Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       07-26-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
anyone else heard of this !having a problem with my speedo gauge, is all eratic and needle bouncing all over the place, talk to local dealer about a warranty replacement( mechanic has rewired and found no issues, so he recommended a new paddlewheel and speedo gauge) and dealer, not faria guages, says they wont send in a request for parts on warranty due to fact i trailer boat(5 miles to lake)without covering paddlewheel, so its probably worn out and my fault!!!should you, and how can you, cover this part? is there a special cover ive never heard of??
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-27-2006, 1:22 AM Reply   
I dont but have heard of others putting tape on the wheel. I have towed 3/4 of the year every weekend for the past 4-5 years and have not had any problems, 800 hours on the boat. Maybe the ss pin the wheel rides on has a slight bend in it and when the speed/water pressure exceeds X the wheeel tries to spin??
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2006, 5:28 AM Reply   
Yeah the pp manual says to tape wheel. We did it a couple of times, but would always forget to take the tape off and would have to dive under the boat to remove tape so decided screw that. If a and when the wheel wears out we'll replace it then. 400 hours on the boat and no issues, all trailered to hours.
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-27-2006, 5:34 AM Reply   
get a new dealer or call the factory
Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       07-27-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
on the phone to reps and dealers this am for sure as not happy about their help at all, thanks
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-27-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
The paddle wheel is manufactured by airmar. They suggest if trailing for long distances to tape the wheel but as far as I'm aware 5 miles isn't a long distance so if its less than a year old i'd demand that it be replaced.
Old    1wakedad            07-27-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
We trailer our LSV about an hour each way. The dealer recomended pulling the paddlewheel up & out of it's mounting bracket. ours is easy. & located right near one of our plugs) a few turns on the retaining collar & pull it up. Push back down in to seat it (arrow pointing front) & tighten the collar back on. Did have an issue where I didn't get it seated all the way & the speedo was erratic (AND we were getting a bunch of water in the boat!)
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       07-27-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
I ordered just the paddle wheel setup, and it came with a plug that fits into the mount. Exact same as the paddle wheel insert without the wheel on it.

Now that I replaced the shaft access board and didnt cut a hole for that dumb plastic access it doesnt do me much good.
Old    ilovetrains            07-27-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
The paddle wheel is amechincal assembly, not electric. According to my instruction manual, it is water lubricated. That is why they do not want it spinning while trailering. Also according to the manual, it will wear out approximatley every year. Most people get a lot more than year out of them.

I recently crushed mine on the lift and had to replace, was 21.95 for the wheel, pin and o-rings.

If that is the problem, something wrong with the wheel itself, then it is an easy fix.

If it something else your dealer is trying to give you the screw job. I don't care how long you pull it, there is no way that can affect the guage itself.