Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-28-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
So, I have a pair of the Bazooka Compression Horn Tubbies on my tower. To go with them, I got the Bazooka clamps.

Per recommendations I read online, I used anti-sieze on the bolts, but I didn't end up using any loctite threadlocker.

Last night I looked up and one of my tower speakers was shaking like a dashboard hula girl. Luckily I carry some tools on the boat and was able to take off the clamp and tighten the clamp to speaker attachment bolt.

But that made me wonder if I was supposed to use loctite. The clamps didn't come with any instructions so I'm not sure what they recommend.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-28-2013, 3:59 PM Reply   
Do you ever use those two products together? One prevents the bolt from gluing itself to the clamp with corrosion and the other glues the bolt to the clamp. I could be wrong but I would see if I could get a lock washer to work before I used any kind of bolt glue. Make sure it's a stainless washer so it doesn't rust.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-28-2013, 5:37 PM Reply   
Anti-sieze and lock washers would be my choice over Loctite.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-28-2013, 7:07 PM Reply   
I think that's a pretty common problem with those speakers. If you're talking about the bolt that goes through the bracket and into the tubbie to secure the clamp then for sure I'd use blue(removable) locktite. I'd use the anti seize on the two smaller Allen's that tighten the clamp around the tower though. I had them shear off from being galled.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-28-2013, 10:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
I think that's a pretty common problem with those speakers. If you're talking about the bolt that goes through the bracket and into the tubbie to secure the clamp then for sure I'd use blue(removable) locktite. I'd use the anti seize on the two smaller Allen's that tighten the clamp around the tower though. I had them shear off from being galled.
Yes, the one that loosened was the the one that goes through the bracket into the tubbie. It has a tapered head, so the idea of a lock washer just wouldn't work. I think I'll bust out the blue loctite for that one.

I'm also going to make sure that I carry the allens for all three of those with me on the boat at all times!
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-29-2013, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Yes, the one that loosened was the the one that goes through the bracket into the tubbie. It has a tapered head, so the idea of a lock washer just wouldn't work. I think I'll bust out the blue loctite for that one.

I'm also going to make sure that I carry the allens for all three of those with me on the boat at all times!
yea i know exactly the bolt you're talking about. it also adjusts the angle of the tubbie. make sure you mark the correct angle you want the tubbie first, then loctight the heck out of it. I don't think the guy suggesting the lock washer understands the placement of that bolt- theres no way to put one in that spot or that would probably be everyone's first choice. Especially in this instance where it won't hinder removing the speakers from the tower if need be, loctite is the way to go.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-29-2013, 2:15 AM Reply   
I had similar issues with a similar clamp. The plastic insert didn't have enough traction so to speak on the tower. We put a piece of bicycle tube on the insert which holds it in place very nicely. Havent had any issues since.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-29-2013, 2:30 AM Reply   
Blue loctite is ok, but red is better. Don't be afraid of the "permenant" label, it's far from. Even red will loosen up over time. But if you have to get it off before it comes off on it's own, a heat gun or hair dryer will loosen it.

I've been a mechanic for 18 years. I use different types of loctite on a regular basis. I've never had a problem getting something apart because of the loctite.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-29-2013, 7:52 AM Reply   
anti-sieze and lock washers
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-29-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
OK I got it now, Loctite is prob the best bet if you can't fit a lock washer in there