Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-11-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
I know this is a topic that is beaten to death, but can anyone give me advice to conquer the backroll? Rope length is 80 feet, 23.5 mph behind various boats. Here is a link to some pics:

http://scott.tekna.ws/images/wakeboarding/monroe1/target113.html

Thanks for the help.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-12-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
it looks like you're going pretty big and throwing the trick too fast/hard, so you are done with the rotation and ready to land but you're still in the air, so when you hit you cant absorb it.

First I would try taking a shorter cut and throwing it like normal. If that doesnt work try to slow your rotation down by not throwing it as hard off the wake.

I hope this helps, good luck
Old     (chainboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
isnt that a front roll?
Old     (timsown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-12-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
In the second pic your rotation is well under way, yet your not looking up. Look to the sky as soon an you throw the trick and you will spot your landings much earlier. Anytime I have trouble with my landings it's because I'm not seeing the water soon enough. As long as I can see the water, I can adjust for the landing even if it's not a perfect rotation or handle placement.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Andrea and Tim. You bring up very interesting points. Just one question for ya Andrea, any advice on slowing the rotation down. I let the handle out from my body once, inadvertantly, got extended raleyesque and cased the wake with my ribs. Crack! When I go for the roll I very rarely see anything, let alone the landing. It's all a blur. I think lookin' at the skh may help. We'll see what happens.
Old     (rochodl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-14-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hey Bud,

You are getting tons of pop and your approach looks sweet. 3 things I would suggest, 1. Keep the handle lower and more towards your hip. This will help you in all aspects of riding. 2. Always look over your lead shoulder (towards the sky) This will enable you to spot your landing early. 3. Let go with your back hand in the middle of your rotation This will slow you down a bit.

Good luck bro, you will be landing this trick in no time.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-14-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
MD~
What length rope are you riding, maybe take it out 5 feet?
Another question, are you railing into the wake on this trick or taking a slow progressive cut?
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-14-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
woops, just reread your first post.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-14-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
Try making your stance wider if you cant slow the rotation
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-14-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
I am taking a progressive cut to the wake. I am not sure I want to ride at 85 ft, my ts wake jumps aren't all that consistent. Have been thinking of widening stance. Thanks
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
AH HA!! ok turn it into a mexican roll (you so close to it) cut out and when your comming into it dont take a progressive edge. come in like your going for as much air as you can. when you hit it push down on the board then throw yourself.. it slows it down and you understand the landing. then go back and do a progressive edge.. that might help out with timing in the air...
Old    alanp            09-16-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
damon nailed it. the rope is too high. keep it lower near your waist
Old     (wakegrl2109)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-02-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
keep the rope at your hips, as you hit the wake look over your back shoulder, take your time and dont rush
Also it looks like your standing up to much. try going inbetween standing up and sitting down position

(Message edited by wakegrl2109 on October 02, 2006)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-11-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
You're obviously fighting the roll wanting to go to revert. Although not the best technique you could try releasing your trailing hand about halfway through the roll.
Old     (dekay)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-23-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
Ok, your kind of doing a Roll to Revert to Revert. If that makes any sense. Try doing a straight backroll by putting your right ear to your right shoulder. Second, when you land you are way to much over your heels. Last, try not taking such a big edge because it's putting you in the flats which will make the trick harder to land even if you have perfect form.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-08-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
Nice pics, simply looks like you're over rotating it. You're extremely close, I would nail this before trying anything else. The suggestion to let go with your back hand and push your left out to the flats was a good one. That will create some slack and slow your rotation. You'll have to work on your timing with that. I would suggest at about 3/4 of your rotation.

After you get that move to the roll to revert. When you're upside down, just let go with your left hand and bring the rope in front of your right hip with your arm pretty straight. Amazingly easy. Good luck