Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (elmo)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-07-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
Hi everybody! I just started wakeboarding this summer and at the moment I'm working on my wake to wake to wake. the thing is... I'm still a little intimidated. I'm scared to be as aggressive as boys are, but I want to get excel. How can I be as fearless as the boys are?
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-07-2006, 11:17 PM Reply   
You need a can of testosterone that’s what gives us the death before dishonour mentality to do stupid things to impress others.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-07-2006, 11:38 PM Reply   
Im only fearless with atleast 3 hot chicks in the boat...other then that I wanna suck my thumb and get in the fetal position half the time I try a new trick
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-09-2006, 6:11 AM Reply   
Lets face it girls are just smarter than guys.
Old     (devast8r)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-09-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
Its not stupidity or showing off for me its just this is what i wana do and pain kinda comes with it but i havnt realy goten hurt the key is to just learn to fall i have also been in football and i use to ride bmx when i was young so you kinda learn to fall another thing is that its just water so your falls arnt that bad just when you fall go with it and the biggest key that will help you advance is dont think about what happens if you dont land it and fall just do it and dont and have fun i do the best when i just go out and have fun but i know what you mean cuz i just started riding not long ago and im about to try a tantrum cuz i have healside down my toside is not so great its just wake to wake and im workin on switch but im kinda scared to do the tantrum but i know that with everything that if you arnt scared and dont think about the bad and commit all the way its not as bad as half assing it. so just get out their and have fun and dont worry
Old     (elmo)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-09-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
thanks guys... especially chris! Any opinions from the ladies?
Old     (wakesheazy)      Join Date: Nov 2006 Location: Irvine, California       12-10-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
I look at it like this... What the heck is the worst that can happen?!?! Face plant? Ok, would a face plant literally kill me?? In my opinion, the awesome feeling of landing something that you've been working on WAY outways the possibility of the occasionally inevitable faceplant. The only suggestion I can give to you is maybe try to play one of your favorite songs while you're riding to amp you up... for some reason music plays a key factor for my ride. I call it "motivational music" when I'm feeling a tad bit nervous. Overall it's not about the boys having no fear, it's about how each individual approaches a new trick. Some want it bad enough to try it no matter the CHANCES of the consequences.

Just for reference, this is coming from a girl that broke her femur about 6 weeks ago. I must be truly in love with this sport considering how anxious I am to get back out on the water.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MEDICAL INSURANCE!
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-10-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
They have balls
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-10-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
True about what song is playing....I like to play jump by Vanhalen or pour some sugar on me always gets me amped. Lat summer for some reason the driver played some slow song while I was being pulled all I wanted to do was check out the scenery
Old     (theresa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-11-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
I don't know about ya'll but everytime I let up on a trick...pain. Going hard is much better than half a**.
Try not to think too much... When I over analyze, I end up doing something totally stupid.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-11-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
chris elstad,

go back to school or do a google search for "run-on sentences".
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-15-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
um ... cuz boys are stupid?? (j/k) ok, honestly, i think it's because since they're little boys are encouraged to try stuff and push each other; girls are encouraged to watch and stay safe, so they've never really learned well to just go for it. the first time i seriously tried w2w, one of the guys in my crew stood up in the back of the boat and just yelled "cut, cut, cut" and i was so busy paying attention to him that i forgot to freak out at the size of the wake. got huge air (for me at least) and so i let go of the rope mid-air. too bad too, cuz i ended up landing it on the other side and then just wanted to smack myself because i made this great landing but no longer had the rope! (i'm sure my crew wanted to do the same!).
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-16-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
put a some hot guys on the boat to focus on that way you forget about everything else but seriously it's all in how bad you want it, when I originally wanted to wake board it took me twice as long to get up on the board than it would have if I wasn't so scared of being pulled by the boat, once I got over that and really started trying I learned to get up, but the same could be said with doing any trick just make sure you really want to learn it...and go for it without thinking, when behind the boat now I try to be all about living right in that moment and don't think past around two - ten seconds ahead of time that way you will not picture yourself getting hurt or landing anything your not really ready for...your just enjoying riding and make sure what ever trick you try you really want to try and don't just like the idea of trying, 'cause that could mean your pushing yourself into something that you are not ready for...which would cause you to get hurt
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-16-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
There's a few of us that need to look up run-on sentences.. Anyway the thing for me is that I grew up hanging out with my older brother and always wanted to do the things he did. Even now, sometimes I feel like I'm "Invinvible" and I'm 19. I also feel like I have to try and impress my friends and family. Not really trying to show off so much, but more of wanting their respect of the things I do. Most of my friends my age don't do a lot of the same things I do, so I try to make it look cool when I do it I guess. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a baby sometimes..:-)
Old     (dubaisunshine)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-18-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
Hi Emily, try chewing gum (relaxes your mind) when you ride and then - i know it sounds funny - try to be your own sports commentator (the real crazy ones I mean!) - like when you go w2w you're pushing yourself by commenting on HOW your doing your own trick - this will make you forget about worrying AND push you to actually go big!! and another thing: always try to smile when you ride, you will notice a difference! When you smile, you tell your mind to succeed, when you don't, your mind mostly already prepares to land the faceplant Good luck!!
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-19-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
Go climb some trees...Being a tomboy helps.
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-09-2007, 4:03 AM Reply   
Im sorry here guys i have to disagree!! My girlfriend got through her copy of the Chick Flick the other day and, OH MY GOD is it me or does the womans crash section seem 100 times worse that the guy movies??? As far as im concerned the girls are as fearless as the boys!! My advice would be visual preperation or mental rehersal, when your on the boat or the dock go through things in your head, imagen how they would feel and close your eyes so you can feel you body going through the correct actions!! then when you on the water, dont think and let your subconsious take over!!!
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-14-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
hahaha dave burns funniest thing i've heard in awhile
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-29-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
Kylie beat me to it, I was fearless b/c I was stupid I backed off for a while after a dislocated shoulder though. But I should be back to almost full strength for next season, so the stupidity will get the best of me I'm sure.
Old     (vanekronfle)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
hi emily when i begin i was also scare but imagine you,making a lots of tricks, when i fall i think that that is the worst that can happen.... you dont have to think 2 times when you are going to make a trick just do it!
there are a lots of women that are very aggressive so why you cant do the same? i think that everytime i am riding! and also you have to be relax if you fall you have to go up again with the same happy face!!
Old     (wakeboard_chick_21)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
guyz have lots of fear i already figured that out!! lol