Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
Do chicks who wakeboard often find it difficult to find clothing to ride with? Do they wear boardshorts because the bottoms slip off or is it cause the comfortable or something else? Ive posted in the general wake discussion, but have not gotten any responses from the chicks.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-07-2014, 12:26 PM Reply   
my wife and most of her friends all wear short girl board shorts b/c bikini bottoms fall off
Old     (KJ865)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-07-2014, 12:58 PM Reply   
Definitely would recommend board shorts if you are jumping or doing anything where you may take a nasty spill. Bottom will come right off or ride straight up your butt!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ865 View Post
Definitely would recommend board shorts if you are jumping or doing anything where you may take a nasty spill. Bottom will come right off or ride straight up your butt!

If that wasnt the case, would you like to wear regular bathing suit bottoms or do you not mind the boardshorts? I would assume in terms of wanting to "look good" for the dudes, chicks would want to wear the bottoms, or is that the wrong assumption?
Old     (KJ865)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-07-2014, 1:47 PM Reply   
I like the boardshorts. They are comfortable and practical. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my looks while I'm riding. I'm just having fun. And if that's what girls are looking to do then there is plenty of time in the boat for that and they probably aren't that into riding if that's what they are worried about...

Old     (KJ865)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-07-2014, 1:48 PM Reply   
And they make tight fitting boardshorts for girls too its not like they have to rock a pair of guys baggy shorts

Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-08-2014, 5:10 PM Reply   
Now let me ask this, what attracts chicks to the current brands (billabong, hurley, etc.)? If you could change or improve the current clothing out there what would you want to improve or change? Would wakeboarding thrive off of a company that primarily focused on wakeboarding rather than lets say surfing?
Old     (KJ865)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-09-2014, 6:08 AM Reply   
I think the problem for a lot of girls is there isn't a lot of gear for ladies so it's hard to find and sizing is a big issue. Brands don't really matter so much bc you just go with whatever you can find for a decent price. For me I'm pretty lucky bc I'm average size and most stuff will fit but I have some friends with big butts or thicker thighs or bustier chests or fake boobs and its hard for them to find vests and board shorts that fit comfortable. I tend to prefer longer shorts so they don't ride up and become uncomfortable but a lot of my friends that have thicker thighs or bigger butts can't fit into those shorts and have to go with the really short ones or just wear their bathing suit bottoms. My friends and I are definitely fans of the stretchy material but that also seems tough to find for chicks. It's just not a huge sport for girls so most of the gear is marketed towards guys and girls bodies are just not built like a guys... and I don't think a company needs to focus on one water sport I think it needs to focus on products that fit all different shaped women.

Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-10-2014, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ865 View Post
I think the problem for a lot of girls is there isn't a lot of gear for ladies so it's hard to find and sizing is a big issue. Brands don't really matter so much bc you just go with whatever you can find for a decent price. For me I'm pretty lucky bc I'm average size and most stuff will fit but I have some friends with big butts or thicker thighs or bustier chests or fake boobs and its hard for them to find vests and board shorts that fit comfortable. I tend to prefer longer shorts so they don't ride up and become uncomfortable but a lot of my friends that have thicker thighs or bigger butts can't fit into those shorts and have to go with the really short ones or just wear their bathing suit bottoms. My friends and I are definitely fans of the stretchy material but that also seems tough to find for chicks. It's just not a huge sport for girls so most of the gear is marketed towards guys and girls bodies are just not built like a guys... and I don't think a company needs to focus on one water sport I think it needs to focus on products that fit all different shaped women.

I mean that makes sense! Do you think if there were more wakeboard clothing geared towards women, the sport would grow in terms of the amount of women that compete
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-10-2014, 10:15 AM Reply   
Also, I appreciate your replies!!
Old     (KJ865)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-10-2014, 1:34 PM Reply   
No problem. And I don't think clothing is the major factor. The sport in general is expensive especially if you don't live anywhere near a cable park then you have to know someone with a boat and have all your own gear or be able to borrow stuff. I was just lucky I fell in love with a man who owned a boat and was into wakeboarding or I probably never would have had the chance to ride and fall in love with wakeboarding. I think right now it's really about location and who you know and having the funds to do it. It's not a cheap hobby. I think clothes are the least of my concerns.

Old     (patriciagray)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-06-2014, 11:51 PM Reply   
When i have start the mountain bike riding so i have wear mountain bike clothes with protectors. But i'm pretty lucky bc I'm average size and most stuff will fit and my clothing brand is good make and comfortable clothes. and I don't think a company needs to focus on one mountain sport I think it needs to focus on products that fit all different shaped women.

Mountain Bike Clothing Brands
Old     (hogHunter)      Join Date: Nov 2013       03-12-2014, 6:48 AM Reply   
I like the newer swimsuit cuts that are more like boyshorts, the ones with the tie on them at the top... these stay on much better because you can cinch them down. Had good luck so far with these.
Old     (AZFamilyofBoarders)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-02-2014, 11:52 PM Reply   
I wear board shorts not because my bottoms fall off but because I feel like I get shoved in places it shouldn't be when/if I fall. I have a hard time finding cute girls board shorts, I have found some cute ones at Tillys
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-03-2014, 6:29 AM Reply   
Sorry for posting in the ladies section (I saw the post on the main page). Always wear board shorts! My wife and I won't let girls ride without them. In may years working a ski schools, I have seen two injuries caused by not wear board shorts. Use your imagination, it is not nice. One lady, who said that she never wears board shorts had do get stitches.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-03-2014, 8:35 AM Reply   
Justin, can you elaborate on that? What happened for those injuries to occur when not wearing board shorts? Did they start to come off and preventing their legs from moving right and resulted in a bad fall or something? I'm having a hard time picturing how that happens.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-03-2014, 9:28 AM Reply   
My wife wears boardshorts but when she started she didn't because there simply weren't the options out there for women that had curves and didn't want something super short.

We've since found a handful of styles (albeit not NEARLY the selection that I have as a man). Most board shorts for women are "short shorts" or they're made for teenage girls that don't have hips. Juniors sizes don't always work for women.

The advent of 4 way stretch shorts help a lot, but again, not a ton of selection for some women out there. My wife is a size 8 and has had a hard time finding options.

Read my thread here for more info:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799459
Old     (Mike_AMPD_HD)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-19-2014, 3:00 PM Reply   
Check out www.ampdhd.com they carry tons of women's products to wear there a PRO wake surf shop.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-25-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
Boardshorts or boyshorts to ride here. Bikini bottoms are for the pool.

Last edited by sexyws6mama; 07-25-2014 at 6:44 AM.
Old     (SBDon)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-01-2016, 6:46 PM Reply   
Depends who's on the boat with me. More times than not its usually just the husband and dogs with me, or I'm the only girl. I'll always wear boardshorts on the boat, whether or not I surf or board in them depends. Eh, if anyone sees a little butt cheek when I eat it I'm not too concerned (because Ive had board shorts ride up pretty good too) but I tend to gravitate towards bottoms that don't tie on the sides. Problem is I feel like bathing suits these days are more for aesthetic than utility. I like the basic triangle or halter top and basic bottoms. Now days these bathing suits are made for pool parties and hideous tan lines, or chicks that like to let it all hang out. Another challenge for me is I have an athletic build and I work out legs twice a week, so my glutes are not proportional to my waist so its either butt cheek hanging out or baggy bottoms.. and if that's the case I'll spare a little butt cheek rather than running the risk of bottoms falling completely off. And don't even get me started on the cost of these new suits..once I find one I like.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-15-2016, 12:10 AM Reply   
If you don't want to wear boardshorts, try Jolyn brand swimsuits. Many of the female surfers I know wear Jolyn bikinis as they have draw strings in the waist and racer back tops designed for high activity. They are also heavily used by beach volleyball players and competitive swimmers. Speedo also makes bikinis with draw strings and racer back tops (look in their suits made for competitive swimmers, not their fashion lines). The girls I know that started buying Jolyn are fanatics about the brand. I think it is only sold over the internet. There clearly are options for wearing bikinis that won't fall off when you ride, but wakeboarding does seem to have rather prudish fashion rules, so you may still feel like your showing off wakeboarding in a bikini. Maybe the reason all the female surfers I know wear bikinis while the wakeboarders wear boardshorts is because wakeboarders wear vests while surfers don't, and it does look a little awkward to be all covered up on top then have a skimpy bikini below.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-16-2016, 8:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBDon View Post
Depends who's on the boat with me. More times than not its usually just the husband and dogs with me, or I'm the only girl. I'll always wear boardshorts on the boat, whether or not I surf or board in them depends. Eh, if anyone sees a little butt cheek when I eat it I'm not too concerned (because Ive had board shorts ride up pretty good too) but I tend to gravitate towards bottoms that don't tie on the sides. Problem is I feel like bathing suits these days are more for aesthetic than utility. I like the basic triangle or halter top and basic bottoms. Now days these bathing suits are made for pool parties and hideous tan lines, or chicks that like to let it all hang out. Another challenge for me is I have an athletic build and I work out legs twice a week, so my glutes are not proportional to my waist so its either butt cheek hanging out or baggy bottoms.. and if that's the case I'll spare a little butt cheek rather than running the risk of bottoms falling completely off. And don't even get me started on the cost of these new suits..once I find one I like.
My wife went this year with speedo string tie bikinis and their tops which also stay on better if you have augmentation. Yes the bottoms can come down but not all way off like side ties do. Great stuff and I admit I like staring at her in them , did not do that with the shorts. The girl board shorts are all the short versions , the long versions for girls arc usually boy based and don't work well , she got her best board short ever was bought in Hawaii for surfing, a island brand Hinano Tahiti , but the second pair ordered instead of purchased looks more like boy short instead of girls so she went with the speedo stuff, 3 bottoms 4 tops, Georgious stuff, order larger than you think cause they run very small, but she looks even better In the small ones so try three sizes as all will work , small ones more sexy
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-16-2016, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
If you don't want to wear boardshorts, try Jolyn brand swimsuits. Many of the female surfers I know wear Jolyn bikinis as they have draw strings in the waist and racer back tops designed for high activity. They are also heavily used by beach volleyball players and competitive swimmers. Speedo also makes bikinis with draw strings and racer back tops (look in their suits made for competitive swimmers, not their fashion lines). The girls I know that started buying Jolyn are fanatics about the brand. I think it is only sold over the internet. There clearly are options for wearing bikinis that won't fall off when you ride, but wakeboarding does seem to have rather prudish fashion rules, so you may still feel like your showing off wakeboarding in a bikini. Maybe the reason all the female surfers I know wear bikinis while the wakeboarders wear boardshorts is because wakeboarders wear vests while surfers don't, and it does look a little awkward to be all covered up on top then have a skimpy bikini below.
Naw, looks safe and sexy:

https://www.facebook.com/daves.wakeb...0148390415136/
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-16-2016, 8:28 AM Reply   
Women's ocean surfing has figured this out decently well.

Criss-Cross tops are the safest bet. Anything that ties around the neck can actually cause damage to your neck and they tend to fall off easily. Criss-cross tops are safe and more reliable when you wreck.

For bottoms, you want something that ties, so that it's adjustable and you can tighten it so that it will stay put when you wreck.

Most girls that I ride with are using boardshorts or yoga shorts when riding to avoid wardrobe malfunctions.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-16-2016, 8:52 AM Reply   
I require shorts for girls riding on my boat. I've seen two injuries in my 22 years that no girl wants and both were girls not wearing shorts. One equaled a trip to the hospital.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-27-2016, 2:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Women's ocean surfing has figured this out decently well.
Ocean surfers tend to dress first for performance, then add style afterwards. Wakeboarding for whatever reason seems to be reversed and riders get the style they want then make it as functional as possible. I don't fully understand why, and having grown up around surfing, I would never sacrifice performance / comfort while riding just to look "cool".

As for the safety issue of women wearing board shorts, I have not heard that before but it's good to hear. I'll ask around and see if anyone else has had this experience and maybe warn my kids and their friends. We've jokingly referred to receiving "high speed enemas" on some crashes, so the concept certainly is familiar. I can say with certainty I've never heard of that happening surfing even with big wave surfers (then again, that might not be one of the first stories a girl would tell me). Surfers only get to the same speed as wakeboarders occasionally (big wave surfing which few people do), but the crashes even on medium sized waves can be more violent. Maybe its a different kind of violence - more like getting flattened by a middle linebacker and less like getting nailed by a fire hose.
Old     (WomenWakeboarding)      Join Date: Sep 2018       09-22-2018, 4:56 AM Reply   
The girls in our Women Wakeboarding community usually wear at least a WW Tshirt. It helps to hide the butt if it goes out of the bikini and if they are doing harder tricks, they also wear the boardshorts. Also, it's so fun to come to the wakespot and see another girl with the WW Tshirt - it shows you can get all the needed support from that girl! https://www.facebook.com/groups/487294821691921/
Old     (Summer225)      Join Date: Apr 2016       09-24-2018, 10:17 AM Reply   
Where else can I find a WW T-shirt? I don't do Facebook or board shorts, bikini only and the ass slipping out while wake boarding can be a problem.