Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-21-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
Has anyone out their had problems with their tranny in their 2007 ram 2500 Diesel..........
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-21-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
Yes I broke 5 48re transmissions last racing/sled pull year. Your 07 may have the AISON tranny if it has the new 6.7. I made it into countless magazines and won a bunch of tropheys. Little overkill for boat towing, but at 650 horsepower and 1300+ ft pounds of torque it breaks parts fast!
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k44/BONDOBOY/P1013538.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k44/BONDOBOY/HAO_0766.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k44/BONDOBOY/HAO_0716.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-21-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
input shaft billet.
Upload
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-21-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
only the chassis cab models have the aison the reg trucks have the 68rfe tranny which is built by dodge
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-21-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
get a DTT,ATS, Suncoast, or Goerand Bros. tranny and never look back!!
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-22-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
dang steve! gnarly!
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-23-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
Has anyone had their new tranny go out early..........
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-23-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
You've only had that truck for a few months haven't you?
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-23-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
John..... you started this thread with a loaded question. Yes. Problems. yes my stock tranny lasted 3500 miles and 4 months. What is your setup? stock? lift? tires? stock gears? What enhancers do you have? juice box? Tst? PPE? Bullydog? Dodges 48re tranny is a decent tranny, DTT, Goerand. and suncoast, and Jand H diesel in redding can make them even better.
my stock tranny had a bad tranny shudder 1-2-1-3 shift. Torque converter was toast after my 1st sled pull and all i had was a edge juice box. Lemme know what your expiriencing and I can maybe help, may not be tranny. May be bad TCM or may have low line pressure for what your using it for. Steve
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-24-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
No, no issues. '07 3500 5.9 little under 4K, no mods....NONE.
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       10-24-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
NO issues here 07 2500 megacab 6.7 8000 miles edge juice with attitude.
Old     (madvlin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-24-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
blew up my 05 on the second tranny now think it was at around 20k
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-24-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
No issues here, 04, six speed manual, 410 rear end, 53k, and NO mods needed.

Funny how we use the 5.9 totally stock in our work rigs, 0 mods, hauling 20k-30k worth of soda every day, year round, with no problems.

Take that same motor, put it in a pickup, and all of a sudden it needs new air intake, turbo, injectors, exhaust, Edge / Bullydog. All this to pull a toy hauler or a boat, and we can't figure out why the shi## is blowing up.

Not picking on anyone in particular, and maybe a little off track regarding trannies, but hey... slap a manual behind it, gear the rear properly, and the truck can drag a house around with no issues.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-24-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
just blew my 04 up at 97k. only mods are a tripple pup and afe intake and aeroturbine exhaust. it ran like a charm for a long time. i also pull a 7x14 cargo trailor almost everyday.

good point Cliff, its the american way!
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-26-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
I notice that my 2007 2500 no chip or no mods, shifts hard out of first gear into second.....sometimes from 3 into over drive it revs up and down real quick once it shifts
Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-26-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
I would highly recommend Suncoast. But if your gonna get a tranny your gonna be payin a good bit. This is one area you cant go cheap in.

I would suggest the one below. Aslo Ive heard good things from Goerand so might look into that.

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge/05-48RE-2X-4X.html

Also nothing against ats but I would stray away from their trannies.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-26-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Sounds like you need to take it to the dealer to me John.
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-31-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
I consider my truck somewhat of a hobby. How else can I justify the $$$$$$ rolling into it? Cliff, your right, these trucks don't need anything more, but man it's fun to go fast. Most everybody here tows boats, and my experience is lots of people see a rig towing and want to pass it. I love it when someone thinks they can roll on past me on the hills. Not gonna happen very often!! Not the fastest Dodge by far, but a blast to drive.
06 with the 48re. No probs yet with the tranny, but looking to put more power to ground.

KHA, why stay away from ATS? That's kinda what I've been looking at to upgrade.
Right now, I've just done injectors, intake, and exhaust, gauges, Ats tranny pan, and ats diff cover.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-31-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
when all u guys are at 100k miles with any edge products and stock tranns I wanna hear your stories then!

I just had to put a trans in my 6speed dodge. dang pricey!
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-31-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
cliff i wouldnt say no issues. I just popped my six speed
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-31-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
I am at 102000 thousand with a 135 hp box. Been flogging is since it was new. But, I have a DTT tranny. Best investment you can make if you mod it is a tranny. On the ATS comment, the five disc converter constantly slips because of space issues. While it slips you are pumping clutch material through you tranny. Not good... My converter is just two disc and has been real world tested to hold over 800hp. I chose DTT after investigating all the big boys.
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
Brad, its funny, that Bill kondolay (owner of DTT) now uses a multi disk converter. For years he said that multi's suck and that single disk converters are the cats pajamas and swore by line pressure. Ats is kinda like mcdonalds, just a bunch of premade trannys not built or tuned specifically to your truck, the failure rate on a ats tranny is rediculous. I have used 5 different transmission sources, And I think that DTT, suncoast, and JandH diesel are the best. i have never used qoerand brothers but alot of guys out east swear by them. steve
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
These are pictures of my truck in the Diesel power Challenge, for diesel power magazine. I took 3rd place overall on diesel only, I was one of the only ones not spraying nitrous. The challenge was published and televised, the truck ran a 12sec flat qtr mile.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-31-2007, 9:13 PM Reply   
steve, i could see your truck twice on dpm.com
what kind of things you have under the hood? you mentioned most of them had nitrous, does this mean your does not? you must have water or propane or something right?
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-31-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
i dont really know too much on the details of dodge transmissions. but i will share that i worked on a landscaping crew for a custom home builder a few summers back and i ran into some issues with our work truck. yes we used it haul lots of material and pull a dump trailor...but is that not what a pickup is for? at any rate, our dodge pickup was a 99 or 2000 and i cant explain all the problems i noticed. The transmission seemed to slip constantly, and if you were to tap the gas abruptly after jsut starting the truck it would shut itself off. i dont know if this is a transmission issue but i pulled into a vacant lot one day and the truck stalled, next thing i new a guy was walking my way from a similar dodge truck. he told me he had noticed similar problems with his truck and a few of his friends. Maybe the transmissions back then were just weak? i know most people here are talking about lifted trucks which is a wohle different ball game....but has anyone encountered this?
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
matt. The older dodges transmission and engines had issues with cables stretching over time on the tv cable on the tranny also the throttle position sensor would read low voltage and the throttle cable would eventually get alot of "play" in it which would bring the rpms below 800-850 rpms. When it was low if you tapped on the throttle (especially with the ac on or if turning at the same time) the motor would stall.
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
Liquid. My truck has a Troyan performance tranny, dynomite diesel injectors, dynomite diesel compound turbos, Arp headstuds, 6inch exhaust, tst power max twins, 4.56 gears, eaton e-lockers, ats fleplate, only tcs billet shafts, tial wastegates, and a couple other things that I cannot divulge. but no nitrous, and no water/meth and leave the propane on the barbque, too much compressionUpload
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-01-2007, 6:24 AM Reply   
Wholly F###!

Sure ya got enough power to merge onto the freeway.
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-01-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
Steve, I notice your intake manifold is stock, but looks like your exhaust manifold may not be. What kind of exhaust manifold do you have and why not the intake? Asking because I was going to get an ats intake manifold today to keep help get more air in to help with temp. Waste of time? I'm certainly not a pro in this department but love to tinker with the truck.
Glad I've heard about the ats trannies, I've always thought they were the best out there with all the literature and feedback that I've got. My tranny ok so far. I had injectors put in at a dealership close by, had them do it because they won't void warranty. I've got the ok for a bullydog, but I'm thinking that will be the end of the tranny. They will warranty it, but if I want to put in my own heavy duty parts I can bring them and they'll do labor under warranty.
Old     (bondo)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-01-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
My friends that owns dynomite diesel (lENNY) IS Making 900 horsepower with the stock intake manifold if that helps. There is more restriction in the intercooler and turbo lag than the intake manifold presents. My exhaust manifold is a Ats 3 piece and is turned upside down to elevate the top turbo high enough to clear the lower and the cold pipes. steve
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-01-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
thanks steve