Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-27-2006, 6:23 AM Reply   
I want to replace and add a pair of 6.5" speakers in my boat. It came with some rear ones but i will have to cut out holes to mount the other pair in the bow. What is the safest and most effective way to do this as I have never installed speakers in a boat before.

Thanks!!!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-27-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
Shannon,
Try doing a search or just going through some of the archives. You'll find plenty of info if none of the stereo gurus answer you here.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-27-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Roto zip.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-27-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
Put masking tape over the area where you're going to cut, drill a starting hole by running the drill in reverse through the gel coat, then use a roto zip or a dremmel tool with a roto zip style bit.
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-28-2006, 12:08 AM Reply   
first thing you should do is pull the seat out alot of boats are pre cut in the back of the seat all ya need to do is cut through
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       06-28-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
Roto-zip tool (Black and Decker cheaper than Dremel, or rent one). Get extra bits as I went thru 3 of them adding 2 speakers under the windshield and the thick areas are tough (You can always take back the ones you dont open). I highly reccomend practicing on a spare piece of wood first as it takes a few tries to get used to how the roto-zip tools can buck and you dont want to screw up on your gelcoat. Also, like you've heard before, measure at least twice, cut once!
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-28-2006, 7:38 AM Reply   
shannon ,, where did you wanna put the other speakers ,, i have the same boat ,, and you can add speakers under each side of the driver and pass seat ,, also you can add some up front just back of the grab handles . If you have any boat specific questions pm me and i will be glad to help ..
Old    thug_hunter            06-28-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
The fiberglass makes a huge mess and like J Beranamo said, make sure you have extra bits. Have someone hold a shopvac within inches of where you're cutting and it will make cleanup a lot easier. You can try taking it to a stereo shop. It shouldn't cost too much to have them cut the holes. Just another option to look into.