Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (biggris79)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-26-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
what is one of the best 24ft wakesurfing boat that still have a good wakeboarding wake and that is roomy i been looking at the malibu lsv247, x-45, tige z4, enzo 240/244 , and the mb f23 tomcat.what boat would be the best setup and if you got pics of these boats wake post them and what ballast are you using.what sacs would be best when going to test drive these boats thanks
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-26-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
Gosh you are gonna start a war here! All of the boats above will throw great waves. But all are going to need lots of extra weight to throw an amazing wave. Are you goofy, regular? Do you want both great waves? Do you want a better surf wave then a wakeboard wake or equal both? The new enzo 240/244 has some issues with adding sacs on top of the new quick fill hard tanks which might make it difficult to add custom sacs. The Malibu 247 has been proven to be an amazing surf boat and wakeboard boat. I know most of my pro surfer buddies say its the best. The older 08-2010 enzo 240 with custom sacs and some lead has a gigantic wave as well. The x45 can be tough to get a great goofy wave out of. The thing has tons and tons of room. I know Chase Hazen said he really like the wave when they sacked it out. If wakeboarding is your #1 I would go either 247 or the X45. The Rz4 throws a great wave as well it takes more weight for the wave to be amazing compared to the rz2. I think the F23 tomcat has a ton of potential and someone in the wakesurfing forum has their boat dialed. Go search over there. Which do you like the looks of? Do you have a preference? The 247 feels gigantic when you are in it. I have been on all of these boats and it feels the biggest. Here is a picture of stanley wheelhouses 247 sacked out.
Attached Images

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-26-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
That's an awesome wave.Like Duffy said "CAN OF WORMS".Let the war begin.But all of the above mentioned boats make good waves when weighted properly.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-26-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
What about a Sanger V237? I've heard good things about that as well. Just throwing it out there to add to the pool of boats.
Old     (brentcochran)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-26-2011, 10:25 AM Reply   
I can only speak to the Enzo (22ft I believe) and Tomcat. Probably a lot depends on weighting and such, but In my humble opinion:

Enzo Surf: 9
Enzo Wakeboard: 7.5
Tomcat Surf: 8
Tomcat Wakeboard: 9
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-26-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggris79 View Post
what is one of the best 24ft wakesurfing boat that still have a good wakeboarding wake and that is roomy i been looking at the malibu lsv247, x-45, tige z4, enzo 240/244 , and the mb f23 tomcat.what boat would be the best setup and if you got pics of these boats wake post them and what ballast are you using.what sacs would be best when going to test drive these boats thanks
I think you have to decide if you want a boat that you have to throw a bunch of sacs on the seats or do you want all of your ballast hidden and automated?

Do you surf one side of the boat or both?

My enzo puts out a good surf wave without any sacs on the seats and is all automated. No lead in the boat, no sac tied to the swim grid, and only a lightweight driver and spotter. Check it out.
Attached Images

Old     (biggris79)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-26-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
I'm looking for more wakesurf wake and regular and wakeboard wake that's clean and not washed out and where my sacs can be hidden atleast the ones in the back just one on like one seat if needed and the bow area isn't real important just the back area need room for people and ice chest my old boat a 08 220 nautique wake wad washed out real easy and didn't have a lot of room for people and ice chest
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       08-26-2011, 6:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'm looking for more wakesurf wake and regular and wakeboard wake that's clean and not washed out and where my sacs can be hidden atleast the ones in the back....
Sounds like you could use an Enzo 240+switchblade....
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-26-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'm looking for more wakesurf wake and regular and wakeboard wake that's clean and not washed out and where my sacs can be hidden atleast the ones in the back just one on like one seat if needed and the bow area isn't real important just the back area need room for people and ice chest my old boat a 08 220 nautique wake wad washed out real easy and didn't have a lot of room for people and ice chest
Sounds like all the boats you mentioned would work,but the Malibu would probably have the most interior room by a little bit over the others.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-26-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
Tige has the new Z3 you may want to check it out also.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2011, 8:18 PM Reply   
I have owned both the X45 and a Malibu 247.

The X45 had a tremendous surf wave without all that much ballast. We always surfed regular and I cannot comment on what someone said about struggling to get a good goofy wave on it. I tried it once that way and thought it was equally good, but that was just once. I used a 750 sac in the rear compartment and we were very satisfied. The wakeboard wake was good, but I hated it when we added extra ballast. That is when we needed to go 24.5 MPH or faster and also it was very finicky to side to side weight distribution. There is no good wakeboard wake even unballasted for kids at less than 22 MPH.

The 247 has a proven surf wave and I am still tinkering with it. We have a sac that fills the rear locker and goes up under the seats. The wave is huge with good push. The pics above say enough. I love the wakeboard wake so much better than the 45. It is always good and large. Just fill the tanks, drop the wedge and know it will be awesome enough for any skill level. The 45 was pretty steep, and was hard to hit because it was so vertical. Guys who are good loved it, but my old clumsy bones just get more consistent air and pop on the bu.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
And I think the Z3 might be the real deal. One of the first new hulls to be produced in recent years from Tige, in fact I am not sure any of the big 3 have produced a new hull for several years. Maybe MC's X25 is the newest out there, and they came out in 09?

The X25 gets lots of raving reviews about both surfing and wakeboarding wakes.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-26-2011, 9:13 PM Reply   
Dude if you want a 24' boat you just need to lay down the cheddar for a 247 and email Wheelhouse, case closed.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-26-2011, 11:15 PM Reply   
Our 24Ve has a great wake with tons of power with our new ballast from wakemakers. We have a couple videos showing it off, lots of fun.

Going to have to get my hands on one of those Z3s though....
Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-26-2011, 11:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
And I think the Z3 might be the real deal. One of the first new hulls to be produced in recent years from Tige, in fact I am not sure any of the big 3 have produced a new hull for several years. Maybe MC's X25 is the newest out there, and they came out in 09?

X25 is great but it's a 21.5 foot boat and doesn't put out a long clean wave like those 24 footers.

/X25 owner
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-27-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
Our Malibu dealer has a 247 with the big block v8 and about 97 hrs, I think it could be bought for just a bit below 60k.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-27-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
Maybe MC's X25 is the newest out there, and they came out in 09?

Not that new a hull. This was just there offshore boat that they added a new top cap to (off shore hull had center console top cap).

I also have heard great things about both the surf and wakeboard wake.
Old     (biggris79)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-27-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
Anyone in north Texas that has any of these boat sac out and dialed in that I could ride behind to see the different in the wakes
Old     (biggris79)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-27-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
What yr and color is that 247 that below 60 and what dealer
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
http://boats.iboats.com/2006-malibu-...v/1001892.html
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
Stanley Wheelhouse lives in Texas.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-28-2011, 7:06 AM Reply   
The 247 in montana is a 07, has tower speakers, but no front ballast. It is dark blue and black i believe. Looks new. I was there picking up my boat and noticed it.. It is at Missouri river marine in great falls MT. Phone# 4067611851
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-28-2011, 7:29 AM Reply   
I would love to get one, but the price on a new one was way more than my 23 ft lsv. also we do half of our surfing on the missouri river,and these boats are huge! I think it would be really difficult to manuver in the channels and the shallow spots.
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-28-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
Is there a reason you're not considering a Supra? If I was in your situation, it would be right up their in my options next to the Bu.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-28-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
Hey Duffy if you ever get south, we have a group of 4 or 5 guys that go out 3 days a week, we would love to take you out for a surf.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-28-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
Tige's are built in Texas and there is a dealer in Houston. AUSTIN,FORT WORTH AND SO ON.

Last edited by cwb4me; 08-28-2011 at 8:49 AM.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-28-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
All of these options are great surf boats. Gosh I wish i could afford any of them. You guys are luck I am suppose to go to texas and surf with shred stixx soon. I just don't get a lot of time off from work. Thanks though!!

Last edited by duffymahoney; 08-28-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-29-2011, 7:21 AM Reply   
Stock 23' TWB last week - only half a tank of gas, 3 dudes in the boat and no other weight.
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-30-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
Since you also asked about the wakeboard wake...

MB Team Wide Body 23, 21.5mph, with ballast half full at 65' (I'm not that good).
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-31-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
Now that pretty much every 24 foor boat has been mentioned I'll throw in one more. My 24 foot Supra. The nice thing about the Supra is that you can very easily replace the stock 400 lb rear bags with 1000 lb bags. All we do is fill one of the rear 1000 lb bags all the way and the front 1100 lb about 1/4 of the way and it makes a huge and fantastic surf wake with great push at 11.4 mph (on the perfect pass). No extra ballast to fuss with at all. just a flip of the switches on the dash and your ready.

Last edited by tre; 08-31-2011 at 8:07 AM. Reason: -
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-31-2011, 10:33 AM Reply   
In my opinion, for a 24-foot boat primarily used for wakesurfing, the Tige RZ4 and the Centurion Enzo 240/244 are the best options. They both offer clean wakes, fully automated ballast, and no need for additional sacks cluttering up the interior. I love the X-45, but I've yet to see an X-45 that throws a really clean wave. In addition, the X-45's I have seen that throw large waves are sacked out to the max, with significant interior space eaten up. After considerable research on surf boats, we just pulled the trigger on a Tige RZ2. I love the RZ4, especially the interior space (huge), but we found that we could get a better surf wake out of the RZ2 (and using less ballast). I can't really comment on the Malibu 247, as I have no experience with that boat (although there are a number of WakeWorld members that love the 247).
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-31-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
Stock both the 240 and the rz4 may be surfable but both will not have great waves. He is looking for an amazing wave!
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-31-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Just to clarify, I didn't mean that the boats wouldn't need additional sacks. With the 240/244 and the RZ4, you replace the stock sacks with larger sacks, and it's a plug-and-play solution that doesn't clutter the interior. None of the boats have stock surf waves that are great, but some definitely require so much ballast that your interior starts to look like a Fly-High storage warehouse.

Last edited by MuskokaJ; 08-31-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added text
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-31-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
The Supra 24 foot boats ballast is also plug and play. It takes 2 minutes to remove the stock rear sacks and plug in 1000 lb sacks which create a great wake.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-31-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
I still don't get the whole argument about plug and play ballast. You can have custom bags and pumps plumbed in in any boat and it would look and function like factory. Is it really that big of a deal to have done? What is an extra cople grand when buying a 75+ thousand dollar boat. Just consider it in teh price of the boat.

I really, really like everything about the X45 other then price and small factory ballast but you can add an extra 750# or so in each rear compartment without adding any pumps and spending about $500. If you want to get crazy upgrade to enzo style sacks or add another big sack under the seats. The whole stock ballast argument doesn't hold much weight to me. Now, there are some boats that will take more weight then otehr to get a big wake but there are still ways to hide/automate it on jus tabout any boat.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-31-2011, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskokaJ View Post
In my opinion, for a 24-foot boat primarily used for wakesurfing, the Tige RZ4 and the Centurion Enzo 240/244 are the best options. They both offer clean wakes, fully automated ballast, and no need for additional sacks cluttering up the interior. I love the X-45, but I've yet to see an X-45 that throws a really clean wave. In addition, the X-45's I have seen that throw large waves are sacked out to the max, with significant interior space eaten up. After considerable research on surf boats, we just pulled the trigger on a Tige RZ2. I love the RZ4, especially the interior space (huge), but we found that we could get a better surf wake out of the RZ2 (and using less ballast). I can't really comment on the Malibu 247, as I have no experience with that boat (although there are a number of WakeWorld members that love the 247).
The 24s, like the RZ4 and the 24Ve we have make an amazing wake, but they take a lot of weight. I think you made a good choice. The RZ2 wake is great, and so easy to make. Someone just sent me this link the other day:

Here is his setup.

"Wakesurfing behind my tige rz2. Setup: stock 600 pounds in rear corner, 750 pound fat sac on seat, taps on 2, 200 pounds people weight on surf side."

Didn't even have weight up front.

On another note, we are VERY excited, the RZ2 is being sold, and this is on its way:

Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-31-2011, 8:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskokaJ View Post
None of the boats have stock surf waves that are great, but some definitely require so much ballast that your interior starts to look like a Fly-High storage warehouse.
None? Really?

Define "great"...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-31-2011, 10:24 PM Reply   
We have been on several stock new boats with stock ballast from factory. The notes about the new centurions are what I have seen also, the quick ballast seems to not make it better, but maybe with some time dialing it in. The tige ballast works well, but slower pumps and fill times. On the 20 foot boats, the stock PRO ballast system is great, 600 in corner and up to 800 up front. Fill corner and surf side front and a few peeps, and a great wave for the 20. But the 20 ft tiges, like other 20 foot boats, are narrower and seem to make a steep wave and more abrupt transition. Good for recreational surfing, but not a comp or near comp wake. The RZ2 with Pro ballast, fill corner and front surf side, and BIG people is a good wake. Get another 600 or so pounds in that corner which can be done by only replacing the rear sac and you get a comp level wake, lots of push, long pocket, its beautiful. Adding that weight is still safe and within even the coast guard limits. Rub rail just kisses at speed, great every day setup with a killer wake. Now the same thing with the RZ4 or 24Ve with the pro ballast...

If you fill 600 in rear and 400 up front in surf side, the wave is totally neutered, the longer boat is like already having a bunch of front weight on a 22. It knocks the weight down and takes all power/push away. So add the same custom sacs like the RZ2 and its much better, but adding weight up front still neuters the wake. So you only get about 1200-1500lbs in corner, best to not use front weight and its good. Nice pocket and height, clean, but not the push of the RZ2. Great smooth transition though. At this point the RZ2 wake is still better mainly because of the push/power it has. However, modify the lockers and get more weight in there and the 24 wake is amazing, we are experiencing that now on our 24Ve. Better than RZ2, but at a cost. Its more weight than most people would want to run. The kind of weight that makes your wife nuts when you go out.

We are getting our hands on a Z3 soon, and will see how that does. I am excited due to initial reports. I am hoping for a great wake that is a bit easier to get then the 24Ve or RZ4.

Obviously my experience is heavily on the tige side, so others may be able to share that kind of experience on other boats. But the above is from a lot of testing and surfing. 500+ hours on the 24Ve and 200 on the RZ2.

Don't misunderstand though, most would probably be happy with the RZ4 and the custom sacs, good wake, just not comp or near comp wake. The RZ2 is just great because it takes so little to get that great wake.

On another note, a bit off topic, I am excited to also get a test on the new 21 foot enzo. Centurion did something interesting. They made a 21 foot boat, but its JUST as wide as the 230/240. I have been told its just a shorter 230/240, so same hull. We are hoping to get a chance to test one this fall.