Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    4sher            08-08-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Here are a few from last night. Anyone ollie-ing higher? Let's see it.

Old    surfdad            08-09-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
James is 13, just a shade over 5 feet tall, he'd be happy to take your men to school :-)

Floaters

Floaters

Floaters

Floaters
Old    tige_kid            08-09-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
Both of you guys are going higher then me, but jeff it doesnt look like your on james is going any higher then marks boys.
Old    surfdad            08-09-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
Hey Zack, check where the board leaves the water - you can sort of see where the board snaps out of the water, he's not popping off the lip, but a floater from about 18 inches below. He goes huge. His board is glassed light, single layer of glass, and he gets this awesome snap. Trust me on this, he can go higher than anyone I've ever seen before.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-09-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
not to mention all the awards James has, the kid rocks
Old    surfdad            08-09-2005, 4:42 PM Reply   
Hey Charles! Good to see you, James just won two additional contests, one in Minnesota a week or so ago and this past weekend in New Mexico, I'll post a pic of him receiving the trophies with his board and sponsor stickers. Neptunes, Tige, Monster Towers, PB boat center and Sharkbait Surfwax.
Old    tige_kid            08-09-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
Jeff, your right looking at the pic again you can just see how high the top of hiis board is out of the water. By the way do sell walker wakesurf boards or just make the for your son. Shoot me an email on all the details if you could.
Old    surfdad            08-10-2005, 6:19 AM Reply   
Hey Zack, I'll PM you tomorrow, we're out surfing today. Mike Walker (no relation) runs the Walker Project (www.thewalkerproject.com) and you can find the wake surfers there. Also, if you're looking for a used board, Arun Frances has a few of the original prototypes. If you Google The Ohana Board shop, you can find his contact info. I do believe that Mike will have a booth at the World's this year in Clear Lake. Again, I'll PM you tomorrow.
Old    burtography            08-10-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
jeff-
were those surf contests in minnesota and new mexico? who and what was the one in minnesota
Old    surfdad            08-11-2005, 6:32 AM Reply   
Hey Paul, yes, one was in Minnesota and the other was in New Mexico. The Minnesota event was held on Lake Washington. We flew into MSP and then drove to Mankato (sp?). I have the particulars in my office if you need them. I do believe the club that hosted the event was called the Lake Washington Wakeboard Club. The New Mexico event was held at the Dam Site Marina on Elephant Butte Reservoir in a little town called Truth or Consequences (I kid you not) New Mexico. I can't remember the name of the club, but the event was called Wake Bash 2005. Both were grass roots competitions.

Let me know if you need more info.
Old    surfdad            08-11-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
Hey again Paul, I see you are in Minessota, so I found the URL to the Minnesota contest:

http://www.l2wc.com/index.htm

They were a great group of folks and put on a very well organized event, everything went on schedule right down to the trophies at the end of the day.

Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-11-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
Jeff, are you guys ready for next week?
Old    surfdad            08-11-2005, 8:19 PM Reply   
Hey Arun, no. :-) Did you still want to practice? We're going out on Saturday and again Tuesday one last time. Let me know if you want to come out, we've got Jacky Hall and her hubby from the UK going out with us on Tuesday, we can always use more weight!
Old     (wakesurfer54)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
u guys r so lucky i cant make it this yr good luck guys
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-12-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff, I can't make it on Sat or Tues because I will be at the shop... maybe I can try to get our shop rat to cover on Tuesday. I will let you know if so, otherwise I will see you at the contest. Also, should I bring the boards up?

One other thing... is it cool if I use the swallow tail board for the contest?
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-12-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
Jeff, you located in So Cal? If so , where do you boat at?
Old    surfdad            08-13-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
Hey Arun, you can use any of the boards you want, would love to see you ride the ST in the competition. Just let me know what you want to do about practice, we're good. The rest of the boards you can return or keep in your shop if you think you can sell them, it's STRICTLY up to you. I didn't want to clutter your nice new shop up, but if you think you can sell them, I'd appreciate it.

Hey Rachel, no I'm up in Nor Cal, just below Sacramento. We almost exclusively ride at Hogan Reservoir. If you and yours are ever up this way, you've always got a pull with us.
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-13-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
Jeff, I guess I was mistaken cause I was just looking at your website and thought you might be near the beach since you manufacture surfboards.
Old    surfdad            08-13-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
Hey Rachel, I'm a CPA, you've confused me with Mike Walker, he manufactures boards from the prototypes my son and I created. Mike's shop is located in San Diego.
Old     (lovinpowell)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Hey Jeff,
Glad to see a fellow CPA so actively involved in wakesurfing. My wife is from Lodi. How far away is Hogan Reservoir. I am always so bored when I go visit the in-laws, knowing where it is, then I could bring my boat and not be bored anymore.
Old    surfdad            08-15-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
Hey lovin'

Lodi is about 10 minutes south of us and maybe 40 minutes west of the Hogan. Do your in-laws know that you talk about them like this?! :-) I can't believe that there are two CPA's in the states that get out of the office! If you visit, perhaps we could discuss FASB's or the joys of IRC Sec 280(A)(c)? :-) I'm sure we could keep an entire boatload of folks entertained. :-)
Old     (lovinpowell)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2005, 1:08 PM Reply   
Jeff:
I like to weight my boat down with old tax code books, they are very weighty (with all of those big words), and if they get wet I just throw out the old volumes and add the latest (since they change every year).
Old    surfdad            08-15-2005, 3:13 PM Reply   
LOL, I know that when we dealt with TEFRA it was heavier than lead per cubic - what yard? :-) We'd bettr stop or we'll get kicked off the board for the use of obscenities. :-)
Old     (lambertn)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2005, 7:38 PM Reply   
hey guys,
i was looking for some tips on how to get air, i haven't a clue. do i need a trick board cus i just have a landlock surfoboard with 2 huge fins at the back. appreciate any help
Old    surfdad            08-19-2005, 8:13 AM Reply   
Hey Nicolette, there are two basic ways. The first and probably easiest is a chop hop. Ride up to the top of the spine and ollie off back down into the trough. The other and more difficult is to slide back towards the back of the pocket and pump once or twice toward the largest part of the wake, a hard bottom turn UP towards the lip and then ollie off the lip. You'll need to rotate the board a bit in the air (about 45 degrees or so) to bring the nose around. You can progress into this by just try to get the board loose at the top, then push it harder and harder until the fins are clear. Good luck!
Old     (lambertn)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-19-2005, 7:49 PM Reply   
thanks a bunch Jeff,
i gave it a shot this morning, i'm not quite there yet but im sure it will work
Old     (lovinpowell)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
Jeff:
Some definitions would be somewhat helpful for those of us unfamiliar with the terminology. Where is the spine located?
What does ollie off mean?
Etc.
Thanks for your help.
Old    surfdad            08-22-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
I wish that we were all consistent with our usage of the terms, but for MY puposes the following apply. The spine is the crest of the wake starting from the boat and working back to where it turns to white water...so the very PEAK of the wake. The Ollie is just like in wakeboarding, pressing down on the back of the board while lifting the front, or allowing the front to rise, then releasing the rear foot and allowing that energy to lift the back of the board.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-07-2005, 4:06 PM Reply   
Shot from Boardstock. Fun stuff!