboard boat is what I want so I can also teach my kids how to board and ski on something comfy. Our old ski boat was just a heck of alot more family friendly than an I/O. I know back in the day when we got our mastercraft my dads friend bought a malibu skier and I know now malibu is a very very nice boat but back then that malibu was definately nowhere near as solid as our mastercraft and you could definately tell when it got choppy. That malibu skier felt like it was gonna rattle apart and the dash was gonna rip off if you hit something big. So that's why I wanna know what you guys have ridden in and what rides solid. Thanks again for the help guys.

Last edited by gr8white; 12-06-2010 at 9:19 AM.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-06-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Guess I should have explained further that the Tige has a deep V much like the Centurion. I have been in both. Both good boats but like the Tige a bit better. Go over to the Tige owners site lots of those guys ride on Havasu and will tell you. Tige boats are sturdy as hell. I own an 02 xstar and would never take it on a giant lake where swells get high. I love my boat but it will beat the hell out of you if your in big chop. I am sure someone will chime in that has one and they build big wide boats so lots of space. Would put it up against the centurion all day long but never been in a Sanger. Definitely worth checking it out. Good luck
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-06-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
I go to havasu quite a bit and have been in many wake boats and a few go fast boats. I make the trip from havasu springs to London bridge quite a bit. As you probably know , the go fast boats handle the chop substantially better then the wake boats. That centurion elite that was posted is a non C4 hull and it will get beat in the havasu chop.

The boats that I have done the springs to bridge trip (in your price range) are an XLV, an older VLX, a non C4 elite v and an avalanche. Out of these wake boats my preference for boating at havasu would be an avalanche. It has a decent amount of space and handles the havasu water well. This time of year you may be able to find an 04 or 05 in your price range.
Old     (gr8white)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-06-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by elc View Post
I go to havasu quite a bit and have been in many wake boats and a few go fast boats. I make the trip from havasu springs to London bridge quite a bit. As you probably know , the go fast boats handle the chop substantially better then the wake boats. That centurion elite that was posted is a non C4 hull and it will get beat in the havasu chop.

The boats that I have done the springs to bridge trip (in your price range) are an XLV, an older VLX, a non C4 elite v and an avalanche. Out of these wake boats my preference for boating at havasu would be an avalanche. It has a decent amount of space and handles the havasu water well. This time of year you may be able to find an 04 or 05 in your price range.
I believe that the avalanche is based off the 23ft concourse (typhoon) hull which has that really big v in it. I will definately look at the avalanches. Anyone care to chime in on a little older maristar 230 vrs or mb v23 or the calabria cal air pro-v? Has anyone been in or own these boats? VLX is another boat I have been considering.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-06-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8white View Post
I believe that the avalanche is based off the 23ft concourse (typhoon) hull which has that really big v in it. I will definately look at the avalanches. Anyone care to chime in on a little older maristar 230 vrs or mb v23 or the calabria cal air pro-v? Has anyone been in or own these boats? VLX is another boat I have been considering.
VLX is an awesome boat. For 20-25k you are going to find an early 2000. I ride behind an 02 weekly, we have taken it to havasu a couple times and it does okay in the chop. Given your situation (lots of peeps and chop), I would go with a later model avalanche over an early model VLX.
Old     (gr8white)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-08-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tip elc. I am still waiting to hear what people have to say about the mb v23 in chop and the calabria cal air pro v. I found a nice mb v23 for 29K, I know a bit over my budget but from all the other prices it seems like a pretty good deal. I actually called a guy 2 days ago with a 01 sanger v210 for 12k obo, and a guy is buying my old mopar this weekend and I would have had cash but that guy sold it in less than 22 hours. Here is a pic of the v23. It has ballast and all the options with 180 hours, 12 speakers and sub, and has the pcm zr6 375 horse engine just not sure if it has the 2 speed trans or not. Only thing I kinda noticed with the calabria is it seems the interior is nice and wide as I have seen them at a boat dealer but seems kinda shallow?
Attached Images

Last edited by gr8white; 12-08-2010 at 9:39 AM.
Old     (gr8white)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-08-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Also have looked at a 2001 centurion concourse air warrior. I really like the boat and the size with the nice big v but not sure if I really like the walk through transom and the freeboard on the stern seems kinda shallow.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-08-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
a lot of the boats you are listing are shallow inside with lower freeboard..
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-08-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
I own a 2009 Calabria Team V. I love the boat puts out a good wake but your right the freeboard is a little shollow but not bad. You won't find another boat that has the interior room that the Calabria does that was one of the reasons that I went with my boat. I don't think you could go wrong with either a Calabria or that MB I think they are both are good boats.
Old     (gr8white)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-08-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
Hows you're boat do in rough water?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-08-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
I have ridden in a lot of wake boats and in my opinion the wake boats that handle shop the best are Centurion Avalanches and Typhoons. They ride so smooth.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-08-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
I ride a tige 22v and a centurion avalanche. Both handle nasty water well. I think any deep v boat should do pretty darn well in heavy chop.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-09-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
I think calabria's are a pos. Nice boat but the wake feels like you ran into a curb it sucks to wake board behind. My cousin has a Calabria and it has way way less room than even a lsv. Maybe they have changed since 2006 bit I don't think so.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-09-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/2096553668.html here is a nice Avy that I'm sure could be had for less than asking price
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-09-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
Drew don't know what Calabria you cousin has but mine has a ton of room more room than any 22ft boat that I have been in. I used to own a Centurion Elite V which handled chop great. but I didn't like how all the ballast took up a lot of the storage.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-09-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Drew, I am not sure how you can say they are a POS. I had an 03 Cal Air Direct drive and it was a pretty nice boat as far as fit and finish go. Also, I am not sure what LSV you are talking about but if it is a Moomba LSV, even the newer ones, you are incorrect. The Calabria ProV has the roomiest interior of any 21'6" boat. It might not be deep but it is like a friggen living room. The bow space suffers for this but the main cockpit is huge.
Old     (gr8white)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-09-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
I really like the Calabria that I saw and well to be quite honest now that I am getting older I still board and ski but not nearly as much as I used to when I was younger. I do care about the boat throwing a nice wake but honestly about 80% of my decision is about how it rides in some chop and how roomy it is. I am in the boat 90% of the time and out back 10% of the time ya know. I don't want a huge payment for something that is gonna realistically get used 5 months a year ya know. I am more recreational now and about chilling and having fun rather than trying to sink my boat with the most amount of weight to get the biggest wake. I am over all that, getting older sucks and I am only 31 lol. This is a family boat and not a hardcore wake machine. Please don't roast me lol.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-09-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
If you are looking for more of a hang out boat then you really can't go wrong with a Calabria. Being able to put 8-9 people on you boat and not having to step on everybody to get around your boat is nice. And 31 is not old.
Attached Images

Old     (gr8white)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-09-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake26 View Post
If you are looking for more of a hang out boat then you really can't go wrong with a Calabria. Being able to put 8-9 people on you boat and not having to step on everybody to get around your boat is nice. And 31 is not old.
I know it just feels like it lately, my mastiff had 16 puppies 8 weeks ago and I have finally gotten 10 out of the house but not much sleep at all the last 8 weeks and my wife is pregnant and I work nights so I have just been down feeling old lol. And its the holidays and I hate shopping. I really like a concourse I found I am just not sure I like the fact that all the seating is on the left side of the boat and none on the right except for the driver. I would think that would really weight the boat down on that side, I could be wrong though.