Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            03-03-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
In a related thread we beat up the reputation of Skier's Choice, Inc. In their OLD safety letter they recommended that Wakesurfing not be allowed. The American Wakesurfing Association, along with others asked SC, Inc. to reconsider it's position.

I am HAPPY to say that the shareholders and management of Skier's Choice, Inc. have done just that and revised their safety letter to remove any and references to wakesurfing:

http://www.supraboats.com/safety/safetyletter.html

In my discssions with the folks at Skier's Choice, Inc, they were always respectful and professional towards me, yet also firm in their dedication to the safety and well-being of their customers and the boating public at large. They also made it clear that they wouldn't be bullied.

It is my understanding that management did their own research, and formed their own conclusions. Subsequently revising any reference to wakesurfing being dangerous.

Personally, I believe it takes a great deal of courage to make changes in policy and we should all give our respect and gratitude to Skier's Choice, Inc for their efforts and consideration. Even collectively, we wakesurfers are a pretty small group, Skier's Choice, Inc gave us the respect of listening. For that, we do owe them our regard.

Behind Ed Geary and his tat :-) I want to be the next in line to say: Skier's Choice, Inc. ROCKS!
and Thanks.

Old    4sher            03-03-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
Agreed! Skiers Choice deserves credit for being open to reviewing issues brought to them, performing the necessary due-diligence and, in this case, changing their stance.

I believe our sport is still very young and we still have not crossed over into total acceptance (within the watersports). But, each little win like this puts us closer to that goal!

Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-03-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
Bravo Skiers Choice.

This is exactly why I'm a customer for life.

e
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-03-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Great work Jeff!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-03-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
SC Rocks 2!

Very cool that they took the time to respond to Jeff and the greater wakeboard/wakesurf community. They did so in a thoughtful and measured way, they didn’t rush and react but did their homework, well done!

Jeff thanks also for your professional approach working with Skiers Choice.

Now, let’s get some warmer weather and hit the surf!
Old     (wakesurfermike)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-03-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
Right on A.W.A.! Way to stay on them.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-03-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
Props Jeff and SC,
Small victories and changes in attitude can only help the sport gain in popularity and standing as a safe watersport for the whole family to enjoy. We need to get behind the American Wakesurfing Association. This association gives us a credible voice in the watersport world as well. Government officials will listen more to groups that can back up their assertions with well researched facts. I don't think that SC,INC would have come around if the Moomba/Supra Sucks thread had been their input.
Old     (kamakazeboy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-04-2006, 1:31 AM Reply   
I have so much respect to Jeff, who always have right things to say, and SC for reviewing their policy. We want to keep the great sport.
thank you guys.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-04-2006, 4:19 AM Reply   
We do owe Jeff a huge round of thanks. If he hadn't championed this effort, it never would have come to light.

Thanks to Jeff; Skiers Choice and the wakesurfing public both walk away winners.

Not only has the verbage been changed on the Supra and Moomba bulletin boards, Jeff and his son James have been invited to the 2nd Annual Supra/Moomba Owners Jamboree on Aprill 22, 2006 in Clermont, Fl.

Jeff and James will be giving "Safe Surf" clinics, wakesurfing demonstrations and a couple of lucky Supra and or Moomba owners will go home with a wakesurf board that was raffled off.

I'd say that's a company being open minded!

I wonder if we can get one of the Skiers Choice guys out there wakesurfing...I bet we can! :-)

The Supra/Moomba Jamboree is open to any owner of a Skiers Choice product from any geographic location.

If you are considering purchasing a Skiers Choice product and would like to see the boats, take a ride or get a pull from one, you are welcome to stop by.

The Jamboree is being held in Lake Louisa State Park 7 miles south of Clermont, Fl.

More details of the jamboree will be posted in the very near future.

Thanks Skiers Choice and thanks Jeff!

Old    moh2o            03-04-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
Too sick! It also might have helped me make my boat decision.

Support the companies who support the sports you love!
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
This is awesome news!

Jeff thank you for your dedication to the sport. Without your relentless efforts to educate the boating community changes such as this would not be possible.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-04-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
CAskimmer:

Skiers Choice will also be sponsoring Supra/Moomba reunions in Arizona and in Washington state. You are welcome to attend either.

Keep checking the Supra and Moomba Bulletin Boards for details.

Old    surfdad            03-13-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
Hey Ed, the family and I have all of our reservations made and the folks at Inland Surfer have sent me two boards. One that is a donation for the raffle and the other to be used in the clinic. Props to the folks at Inland Surfer for their generosity. Both Jeff and Mark recommend the Blue for the clinic, so that is the plan.

Look forward to a great day of surfing.
Old    surfdad            03-16-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
How does that look? Still have to select the color to highlight the graphics.

Upload
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-16-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Jeff,
How much is it for you to make me a board?

I am 6'1, 205 lbs and currently ride a landlock.
I have a Moomba XLV with GG ballast, so the wake is nice for surfing, but I still have trouble riding without the rope. I am looking for a board that will help me out more and not make me work so hard to stay in the meat of the wake.
I like the moomba design above. Count me in!!!!!
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-16-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
i just sold my moomba xlv 2004, i ordered a 24ssv i can not wait to surf behind it, i was thinking about replacing the back two bags w/ 800lb bags plus a 750 on the side i'm surfing i think it will throw a big wake, any comments or recommendations
Old    surfdad            03-16-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
Hey E Double U, you'll want to check with Mike Walker directly www.thewalkerproject.com he did this design and board as a promo for me to give to a representative of Skier's Choice, Inc. at the Jamboree, from the American Wakesurf Association. The Logo's all came from Ed Geary who got them from Skier's Choice, Inc...I'm not sure if he he can use them without their permission.

Mike's airbrush guy is KILLER. I just had three custom airbrushes done for James' '06 contest boards...I'll post pictures in a week or so - they are AMAZING. I'm sure he can have something done for you that you'll fall in love with.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-16-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
Denny how did you set up your XLV

I just got it and dont want to go through all of the trial and error of playing with the wake.
As much detail as possible would be helpful.
And thanks in advance
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-18-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
setup for the xlv is pretty simple , do not put any water in the center or port ballast just fill the starboard ballast(drivers side) put your wake plate all the way up and set it on 10-11 mph if you have perfect pass, now i had a 1000 lb bag in the drivers side, if you want to go big replace the drivers side with a 800lb bag and get a 750 and place it as far back on the drives side as possible and you will have a great wake, this is also my plan for my ssv, i like the movable 750 b/c when i wakeboard i can center my weight easier, one of the biggest things i found was to not fill the other ballast
Old    surfdad            03-24-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
I like the way this promo board came out. I think the flames are sick.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-24-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
Love the one with the flames
Old    surfdad            03-24-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
I like that too. I should have been more clear, same board. The flames are on the bottom, the deck is the two tone.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-24-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
Very cool stuff...
Old     (redhedstepchild)      Join Date: May 2003       03-29-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
This is the 3rd season I've had my XLV and through MUCH trial and error found that the wake was better with the center bag full as well. It creates a much longer pocket since more of the boat is displacing water, not just the rear. But, you need additional ballast in the rear to offset the front weight. We set up the stadium seating (just the seat, not the seat back for room-sake) and put a 700 # bag on the floor.
If anyone from SC reads this, I work for a lab that tests air quality and I have performed an ambient air test while surfing behind my XLV. It's not bad, but I would prefer to not post the results in a public forum.
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-02-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
I just bought an FAE system. It will be installed shortly.

At least it is raining and not snowing now.

SD2
Old    surfdad            04-14-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
Ed just shot me a picture of the boards that will be raffled off at the Moomba Jamboree. Thanks to Inland Surfer, Awakesurf and Walker Project

Upload

My challenge will be to get Ed freeriding next weekend. :-)
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-15-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
here is the boat your going to try to make wakesurf worthy

Upload

(Message edited by Ed G on April 15, 2006)
Old    surfdad            04-16-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
Shoot, it'll never work without more stickers! :-)