Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
Do any of you have a humorous non-riding injury story? Something that made you take time off of the water (or becoming a designated driver)? Here's my most recent:

Background - I've got a crappy shoulder (take a number I know). A random injury when I was younger lead to a life time of shoulder subluxation instances which pole vaulting and wakeboarding definitely didn't help.

We're opening a new campus soon and I had the duty of ordering new classroom equipment. Once the items started to arrive I would use a pallet jack to move them around in our current building. One random Wednesday, a load of tool chests arrived at our door. Once they were on the jack they felt pretty heavy (2,500 pounds I later found out), but I managed to move them around without any injury. And then... it happened. I had used a heavy rug to hold open a door so that I could move the jack around easily. Once it was time to put the rug back, I took it outside to shake it off. With one big shake I not only got the dust off the rug but also partially dislocated my shoulder... ONLY ONE SHAKE!!! How did I manage to move around tool chests that weighed just over a ton, but I can't shake out a stinking rug???

Brother in law's story:

Rocking out one night he decided to jump over the couch. He landed on the hardwood floor and dislocating his shoulder. A few years later he tried a jumping jack with the same result.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-25-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
At age 15 we got this bright idea to make a dry ice bomb and throw it in our friends yard one night. I was volunteered to make the drop off. Running by, I tossed the 2 liter bottle and looked over my shoulder to see where it landed. In doing so I veered to the left and ran into a parked car breaking my tibia and landing on my face knocking myself out cold.
Adding insult to injury (as it were) I did $900 of damage to my buddies car and spent the summer in a cast up to my ass.
Ahh... to be a teenager again.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-25-2013, 10:08 AM Reply   
I went for a sober 50 ride and my headlight died mid-ride. I was cruising through a new development using the moonlight to guide me. In the shadow of an oak tree I was pinned starting to go up a hill. Suddenly the bike was gone and I was airborne. Fortunately I was wearing a beanie and a hoodie as I smacked the back of my head pretty good. I picked myself up, found my shoes in the dark and limped over to the still idling 50. When I tried to pick it up I realized it was tangled in a 1/3 inch steel cable that had apparently been strung across the road. There were no signs or reflectors or anything and fortunately I snapped the heavy duty brass clip.

So I rode the rest of the way home and inspected my wounds. Lots of scrapes from the road and cable, dislocated toes and a sore neck and head. It was dumb because I was fortunate to be wearing my beanie and had moved my head lamp aside to grab the beanie. I find it humorous because I got so lucky. It was a stupid thing and I still have the scars from the cable. Alls well that ends well I guess.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2013, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newty View Post
At age 15 we got this bright idea to make a dry ice bomb and throw it in our friends yard one night. I was volunteered to make the drop off. Running by, I tossed the 2 liter bottle and looked over my shoulder to see where it landed. In doing so I veered to the left and ran into a parked car breaking my tibia and landing on my face knocking myself out cold.
Adding insult to injury (as it were) I did $900 of damage to my buddies car and spent the summer in a cast up to my ass.
Ahh... to be a teenager again.
But did the bomb work?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-25-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrie141 View Post
But did the bomb work?
Nope...
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2013, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
I went for a sober 50 ride and my headlight died mid-ride. I was cruising through a new development using the moonlight to guide me. In the shadow of an oak tree I was pinned starting to go up a hill. Suddenly the bike was gone and I was airborne. Fortunately I was wearing a beanie and a hoodie as I smacked the back of my head pretty good. I picked myself up, found my shoes in the dark and limped over to the still idling 50. When I tried to pick it up I realized it was tangled in a 1/3 inch steel cable that had apparently been strung across the road. There were no signs or reflectors or anything and fortunately I snapped the heavy duty brass clip.

So I rode the rest of the way home and inspected my wounds. Lots of scrapes from the road and cable, dislocated toes and a sore neck and head. It was dumb because I was fortunate to be wearing my beanie and had moved my head lamp aside to grab the beanie. I find it humorous because I got so lucky. It was a stupid thing and I still have the scars from the cable. Alls well that ends well I guess.
Dude... although that went bad, it could have gone way worse! Glad it's humorous now and nothing too severe happened! I think anyone who's ridden a 50 more than once has some sort of story about it. I forgot the one my friend had didn't have a clutch. I grabbed the throttle to rev it and there it went. Straight up half-backflip right there in the middle of the street. I felt like such an idiot.
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-25-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrie141 View Post
But did the bomb work?
^
Old     (brianl)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-26-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
I had an 89 Malibu that I purchased used to learn how to be a good boat driver on before I went out and bought a new boat. I still laugh when I see picture of "my big Pole". So then I went to a boat show to look at new Malibu's, and threw down on a 2003 Malibu Wakesetter VLX on a Saturday Night. The boat was being delivered on Monday, the day after the Boat Show ended. That Sunday night I played Ice Hockey. I had a break away and some a-hole dives at me and swipes his stick at my ankles. That swipe upended me, and my speed and weight, and his speed and weight, crush me into the boards snapping my leg in half placing multiple screws and plates to repair my leg. Oh the dumb part, since I was a hockey player, I was in denial. It ain't broken take me home. So my wife takes me home and I woke up the next day and my ankle was literally the size of a pineapple. I had this great brand new boat and I couldn't wakeboard behind for 18 months. The salesperson was very courteous, he did deliver the boat to my front door, as he was probably thinking I was going to back out of the sale. Thx Garrison
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-26-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
I feel doing ole 360s surfing last week and wrapped my arm up in the surf rope real bad and got drug a good 100 yards before the driver noticed.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-26-2013, 7:37 PM Reply   
*^fell
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-26-2013, 9:13 PM Reply   
I've got two nice ones from this year. Hyper extended my right knee . . . in a bouncy house with my son. Currently have 6 staples in my scalp . . . from getting kicked in the head by my brother, who was jumping into the pool as I surfaced at the pool's edge. Kinda makes we wonder what next year will bring . . . .