Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-25-2014, 6:20 AM Reply   
Ok, last one for now. Im hoping to come home this afternoon and fire my all new system..but,

Let us suppose that I have no real interest in becoming an expert at tuning audio amplifiers. Let us assume that I have a basic understanding of frequency as it relates to sound.

My system is simply this 900-4 PP amp running off a Fusion deck.
My two front speakers are R Fosgate 8" M-282 : 100RMS / 200 peak
Two aft Infinity 6X9 6912M are 100/ 300
My question is what initial settings would you apply to this amp for start-up?
Specifically legend numbers:
So, yeah pretty much all the settings If I thought there was a Dave kind of guy around here I would just drag the boat over to him and pay up. Alas, the talent is pretty much grubby self taught pawn shop audio types.
I just want to get the system off the ground safely and then maybe fine tune it from there.
Thank you.
Attached Images

Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-25-2014, 7:22 AM Reply   
1. and 17 plug your RCA from deck into. or just plug into front and switch it to st mode #8
3 set in 10:00 clock pos.
5 nothing
13 nothing
15 set in 10:00 clock pos
16 and 2. Set in the 11:00 clock pos. Fusions only have 2 amp pre out
7 witch to HPF
11 HPF
4 leave out don't push in
6 " "
12" "
14 " '
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-25-2014, 8:38 AM Reply   
I would have to disagree with the above settings. I'm assuming your deck has Front and Rear RCA outputs as most decks do and not just a sub/rear output.
I spec'd the speakers and tailored the settings on your amp to be a good starting point. You may have to adjust the levels a bit, but the crossovers should be left alone for the most part.

1-Front RCAs from Deck
2-About 10' o clock
3-Set it to around 9 o clock (48 hz)
4-leave out
5-ignore
6-ignore
7-HPF
8-4CH
9-Better be lit
10-Better not be lit
11-HPF
12-ignore
13-ignore
14-leave out
15-Set it to around 8 o clock (36 hz)
16-Set it to around 12 o clock
17-Rear RCAs from deck
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-25-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
I usually crossover mid / highs around 70-80 hz.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-25-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
That's normally a good range to set it at in general and he very well may end up there after some tweaks.
I was just actually using the specs off his speakers so they can be used to their full potential and frequency response while not causing damage from too low of frequencies.
Setting it a little higher is good to be on the safe side, but you do lose some of your low end.
It really depends on the speaker and if that lower end bass sounds good or not out of it. Even though the speaker can physically handle it and produce it, it may not sound well, particularly if it is also trying to produce mids and highs at the same time.
I normally start at the range of what the speaker can handle and adjust from their to trim off based on what sounds good by ear.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-25-2014, 5:11 PM Reply   
Thanks so much guys. I got back a little late and try as i might, I just ran out of daylight today. Rears are in and wired, deck and amp are in and wired. I have yet to install the bolsters and front speakers then adjust the amp, cross my fingers hold my breath and turn it on.
Ill let you know how it works.
Gracias.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-26-2014, 6:21 PM Reply   
Thank you gentlemen. It got off the ground today in a rather impressive fashion. It sounds fantastic but even my uneducated ears can tell that a knowledgeable tune would be beneficial. I think I found somebody who seems to know what they are doing but I am worried. How do you vet someone for this task?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-26-2014, 8:25 PM Reply   
I'm guessing you mean see if they're qualified and know their stuff? Kinda hard without knowing it yourself. If they brought out an oscilloscope or something, I'd say they were serious about sound and knew their stuff.

If your happy with the sound, that's what's important.
After I have a baseline of what is working good, I will adjust the levels to maximize output.

To do this,
-turn your gains on your amp all the way down
-balance your fader on your deck so there is no left to right or front to rear bias
-balance your deck eq, no bass, treble, enhancements, etc, just flat
-unplug one pair of rcas
-turn on a balanced track from a high quality source (original cd 320kbps mp3, etc) that clearly illustrates music without a lot of distortion, I normally tune an amp to something like three doors down.
-Turn the volume to 85-90% of the maximum, if it goes to 30 put it to 25
-slowly adjust the gains up until you hear distortion in the speakers, when you do dial it back about 10% until there is no distortion
-Play something very typical to what you will be listening to, it should sound good without distortion, if it has any, dial back the gains again.
-unplug this set of rcas, plug in the set you unplugged before and repeat.
-after all is set, plug everything back in and enjoy. From here you can make minor tweaks with the head unit to adjust bass, treble, etc. But you will always know that the amp is setup right to the speakers and anything that doesn't sound right is in the deck settings.

I used to compete and run a side business building systems, both general and for competions, SQ and SPL. I'm out of that now, but love to share my knowledge to help out.

Oh, and also, don't forget about dynamat behind your speakers, and it helps the sound quality out.