Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-07-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Is it okay to leave the flag up the whole time someone is riding? As opposed to putting the flag up when they fall and lowering the flag when they are up riding. Not sure if it would be against the law as it would seem to be more on the safe side. I know I've seen some people do it before.
Old     (danrocks4)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-07-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
it depends on where your riding. for example i live in missouri, where you must have the flag up only when the rider is down in the water, but i have taken my boat to arkansas where you don't need a flag at all. it differs from state to state so check you water safety manual or whatever its called. and all laws aside i personally think the flag is worthless because no one uses them properly or even sees them, if a another watercraft is going to come too close to your rider a flag is not going to make any difference.
Old     (gelo_az_23_lsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-07-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
I have been stopped for having the flag up constantly at Lake Bartlett in AZ...He asked me "who is watching your skier?" I told him one of the many sitting in my boat now...didn't end up getting a ticket as I was pretty compliant the rest of the time...he pretty much made us show all the life jackets, the throw cushion and make sure the fire extinguisher was good...from then on we always throw the flag up manually....
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-07-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
Okay so here it is. Answered my own question.

From dbw.ca.gov (Dept. of boating and waterways of CA)

"It is mandatory for the operator of a vessel involved in towing a skier to display, or cause to be displayed, a red or orange water-ski flag, to indicate:
A downed skier
A skier in the water preparing to ski
A ski line extended for the vessel
A ski in the water in the vincity of the vessel

The flag must be no less than 12 inches on each side and be in the shape of a square or rectangle. The display of the ski flag does not in itself restrict the use of the water, but when operating in the area, boaters should exercise caution."

So it seems that it would be okay to leave the flag up the entire time instead of putting up and down. Anybody read any different from that?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-07-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
No, it says, you put the flag up when:
Your rider has fallen and is down in the water.
The rider is down in the water getting ready to get pulled up.
Or when the rope, wakeboard or Ski is still in the water but the rider is not.
You do not leave it up when the rider is riding, you bring it down while he is riding.
Old     (resqfish)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-07-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
It's all interpretation.
It does say " A ski line extended from the vessel"
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-07-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
Heck I live in N.C. and no one ever puts up a flag. ever.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-07-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
Haha yea we dont do the flag thingg. Must suck!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-07-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
Actually, I am a true believer in the skier flag.

In NJ, you need to display the flag whenever a tow line is in the water or a skier is in the water.

No flag law in PA or Maryland, and sadly a wakeboarder was run over in Maryland by another boat after he fell. He died :-(

Maybe if all 50 states shared the same law, more boaters would understand what the orange flag means.