Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-07-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
Has anyone heard what's happening in Tennessee?
Old     (culp)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-07-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
i was there for it, but i left today before womens open finals so i couldn't tell you any winners. But i saw the semi's and everything yesterday
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2008, 6:46 PM Reply   
Hey Greg,
Mens open Drew, Dominique from Montreal, Tommy chechzin (sp), James Walker, 12 year old kid from Florida. Chase went out in the first round. Sean Cummings, Ryan Fair went out in semi's
Old     (culp)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-07-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
Drew and Dominique both looked dialed today to me.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
Need some video! Congrats to the top 5 thats awesome. 12 year old kid from Florida, wow!
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-07-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
how did chase go down in round 1?
Old    surfdad            09-08-2008, 4:32 AM Reply   
Chase had a rough first round, he fell on his first aerial. It just wasn't reflective of his capability. I got a chance to chat with him as we shared some judging duties and he was saying that contests at this level really get in your head. He is such an incredible athelete - nothing but stoke from him the whole time.

In the Men's finals - sheesh what riding. Drew threw this widowmaker. It's an aerial 3 (or maybe it's 180 in the air) right into a surface three - no hesitation, just a smooth transition, incredible to watch. There is a point where the back half of the board is still in the air and he's stuffing his right hand in the water in preparation for the surface three. Truly sick to watch...amongst his usual array of shuv's, front shuv, 3 shuv's.

The 12 year old phenom from Florida had the most stellar first round. 3 shuv's, big spins, some decent air. He's riding a 4 skim and I think he's riding it finless. I think that the pressure of the finals sunk in. He was in first place after the preliminary round. That's a ton of pressure for a 12 year old.

Dominque does everything frontside regular and backside switch, significant variety. He's amazing to watch.

James and Tommy both had great runs, if you can imagine, only 3/4 of a point separated these two in the finals! :-) Very close tight contest there, it was great to watch. Tommy had just a bit more though and edged James.

HUGE Purse! James is taking home $1,000. I think the payout was 1 - $5,000, 2 - $2,500, 3 - $1,500, 4 - $1,000 and 5 - $500.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-08-2008, 6:47 AM Reply   
Congrats to all the riders! Sounds like it was an incredible year to be at Worlds. Can't wait to see some more shots
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-08-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Where are the vids of this incredible riding?
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if Fuel or any other networks covered this? would be great to see some video of it..
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-08-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Congrats to all!! Sorry to hear about Chase though. We all know what he is capable of, it's just a shame when things go bad in an event like this.
How did the Old Guys, I mean the Masters do?
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-08-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
The whole event was Great. The riding this is year has definitly goten better. Keenean (12y.o) Rode good in everyone. He consistantly landed 3 shuv's and Backside bigspins in every heat.
I personally played it safe through each round untill the finals where I had one of the best runs of my life.
Pass one was the same as semi's
F.S air Mute Grab
B.S Shuv
Frontboard slide- shuv out
Shuv indy
Frontside Shuv
360 Shuv
Alley oop 1 footed 180
Backside Bigpin
Alley opp 360 Air.

Thne it was on to pass 2 where I had shown in previous rounds signs of the new "widow maker" "named after a seriously cool dance By Jeff Emrkelson of M&M Watersports"
This was pass 2

Frontside air One footer
Frontiside 180 air
Shuv indy
360 with the board backwards
180 Shuv
Alley oop 180 air nose grab
WIDOW MAKER (this is a alley opp 360 air into a regular surface backside 3)
Then a Indy grab Backside Bigspin
360 shuv mute grab
and finished it off with a spinning wake transfer to accidentally jumping off my board in excitement just passed the last bouy. (bad move because you didn't really want your head underwater in this river.

It was a great event and KAYCE BREWER and the girls from CENTURION BOATS did an amazing job with this event. BEST ONE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Message edited by ollies_drew on September 08, 2008)
Old     (greers_ferry_boats)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-08-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
We need video! That run sounds insane!
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
Drew's run is on youtube at http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNN-vpGms4
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-08-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up RG I have been dying to see it, and didn't know anyone who was filming.
Thanks
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
Drew, great run. I think I have all of your runs on tape but you definitely saved the best for last.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
hands down the sickest most dialed wakeskim run i have ever seen!!congratulations drew,that run was insane..it looked to me like you owned all your triks and they were on lockdown..well done champ
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-08-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
I'm blown away. Congrats on the win and a phenomenal run Drew. You definitely deserved it with that.
Old     (ride2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
that was cool to see, drew was ripping. the thing i dont understand about the contest is it a wake surfing event but it looks like the sport should be called wakeskimming they dont look like they are surfing or surfing is behind the times i dont see people doing skim tricks in the surf except skimboarders. just wondering it would have been nice if chase would have made the final to watch somebody ride a surfboard.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-08-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
Actually James Walker did ride a surfboard in the finals, unfortunately he was the only surfstyle rider to advance out of the first round.
Old     (ride2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
i didnt know james did i just saw the photo of everyone on the podium and they all looked like skimboards except his looks like a skim board with fins is that a surfboard
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-08-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
Yes, He rides a Walker Project Bullet 4'5" four fins 2 are 4 1/2" long
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
The girls ripped it up also.
1st Bri Chimel (skim)
2nd Rebecca Ort (surf)
3rd Jacqueline Croce (skim)
4th Jessica Oswald (surf)
5th Argentina skimmer

Hope I got that right. Can't remember name of #5.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
Congrats to Kasey for putting on a great event. The venue was top notch for viewing the riders. It was a lot of fun talking to all of the foreign riders. Nashville is a fantastic city. Great night life. Hope the WWSC returns to Nashville next year. I bet it was the first time in WWSC history that a run was delayed due to a riverboat turning in the river.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-08-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
Ya, Drew did that Widow Maker right in front of where I was standing. That was amazing. If I had been warned this trick was coming I don’t think I would have been ready to watch it; I was dumb founded. Nice job.

It was cool to be at Worlds for the first time. I’m going to have to step up my game so I can compete with Judy.
Old     (ride2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
why dont they have two different catagories one for the skimmers and one for surf. it is like having a skim contest with half surfboards and half skim boards or a surf contest with skimboarders and surfers it doesnt make sense. i am just curious about the sport and these contests
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-08-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
Jack - That's not a light discussion.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
Jack, this horse has been beaten many times in many different threads. The horse is dead. The WWSC was a great event and if somebody chose to not attend or participate, it was their loss.
Old     (ride2)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
i guess this is way deeper than i realized i think it is great that the sport is moving forward i was just wondering and wish i could have watched the wwsc
Old     (harryder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2008, 10:54 PM Reply   
The number five is Gabriela Diaz (Argentina)

The girls ripped it up also.
1st Bri Chimel (skim)
2nd Rebecca Ort (surf)
3rd Jacqueline Croce (skim)
4th Jessica Oswald (surf)
5th Argentina skimmer
Old    surfdad            09-09-2008, 4:07 AM Reply   
Gabby was fun to watch, she would yell things in Spanish at the wake. :-) At the end of her run as the boat was turning and she went in the water to take her second pass a thunderous roar erupted from the football stadium across the river. Without missing a beat she starts accepting the applause. "Thank you, thank you" and looks up at the boat proclaiming that her fans adore her. :-)

Ed,

"I’m going to have to step up my game so I can compete with Judy."

Me too! You may have heard Todd and Ken mention it - ummm I'm estimating 10 million times - that Judy beat me in the Master's preliminaries! Todd was having so much fun busting my chops, he is chatting with a father and his young daughter...she's maybe 5 or 6. Todd motions me over: "Jeff come here, I have a future wakesurfer here and she needs to ask you a question." He had goaded her into saying, with her sweet innocent little voice: "is it true that your wife smoked you in the masters?" :-)

I swear I will never live that down.

Great event. Well run, that is a perfect venue - sheltered from the wind and ample seating and vendor space - convenient to hotels and restaurants. As Roy mentioned there was the riverboat disruption, but even that was scheduled! I think all of the competitors basically had glass both days. Huge props to all involved, organizers and competitors alike.
Old     (bentone)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-09-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
looks like a skim boarding contest
Old    surfdad            09-09-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
Bentone, with all due respect, that just sounds rude. Let's allow those that had a great time and/or won, to share the jubulation and bask in their victories.

Personally, I would love to hear more great stories from the event that don't involve me losing to Judy!!!! :-)

Ante'ing up...did anybody else stay at the Hilton? Remember Sunday night when the fire alarm went off and the voice over announced that they had the "situation under control?" Well...I don't, because I slept through it! :-) It takes considerable skill to sleep through an ear-piercing siren! James has been razzing me ever since. He came in to where I was sleeping to let me know that they had the "situtaion under control" and then thought - wait a minute, he's snoring!

C'mon share the stoke! :-)
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-09-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
I have so many great memories...but really it does stand out when James hiked his mom up on his shoulders and the crowd yelled, "JUDY JUDY JUDY JUDY!!!"

I'm just sayin' :-)

A great event that Centurion and all put on. Kayce and team made this an OUTSTANDING Venue. The representation from so many great states AND countries (a special shout out to CANADA!) truly made this just a great time. Classy competitors and great spectators; Drew's final run was unbelievable to watch; and well just everything was cool.

Bentone, save the "skim/surf" for another thread and/or debate...let people enjoy the experience from a GREAT WWSC!!! Mahalo.
Old    surfdad            09-09-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
Like I was saying I'd LOVE to hear stories that DON'T involve me losing to Judy.
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-09-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
Did anything else happen that weekend???
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-09-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
The coolest part of the whole event was meeting people from all over the country and the world. I already miss my homey Clemenz from Lichtenstein. The crew from Quebec was so animated, rooting on eachother in french. Chatting with Rebecca Ort from Switzerland about her boat and crew. Toasting life with Gabriel Ruiz and family. Plus hanging with families we've met at other events and the top riders like Chase, James, Tommy, and Jaq. I love this sport!!!