Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    mccoricksm            03-26-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
I'm planning on purchasing a new trailer for a 20ft bayliner trophy W/A. The boat is approximately 3000lbs dry. Unless somebody convinces me other wise i'm planning on purchasing a tandem axle trailer. Now i'm down to the decisions on bunk or roller and aluminum or galvanized. Does anybody have a preference regarding the 2 styles and some pros and cons of each?

Thanks
Mac
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-26-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
if you live by mountains and plan on towing in them often I would think about getting a electric over hydraulic brake system so you don't burn the brakes out all the time with the typical surge brake controler. Deff get the tandem trailer and for a bayliner I would guess the rollers would be the most effective we had them on our 23 ft i/O and never had any problems.

just my 2 cents`
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-27-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
a couple more cents for ya,
tandem always!!!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-27-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
Single axles are for small bass boats. Anything larger needs a tandem axle. Think safety.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-27-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
I dont like rollers as they put stress on hull over a smaller area than bunks. Also if you ever break your straps...boat is gone. Also the bushings on the rollers is just another maintenance item. I have no experience in salt water though.
Old    walt            03-27-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
From what I hear Roller bunks will leave dimples in your hull over time. I seen a guy with roller bunks drop his boat right in the middle of the ramp once.
Old    powaman            03-27-2005, 6:45 PM Reply   
Yup unless you have a huge boat that's very heavy and you need rollers, bunks are definetly more even support and more highly recommended
Old    powaman            03-27-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
And I thinkt he galvanished look ghetto if unpainted. I'd go with aluminum.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-27-2005, 6:56 PM Reply   
Galvanized isn’t very pretty, but on the bright side it won’t get any more ugly.
Old    mccoricksm            03-27-2005, 7:29 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. From your comments and some other research I've came up with the following just need a sanity check from folks with more experience than myself.

Boat dry weight 3000lbs plus 80 gallons of gas comes to roughly 3600lbs add in coolers and other gear and i'm approaching close to 4000lbs.

So I should get a bunk trailer with tandem axles with aluminum frame if i'm worried about aesthetics with a load capacity of 4000lbs or more and brakes. does that sound correct?

Thanks again
Mac
Old    powaman            04-01-2005, 7:33 AM Reply   
Sounds about right. Ya galvanised looks like crap and kind of ghetto looking, get the aluminum.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-01-2005, 7:49 AM Reply   
Are all ya all sure that there supposed aluminum trailer ain't a steel trailer with a powdercoat on it?? Y'all??
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-01-2005, 7:57 AM Reply   
Sean, Depending on where you live a bayliner Trophy may see some time in the saltwater- If so, you better go Galvanized. In the Northwest, you can't find a boat like that without a galvanized trailer.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-01-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
I don't know if other companies do this, but Extreme Trailers galvanizes and then paints over it and you can't even tell it's been galvanized. I'm sure it will cost you, but it seems like the ultimate solution.