Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-28-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
Has anyone compared the footage from the DVX100 to the DVX100a? I have never seen a side-by-side comparison.

I'm thinking about getting the DVX100a or possibly the DVX100b but the price is pretty high. Does anyone have any advice on finding one new or used at a resonable price. I know ebay is always an option but those NY dealers are scary and it's not easy to find one locally.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-28-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
you'll find lots of used dvx100a for sale in great condition at dvxuser.com.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-28-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
I'm on there frequently but haven't been able to find one good enough to pull the trigger on.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-28-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
a bit pricey but here's one w/ 2 hours on it - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=51221

254 hours - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=49956

low (??) hours - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=50531

Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-28-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
3rd one looks promising. Thanks Joe.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-28-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Hi Paul,

I don't think Panasonic made any major changes to the CCD's with the A model. I know they added AF in progressive mode and a few software tweaks that you would have to be a power user to appreciate. Both models should be coming down in price on the used market as the HVX and other HD models become the norm.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-28-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
The HD stuff is definitely interesting but I think it's a little ahead of its time at the moment. I'm hoping blueray will change that once it hits the streets at a decent price. I had a Sony HC1 and it didn't do so well in the boat with the rider 80 feet back.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
check this one out - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=51749
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-30-2006, 11:19 PM Reply   
How can someone get a DVX100a in there hands and never use it? That is just wrong....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2006, 11:20 PM Reply   
that should be illegal!
Old     (travis_m)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-06-2006, 10:05 PM Reply   
So the last guy kept it in the closet for a year?!?!
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-12-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
Got my DVX100a yesterday. Can't wait to get out there and shoot. Hey Rich do you have any advice on settings or filters for the DVX100?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-12-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
I shot Delta Sessions in 30p mode with an 81A warming filter (instead of the normal UV filter). Bryan Barton shot untouchable Sound in 24P. You might want to ask Dave Cervanka what settings he's using. (He's the one who has really racked up the hours behind one!
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-12-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich. I got to get out there with Chris and shoot him a little. I'll be shooting squid a little this weekend and hopefully I can put something together.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-13-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich.. Hour meter is somewhere around 275 hours.. which is pretty scary. No wonder my arms are so big. lol

3 people, 3 different answers. I shoot on F1 (60i). I tried the Progressive modes and it looks great on a flat screen/plasma/hig-def tvs, but for a regular interlaced tv set the flicker was too much for my taste. I know you can turn the detail down to reduce it or even fix it in post, but doesn't that defeat the purpose? Anway.. That's the joy of the DVX.. thousands of options. Just set aside a weekend and go out there and try different things. You'll find what works best for you and that's all that matters.

IF you have access the Barry's DVX Handbook/DVD I highly recommend you read that front to back and always keep is close by for reference. The DVD is a bit dry for action sports, but at least you get the see the settings first hand without having to painstakingly going through each one yourself.

Welcome to the DVX world, your life has just changed for the better!

I would like to add one more thing. As with any camera, good lighting is key! Couple the DVX with optimal lighting and you will blow people away with the color and saturation.

Now lets see some footage.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-13-2006, 11:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice Rich and Kung Fu. I was planning on getting Barry's book very soon. I'll put something together and post it eventually. Does DPC have any courtesy lessons or opportunities for an aspiring videographer? I'd love to get out there and film some more big name riders. I have the boat and camera to make it work.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-14-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
If you plan on cutting in any footage from another camera then it's Probably best to shoot 60i like DC. I shot footage for DS2 in 60i because most of that film was shot by SB on his GL2 and I didn't want the strobing we got on DS1 when my footage and Arun's (from his GL1) was intercut (and rendered in Premiere hahaha). I guesss I forgot the warming filter on some of it because I know Sean was complaining about the white balance of a lot of my footage (oops)

Anyhow mine had about 70 hours when I sold it so Dave is the DVX king around here. I need to get you guys out on my boat this summer with your cameras to get video since I'm into DSLRs for the moment (resisting the urge for one of those new HVXs.) BTW I bought my DVX in November 02 (the month they came out) for $3400 and sold it in Nov. 05 for $2700. Not bad for a 3 year old cam. It just shows what a great camera the DVX was/is.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-14-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Paul - Check out www.DVXUser.com! Hands down the best forum for any of your DVX related questions. Also give yourself a 5 to 10 session learning curve with the camera to get comfortable with the settings, controls, white balance, etc. There is a lot going on with the DVX.. even something as little as bumping the auto IRIS control can have scrambling and scratching your head.. Get it dialed and then we'll go to step II of DVX training camp.. but first you must snatch the pebble from my hand young grass hopper.

Rich - Just give me a shout sometime. I hear you on the HVX.. I was considering using it for The Chick Flick, but good luck even getting one. Last I checked they were filling pre-orders from Nov/Dec 2005... Also the workflow with the current size of the P2 cards isn't there for me yet. With NAB we should see some some good external capture solutions.. However I would pefer to be running 2 x 128 gig P2 cards... And by that time you can only imagine what the cameras will be like.

Umali - before I forget.. Please set your date/time stamp on your DVX for this weekend.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
kung fu, i'm a step ahead of you. i did it last night, boss!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-14-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Hmm . . B&H is showing them as available but it doesn't look like the price has moved down at all since the intro.

I'm with you though on the fact that the 4 gig P2 cards aren't much good for anything. I'd like to see the cam at 5K and the 4gig cards at about $200 or an inexpensive portable capture drive as you say. I'm in no rush however.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-28-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
Should have gone to NAB.. Showroom floor pricing of $5100..