Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-12-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
I don't hear too much about these?
I'm debating on weather or not to keep my wetsounds threesome setup or go with a pair of NVS tyrants. Does anyone have experience with the tyrants. I have to figure with an extra 10 inch mid bass driver I should be able to "mellow" out the horn. Anyone know anything about the new NVS quick release, is it any good?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-12-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
Sam,

Tried sending you an e mail but it bounced back. Send me an e mail at twhite@wetsounds.com

I will help you get your 3-Some dialed in.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-12-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
I can't check it during the day. I'm running a JL 300/2 to a pair of the 80's. A 300/2 bridged to the 485. HP crossover is set around 140 hrtz. Rolls off @ a 24db slope. I listen to rock and hip hop/rap. What amps is wetsounds recommending for the threesome?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-12-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Sam,

You have nice amps. Should be perfect with those. High Pass is a little high. I recommend setting the high pass on about 80HZ. At 24 db and 140, you are rolling off pretty sharp and losing a lot of mid bass info. Hence, you are getting a lot out of the horn but not as much from the mid bass. Try playing with it and setting it on the 12 db and 80 HZ. Re adjust your gains etc…And see what that does for you. You should be set from there. If it is something you want to play around with more. You can always add an EQ/line driver. This will give you more voltage into the amp as well as give you the ability to fine tune everything to your tastes. E Mail me when you get some time and I can help you out with more.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-12-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
If you decide to go with the Tyrants I'll take the 3-Some's off your hands.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-13-2007, 2:42 AM Reply   
Sam,
Take Tim's advice and see if you like the improvement...I'm sure it will be better.
However, if you're still not happy let me know and we'll see about getting you an audition on a pair of Tyrants. Some have said that the '07 Tyrants are the fullest sounding Pro Audio Tower speaker on the market. Ref. Cliff of Seattle.
These were also the speakers used that recently set a world record for SPL per IASCAi. May 6, 2007 Lake Tuloch Cali.
Duane
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-13-2007, 5:51 AM Reply   
were there changes made in the tyrants from 06-07?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
I looked at the Wetsounds, HSE Trident's, and the NVS extensively prior to my purchase.

The setups I listened to...

Two pro 485's - too bright

Two NVS 10-10's - to bright

Wetsounds Threesome - less bright, but still too much.

HSE Trident - the fullest sounding of the horn based systems. I didn't like the mounting, and the price seemed a little high compared to others.

Two NVS Addictions - didn't sound bright, but didn't sound full enough either.

Two Pro Eighty's - same as the Addictions, maybe a little less.

Four Wetsounds Pro Eighty's - Sounded great. Full, loud, and no brightness. The down side for me was the amount of space they take up on a smaller tower. Maybe you could try this setup prior to swapping out of Wetsounds completely.

I was on the fence trying to figure out what direction I was going to go when I talked to Duane. He asked me to demo the Tyrants and see what I thought. After trying them out, I have to say they were what I was looking for in a pro audio setup. Their very loud, very full, priced right, and relatively compact on a tower compared to other setups that produce the same sound.

Upload

One thing some people don't understand is the fact that no matter what you do with the pro audio systems, they are never going to sound good in the boat. They are designed for the rider. If great sound in the boat is what you want, you should look at the car audio tower setups.

Hope this helps.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-13-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
clif, do you have the new quick release that is mentioned ont eh the NVS website?

I'm going to have to wait till the weekend to try out Tim's suggestions.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-13-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
Cliff- Interesting that the 4 Pro80s sounded best to you. I have 1 set and love them but have heard from other that 4 Pro80s usually increases their brightness substantially. I've heard from others that going with the 3some is the key to mellow the horns on the 80's. I know SQ is subjective, you're just the 1st person I've heard that liked the 2 set Pro80s more then the 3some.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
Sam,

I don't believe my clamps are the quick release your speaking of.

KG,

That's just my impression from what I've listened to. I didn't go deep regarding amp brands, gain settings, or eq's. I wouldn't be the guy to get into the amp/settings quagmire, I'm not the expert on this subject. All I can say is Coop's tower setup was the best sounding of all the pro audio setups I listened to at the Spring Ride, and I'm very impressed with the Tyrants that I purchased.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-13-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
What does "coop" have?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Sam,

Coop has a Sanger, see pics from this post.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/457726.html?1181189499
Old    mendo247            06-13-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
coops got 4 pro 80's, i also really liked the way they filled out my tower.. i got a shot of them in my profile pic.. i debated all this for months and months and honestly i love what i have but im sure i would have loved any of the other setups..
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-13-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
Looks like coop has the (4) pro 80 setup. Curious, does he run them through an eq?
Old    mendo247            06-13-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
yes i do have an eq...

please dont look at that thread cliff posted

what kind of boat do you have?
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-13-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
I'm wanting the quick release brackets for my 1010's too, if you happen to get any info on them Sam let me know.

Otherwise we might just make some on the CNC.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-13-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
Sinko, I saw mention on the NVS website of "quick release brackets coming Feb 2007" Maybe Duane can answer?

Richard, I have an 03 Supra SSV. I also run my threesome through an eq.

I just remember a buddy having a set of 1010's abotu 2-3 years ago and him not using an eq at all, and them sounding very full.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
My 1010's sound awesome without an EQ. However, a very important reason to get an EQ is to have easy control over the fade from the tower speakers to the speakers in the boat. I run my 1010's without an EQ and it is a PITA to go into my headunit to adjust the fade between where I want it for when someone is riding to where I want it when someone is not. The placement of the headunit on a VLX also contributes to this problem. I plan to add an EQ shortly. Unless you want to be the a$$ blasting everyone else on the lake with your towers when no one is riding, the EQ mounted under the dash with a fader knob is the way to go.

NVS's quick release has only been out for a short period of time. I spoke with Duane about it. He said they work great. He will probably see this and respond. If not, you should call him. He is very helpful.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-14-2007, 12:50 AM Reply   
NVS quick release:
Sorry but this has been a challenge. We spent a good deal of time trying to design something that would meet all the objectives.
-Ease of use (i.e. "No tools")
-Safe was very important, and
-compact (minimal impact on Hang Height.
After working the bugs out I think we underestimated the demand and have had to ask people be sure to let us know you want them and we will be sure to make enough.
If you're serious about them just contact me thru the website. http://www.NVS1.net
Duane
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-14-2007, 1:12 AM Reply   
OK, I would like to make a comment on the sound thing.
I think everyone has heard some speakers that just plain sounded like a$$. As much money as was spent on systems that showed up at the Spring Ride (5/5/07 Lake Tulloch) I heard numerous systems that just sounded awefull.
I'm not going to point out which speakers were on those boats because I know they could sound better if just tuned better.
My point here really is that just hearing one system with a given set of speakers does not necessarily indicate the potential of those speakers. It's the same with any subject that someone has an opinion on. Much the same as "what's the best boat" that always stirs up some poop. (I actually like reading those, I think it's fun).
Read (or listen) to as many as you can and hopfully you'll determine what YOU like....then buy it.
Duane
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-14-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Are the quick release clamps an option on the NVS spekaers or standard if you want them? Do you have any pictures of what they look like.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-14-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Sam,
They are an option and are retrofitable to all NVS speakers new or old.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-14-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
Duane, what is the additional cost of the quick release option?