Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (johnny_j)      Join Date: May 2009       05-12-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
please forgive me if this is a basic question, I just recently purchased my first ski boat.
I have a 2000 sanger and am curious to know what are the 2 round drain looking covers on the bottom of the boat are? I'ts direct drive and the drains are almost directly under the motor on both sides. The boat has not been in the water in over 10 months but was serviced over a week ago and water is still dripping out? just wondering if this is normal? and where the water is coming from? the boat has a ballast system but i dont think it would be from this as there would be no reason for the marine shop to fill them up?
thanks guys.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-12-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
On the bottom of you boat under the engine there should be one round hole that is right in the middle that has a brass T-handle plug. That is your main drain plug. There may also be one on the transom by the exhaust flaps. There should also be another hole under the engine but probably farther back than the drain plug. Maybe right by the transmission. If you look in the engine compartment there should be a fairly large hose that goes to the transmission cooler and then up to the water pumps on the front of the engine. This thru-hull should have a scupper type thing that forces the water into it when you are driving forward. There may be one or 2 other holes as well. This would be for your ballast and there would either be a thru hull near the engine somewhere or it could be back on the transom with a screen over it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-12-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
If the shop ran your boat, then water could be dripping from the engine's water intake. Over a week is a tad long for it to drip, but nothing to be alarmed about. If the boat has been moved or even climbed in/out of you could move it just enough to cause it to drip out. The water intake loops thru the tranny cooler then up front to the water pump in front of the engine, so there is a good amount of water that could leak out before it stops.

welcome to site, enjoy your first inboard.
Old     (johnny_j)      Join Date: May 2009       05-12-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
Thank's guy's,
I was thinking it was left over water from when they ran the motor. When I lifted the engine cover I did not see any water on the floor. So I was thinking it was some sort of leak or something? Good to know this is nothing to be alarmed about. I'm pretty pumped to get this thing out in the water!
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-12-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
The time to worry about leaks is when water is coming into the boat.

Does your boat have a ballast system?
If so, make sure it is drained when your boat is on your trailer.

If your ballast system has water in it, the water could leak slowly out of the thru hull fittings that your ballast fill pumps are hooked to.