Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-01-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/712117.html?1246485912

Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-01-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
I agree that there needs to be etiquette (sp?) no matter what watersport.

If I happen to be surfing and boarders start riding near me, then I try to keep my wake straight and no powerturns(I always idle, spin, back to my rider). We even sit and wait till the boarders are past us before starting.

Now if I'm boarding and see rollers, well just hit em like double-ups.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-01-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
didn't know there were a few wakeboarders that really don't like surfing, probably because they can't do it or don't let go of the rope, so they are really just wakeskating.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       07-01-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
I love the bit about owning the water!! Get over it! Everybody loves the butter. First come first serve as far as I'm concerned.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       07-01-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
I had to post in favor of the, what ever the hell you want to do in the butter!
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-02-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
It's a shame that these guys feel like this. Really everyone who is on the water should know the etiquette(sp?). If someone is wakeboarding/skating in an area then by all means go find another area to wakesurf. And Vice versa. And if the guy wakesurfing is in the good water then you should have gone out earlier. I am not taking sides because I love wakeskating as much as surfing. But because of a few people not being considerate we all get a bad wrap as wakesurfers.

And how about the guy who had the beach wave breaking and was all "try and paddle out at one of my local spots" GOOB
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
that's not a beach wave break buddy...its harry gettin in and even harrier gettin out in the rocks...
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Might not a beach break but definitely not as bad as you make it out to be. I surfed there when I was in Santa Cruz and it was nothing compared to some of the spots in Baja

edit: and that's beside the point which is nobody has the right to tell me what I can or cannot do on a public waterway. I pay the same taxes you do.

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 02, 2009)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-02-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
I bet it's the same story that water skiers told wakeboarders a few years back! You guys need to move to less populated areas:-)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
I like how they talk about all the "newbie" wakesurfers doing speed turns yet every boat owner who wakeboards is "experienced". Give me a break, I see just as many clueless boat owners indulging in wakeboarding as anything else. When wakesurfing there is no need to get back to the rider quickly (because they're not as far away.)

So if anyone does do speed turns, please don't and respect everyone else's right to the water
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-02-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
I meant Beach break meaning Ocean wave sorry. Still will surf it if I make it there. You will never tell me where I can surf.

And as for the speed turns. How can you speed turn when your running at 10mph?????
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
...and the rider is 4x as close to the boat.

Seriously, a speed turn would save all of about 3 seconds and I personally haven't witnessed it while wakesurfing. I mostly just see wakeboarders behind Bayliners doing this.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-02-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
I know one thing wakeboarding hate my wave,so watch out for big mama.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-02-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
I moved up here to not deal with tons of people, but everyone has the right to the water.

Here is your choice, if you want it all to yourself.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=durham,+ca&sl l=35.976805,-78.906843&sspn=0.369798,0.358086&g=durham&ie=UTF8& ll=39.682206,-121.887431&spn=0.01085,0.015653&t=h&z=17

This is about 30 mins from me in Durham, a private lake on his property for wakeboarding.

Here is another.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=10642+Chayote +Drive++Durham,+CA+95938&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=86.887675,128.232422&ie=UTF8&t=h&z= 17&iwloc=A

And it is for sale for just under $2 Million.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/10642-Chayote-Drive_Durham_CA_95938_1106109560

And last but not least, these guys are neighbors.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=durham,+ca&sl l=35.976805,-78.906843&sspn=0.369798,0.358086&g=durham&ie=UTF8& ll=39.676888,-121.882539&spn=0.021701,0.031307&t=h&z=16

This is all in Durham, you would never guess driving through Durham.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
There's so many those in Phoenix. I saw at least 6 of them flying over just a small section of the city.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-02-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
Y, they are cool, but tough to surf on. We rode on one for an INT event, they are 6-8 feet deep usually. Don't know what it would take to build one at 20ft. And they put some crazy chemicals in them to keep it blue, nasty stuff to get in.
Old     (valsurfer)      Join Date: May 2006       07-02-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
for that kind of $$$ u can get a lake front estate in lake tahoe lol
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
nah, just go riding on the Delta instead. Apparently there's butter all day long and the wakeboarders aren't uptight at all.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
BTW- I know others here wakeboard & wakeskate as well. I suggest writing O'brien letting them know how disappointed you are that that a representative of their company would publicly speak in such a negative manner towards a growing segment of the wakesports community.

http://www.obrien.com/contact_us.asp
Old     (ride2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-03-2009, 10:50 PM Reply   
Are you joking that steamer lane in santa cruz is gnarly every kook in the world has surfed there. I hope you guys saying wakesurfing isnt surfing are having fun this summer when the lane is flat. Oh yea isnt there stairs there that the city put in? so gnarly wake up.
Old     (ride2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-03-2009, 10:52 PM Reply   
Oh yea and its so hard to get out. All you do is walk out to the end of the point and jump off.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-03-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
actually jack, when its flat im wakeboarding. anytime you want to roll out lets see it. ill meet you at third reef buddy. good luck. oh if the lane is to easy for you i got a few more spots you can try. you got to be kidding me. lol what a joke.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-03-2009, 11:03 PM Reply   
i mean anytime too. lets do it big guy. this winter as soon as we get our first big north west. your on it man. ill see you at swift. or maybe big outer nat's. stick to a wake surf. but im so down to watch you "jump in at that lane"
Old     (ride2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-03-2009, 11:06 PM Reply   
yep im laughing to you must be a heavy santa cruz local third reef cant say I have seen anyone ever surf it except with a ski you must charge hard. maybe I could graduate up to stockton or maybe nb's. after the lane one day or maybe i will just stay at cowells where i belong. lol thanks for making me laugh oh yea wakeboarding is way more like surfing. then wakesurfing when i surf at cowells i usually where fruitboots attached to my 138 board and do flips out there. lol
Old     (ride2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-03-2009, 11:12 PM Reply   
anyone who can actually surf and rides big waves doesnt hype themselves up like you. sorry to say yes these waves have power but there not really big waves. much rather surf the sidewalks then big mushy outer bridges.I really do appreciate the laughs tonight. whatever you do wakesurf,wakeboard,waterski or surf have fun enjoy the water. Try not to talk so much hype about your spot santa cruz is so crowded and everyone is or thinks there a surfer here.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-03-2009, 11:14 PM Reply   
like i said anytime buddy. what a joke. at least you know where your place is at cowells ill give u that.
Old     (ride2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-03-2009, 11:26 PM Reply   
this is so good you have no idea if i really surf cowells or have grown up in santa cruz and maybe i can actually surf and do surf all your heavy spots up and down the coast that you think you charge so hard. question are you a tranny or have actually grown up in town. once again thanks for the laughs
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-03-2009, 11:54 PM Reply   
Tranny, dude now your killing me. this is rad. god i love ucsc. anyway, i would love to post my pic about arguing on the net but dave will get p.o. have a great summer and ill see you out there buddy. do what you do, wake, surf what ev. im to old for this.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-04-2009, 12:39 AM Reply   
so jack, on the real. past couple days we got some bowls off the wall at blacks. ill be there in the morning, or 4 pile, gonna try to grovel for a couple before the parade shows up. lets get a few squash this bs and get back to what this site and are love for water sports is about. cool!!! also, when its flat ive been really digging stand up paddling, looking for a setup on cl right now. i got alot of buddies that are big time paddlers, like warf to warf i.e. capitola to carmel types. so if you see a wobbly dude with a oar gettin his paddle on heading up north when its flat this summer its probably me, lol. my bad bro. this is wake world not hate world.(borat voice) high five!!

and to clear this thing up, wake surfing is all good. tubing is all good. its just about respecting each other on and off the water. each to his own. we all have bigger issues in norcal right now anyway besides hating on each other. the things are going between scc lakes with inspections and delta waters pump stations and so cal waters. we might be running out time and places to ride. we gotta stick together on this s--t.

(Message edited by westsiderippa on July 04, 2009)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-04-2009, 5:36 AM Reply   
now that last post I agree with
Old     (ride2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-04-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
yes you are definetly right. i just thought this whole thing was to funny. i agree enjoy the water its only all getting more crowded.but at least we can do it.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-04-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
amen brotha. see you in the water, lates B.
Old     (surfergal)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-06-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
Wow, I can't believe you people who are here telling any of us where we can surf! Who died and made you God!!! It was really hot a couple weeks ago, and we were on vacation. We were surfing Old River and having a great time. We decided to go to Union Point to eat. We decided to surf there. Soooo, we ended up surfing Vics to get to Union Point. I never thought I was doing anything wrong, and I still don't!! If I want to surf Vics, I will. You people who are doing all this talk about respect. My question to YOU IS. HOW ARE YOU RESPECTING US BY GETTING ON THIS BOARD AND TALKING C--P ABOUT PEOPLE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW??? I am a very respectable person. I'm all about respecting people. I have been on this Delta for over 25 years. I raised my family on this Delta. First we slalom skied. Then we wakeboarded and air-chaired and rode the sky ski. Then we started surfing. I was seriously injured 5 years ago and due to serious permanent nerve damage in my leg, can no longer ski, wakeboard, or sky ski. It is impossible for me to put my leg in the boots because it causes me excruciating pain. I was involved in a dog attack that left me with a severe neurological condition that is so painful, that 4 out of 5 people do not ever return to work after getting this condition. But I can surf because there are no boots. I know for a fact that's it's much easier to surf in smooth water. I surf with the BEST and know for a fact that it's easier for them to surf in smooth water, especially if they are performing the top technical tricks, which they are. So you people that say it's a rough water sport, obviously have never performed the tops tricks that the people I surf with perform. Due to my injury, I was not able to perform any watersports for 4 years. So when I was able to get back in the water and surf, I was so GRATEFUL!! I'm grateful to be able to perform a sport that I truly love. Maybe you people that are talking cr-- about surfing, should just be grateful that you live in a free country that allows you to CHOSE which sport to perform. This is the 4th of July week. Doesn't that have something to do with Independence???? I think the bigger problem that we have on our water ways is the DRUNKS!!!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
good for you Debbie for dealing with adversity and getting back on the water. Although I think because of your injury you're technically "allowed" to surf. Which is nothing but a strawman argument for me how do they know if someone is surfing because of an injury and why does that have to be a prerequisite to be able to surf, you should be able to do it for whatever reason you want. No 1 group has the right to tell another group what they can and cannot do. 8 years ago (as well as today) 1 wakeboard boat would do the same damage to the water as 5 waterski boats so I don't understand why they think this is any different.

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 06, 2009)

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 06, 2009)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
Oh yeah Debbie didn't you see, the people who live in Discovery Bay don't want you to surf there either. Oh wait the person who said that doesn't live there.
Old     (surfergal)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-06-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
LOL, exactly, Caskimmer! I do live in Discovery Bay....
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
I know, doesn't Jerry live there too?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-07-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
And Chase
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-07-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
I would LOVE for a boat of wakeboarders to pull over the Black & Blue crew to tell us that the water is too smooth and we need to wait. LOVE for that to happen.

Old     (aaudii5150)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-07-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
I just finally got up on a surf board this weekend and don't intend to stop any time soon. We're lucky enough to surf on the Columibia and have tons places to surf.
We wakeboard most of the time and have always made room for each other out here!
Everyone just calm down and have some fun, isn't that why we're all out there in the first place.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-22-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
anyone find it ironic that the person who started that thread wakeboards with 4920lbs of ballast?

quote:

you know My Set up!

1,100 LBS (triangle bow sac as full as possible)
750lbs Lengthwise in the Middle
750lbs Internal in the floor
650lbs on the Back seat
2 x 85lb Small square sacs to balance the boat on the seats or floor
2 x 750lbs in the Trunk on either side of the engine.
-----------------
4920lbs Grand total, not include people and Gear.

I know some of you run with a heavy wake but that's more than twice what the average wakesurf boat is loaded with
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/718780.html?1248306063}
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-22-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
Way more than I run
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-22-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
Woah! Thats almost twice the weight we run! I think you would flood a surf boat with 5k!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-23-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
That's insane. Isn't that even more than djjames?
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-23-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Ya, I think he's running around 3500 right now