Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Huth)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
Headed to St. Lucia next week and wanted to know if anyone has Wakeboarded with Sandals Grand? Is it worth packing my board? I saw a topic about this a while back but it was mostly about Jamaica. Is it a ski boat with no pylon? Is the ocean as choppy as I think it's going to be? Is their equipment trashy or not so bad? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Greg
Old     (Huth)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
PS. I kinda find it sad that I'm going to St. Lucia and all I can think about is how the wakeboarding will be? ;-)
Old    Chaserwaser            04-28-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
Hahaha how much is the cost to fly your board anyways these days?
Old     (Huth)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
Well on Southwest it's always been free. But this will be Delta so I'm sure I'll have to pay for it. But if I used it every morning/evening it would be worth it.... ???
Old    Chaserwaser            04-28-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
Your not going for your honeymoon or anything right because going wakeboarding everyday might be a bad decision haha but ya know it depends can you call and ask the resort what kind of boat they use because to me thats the difference of bringing it or not if its some type of wakeboarding boat with a tower go for it! if not I would just relax and enjoy the vacation.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-28-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Actually read this post http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777664 it has some information about the resort it seems from people have been there already if you scroll about half way down it says the resort has a Prostar but was supposed to upgrade to Mastercrafts. Might give you a little more information you are looking for!
Old     (Huth)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
Yes it is a honeymoon and I'm probly going to get the stink eye just for packing the board but hey, she can get just as tan riding in the bow as she can laying on the beach. ;-)
Old    Chaserwaser            04-28-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
Hahaha ohh greg Idk about this choice of yours hahahha but I guess it depends how the girl reacts about it if she likes it go for it hahah just dont want you hurting when it comes to fancy time either cause shes mad or your sore hahaha
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-28-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Sandals Jamaica had a prostar 190 with a tower. was sweet. DOnt know about st lucia. i bet they have somehtign. prob not worth taking the board though.
Old     (Huth)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Good to know. Maybe just my bindings so they fit my feet?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-28-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
"has a Prostar but was supposed to upgrade to Mastercrafts"

You realize Prostars are MCs right?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-28-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Definitely dont take your board. The water is usually fairly choppy and your rides are pretty short. Sometimes they have a pole, some have a tower. They had a CWB Sol in Jamaica. I imagine your equipment will be on the same level. Doubtful you'll get out twice a day - the watersports team and more particularly the boats usually just run a couple hours shifts sometimes during the day.

Just ride theirs. Not worth the $120/roundtrip that you'll have to pay with Delta.
Old     (Huth)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
Good to know. Thanks for all the info.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-28-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
X2 Don't waste the money taking your board. Grand is the only one that has a boat and every time I went over the water was pretty bad. Sit back and enjoy the rum punch. If you get a chance do the Jungle tour and see if you can get Greg and Doctor love we have got them the two time's we have been there, they are a blast. Either way the food is great and it is hard to beat the weather.
Old     (mississippiwake)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-28-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
I went to Sandals Negril in December and I brought my board. IF you wake up early and go, it is worth it. The water started getting rough once all the boats and whatnot got out there. I am actually going on my honeymoon to The Grand in St. Lucia in July so let me know how it goes! The one in Negril had the prostar and it was a good time. Since I went in December, I hadn't boarded for a few months so I was eager to bring the board. The bindings they had there were XXL and the board was heavy so I was glad I brought mine. Hope this helps!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-28-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
I wakeboarded at the Sandals Grande in St. Lucia in 2004. The island is awesome and you will have a great time, but don't waste your time taking your board. They had a Prostar 190 with a tower but they just give you a quick run down the bay and back. It was definitley cool to be on a wakeboard on the ocean, but it's not like you're going to get a 15 minute set behind a sacked out wake boat.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-28-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Nathan

When are you going in July? I'll be on my honeymoon at the Grand July 18 through the 23.
Old     (Huth)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
Very good info guys glad I asked! I'll take photos and post more info when I get back. I'm sure my wife would rather we spend the time together siping cocktails!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-28-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
I'm gonna be in St Lucia June 14-24 for my honeymoon as well. Staying at the Sandals Regency. Kinda random how multiple people from WW will be at that island for their honeymoon this summer. Greg, would you mind saving my email norcalryda@gmail.com and sending me a PM once you get back to give me a few heads up on whats worth doing there and whats not worth doing? I've never talked to someone who's been to the island so we were just gonna wing it when we get there. Have fun and hopefully you will get some riding in!

Last edited by norcalbordr; 04-28-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: I type too fast
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-28-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
Greg - You can still take a run on their board. I bet you will enjoy it...and alsoo be glad that you didn't hassle with bringing your own board.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-28-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
I'll be there next week also Greg so lets try and get together and ride

Also I'm bringing my camera so I can get some good shots!!
Old     (felony)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-29-2010, 2:22 AM Reply   
These resorts cost 5 grand a week?
Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-29-2010, 2:45 AM Reply   
+1 with what Jeff & Eric said. My wife and i were there in February on our honeymoon and it was rough waters, they run the Prostar 190 maybe twice a day and it's a short down & back run. The week we were there the Prostar with the tower was broke so they had another Prostar with just the pylon. They have a CWB SOL with some XXL bindings and a cheap rope with a smaller than usual handle. No passengers in the boat so your wife will need to stand on the dock to get pictures of you.
Defiantly give it a try! I mean who gets to wakeboard on the Caribbean everyday right .
For the most part sit back enjoy the free drinks and fabulous food. Just to for warn you if you have a phobia of speedos this might not be the place for you to go .
I would def. check out the zip line!!! it says it's a 4 hour deal but it's really a 1.5 hour drive there, 1 hour on the zip lines and 1.5 hours back. If you get a good guide for the rides you will learn allot about the island and see some good sites on the drive. Take the hike up to the 2 mountain peaks the view is CRAZY!! Enjoy the honeymoon and congratulations!
Old     (Huth)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-29-2010, 6:15 AM Reply   
I think this is either a testament to how played out the Sandals Honeymoon is... or a greater statement about how large and useful this community has become. (I’ll blindly accept the latter of the two) I’ve been coming here to find pulls in my own backyard for years, but to find so much advice about something I thought was so far away... and to find someone who will be there at the same time as my wife and I... I would expect these things from a website dedicated to Sandals or Honeymoons in general, but Wakeworld??? We are good people! I’ll take lots of photos and report back.

Thanks again!
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-29-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
I went to the Grand for my honeymoon as well and agree with most everyone else.... prostar... crappy equipment... don't stress on it... sneak out there early when its still smooth... throw on that old obrien they use and have some fun! But don't go down their thinking you're gonna shred hard!
Old     (mississippiwake)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-29-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Blair- Were going July 26-August 2nd.
Old     (mississippiwake)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-29-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Old     (rickykamberra)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-30-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
I wakeboarded at that Resort in St. Lucia during my honeymoon. Water was choppy, but it was about 2 o'clock. The rope was tied to a pylon on a Natique.

it was kinda cool, but not prime conditions
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-20-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
Greg,

How was the Grand, I got like 58 days until I'm there and we both are counting down and can't wait.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-20-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
It's been 8 years but that's where I was run over by a boat and broke my arm. (Be careful where you swim!). Awesome property - it was under different hotel system then. I wouldn't waste your time bringing your board.

We did the quad tour through the jungle. THAT was awesome. And, the horse ride on the beach - pretty fun.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-20-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
I rode at Sandals in St. Lucia...

was not great conditions... but I had a blast. wake was small, choppy as it is the ocean after all, and the board setup wasnt ideal.

I'd prob take my own setup next time as we found ourselves laying on the beach ALL day. I'd have a drink, head out for pull, and come back for another drink (over and over) I was one of maybe 3 people at the resort who actually used the boat. It was empty for hours per day...

Last edited by wakeandsnow27; 05-20-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-21-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
I rode that same exact spot like 8 years ago. No tower and no ballast, but the water was smooth. They go in a circle if that tells you anything. Definately not worth bringing a board. I got on a waterski and was tearing it up old skool. Fun but not what you are used to for sure.