Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-21-2004, 4:21 PM Reply   
Here is the last video you will see of me for a while. Last Friday, I cased the second wake with all my weight on my front foot. The crash didn't really look that bad, but the leg compressed so much that the Tibia smashed into the femur and resulted in a Tibial Plateau Fracture.

I cannot walk or drive for 6-8 weeks (maybe longer if I need the surgery).

I had a CT scan yesterday and have another appt. with the Ortho surgeon tomorrow afternoon to see if I will need the surgery to put a screw in it or not.

Here's the crash:
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=10404
Old    wakelvr            04-21-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
:-( We are very sad for you. We'll be there for you, you know that:-(

The crash did look bad in person... and it's still very hard to watch again on video:-(

Hang in there.. Ja and I will be up to see you this weekend:-)
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-21-2004, 4:28 PM Reply   
When I drink my 40 tonight I'll pour a little out for my broken Homie.
You know I'll help out wherever I can. After all, I still owe you from when I was trapped at home for a few months.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2004, 4:31 PM Reply   
damn, does this mean i have to start making vids again? i thought i could retire... :-)

you'll be back it girl. actually come to think of it - once you can be flag-b again you'll be making vids like crazy no doubt!

good luck with the consult tomorrow. hopefully surgery won't be necessary.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-21-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
Wow, sorry to hear that! Good luck with the rehab and hopefully you'll be back on the water sooner than you think.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-21-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
*sigh*
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
good luck on your recovery...

Without injury, there would be no excuse not to wakeboard
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-21-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
Ahhh that sucks Christie! Good luck with a speedy recovery!

It looked like the boat was a little slow. The wakes looked reeeeally wide. You landed on the upward transition of the second wake and you went big!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-21-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
Ouch! This sport we love sure does make us pay!

I was 10 weeks on crutches last year. It sucks.

Make sure your friends come to visit. And, consider getting netflix to watch sixfeetunder, sapranos, and sex-in-the-city.

Get well soon!
Old     (airbesar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-21-2004, 5:19 PM Reply   
So sorry. Few people are as joyful about boarding as you are; it seems especially unfair to have having such a good time bite you like this. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are back soon on the water.
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2004, 6:04 PM Reply   
That's horrible:-( I'm truly sad to read this news. I know how much you love this sport, so I'm sure this is a tough one for you. Hang in there and I hope and pray you recovery quickly so you can get back out there!:-)
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-21-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
Very sorry to hear that christie. You'll be back stronger than ever!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-21-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
Christie, I don't know you but as a silent admirer of your vids and positive posts, I hope you have a speedy recovery. It looks like you have many friends to help you out during this down time and that's got to mean alot to you. It says something about you as a person. Best of luck.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-21-2004, 6:36 PM Reply   
Fisher, Henry had somewhat of the same injury, about 3 years ago...fractured tibial plateau. I don't want to discourage you, but he was out for a year, most of the time, going thru rehab. My point in telling you that is that Henry did everything his doc said and did everything he had to do for to rehab...no cutting corners. And look where he's at now. He's as good as new.

Sorry to hear of your injury. Here's to a full and speedy recovery. (not too speedy...take your time and do it right!)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-21-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
goes into Tibial Plateau Fractures extensively...

http://www.emedicine.com/radio/topic698.htm
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-21-2004, 7:00 PM Reply   
Are the planets aligned wrong, the stars in the wrong place...geez all these injuries is truly sad. Christie i hope that you come through it okay and sorry to hear about that.
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-21-2004, 7:04 PM Reply   
blame it on the driver! now you can come visit az, and i can show you whats up.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2004, 7:42 PM Reply   
i landed in the same place on a crow and broke my tibia and fibula at the top of the boot. that was just last august, so i feel your pain!

get well soon, and you will be back out in no time.

(Message edited by timmy on April 21, 2004)
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-21-2004, 7:43 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear this, Christie...

JR
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-21-2004, 7:50 PM Reply   
Guess you will be doing alot of video footage in the coming weeks, just sorry you won't be in them! Gosh I have done that more than a few times! We feel your pain and hope for a speedy recovery! Get well soon!
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-21-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear. I hope you get better fast. You can always come hang out in Vegas.
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-21-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
Christie, we wish you a speedy recovery and hope all goes well with your appointment tomorrow. Take care and I am sure you have a great little helper taking care of you.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-21-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
Hey Christie, really sorry to hear about the spill! I hope you have a speedy recovery! Look forward to seeing you back out on the water.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       04-21-2004, 8:44 PM Reply   
o no, i hope you recover quickly and can enjoy the water soon.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-21-2004, 8:59 PM Reply   
Hey Christie,
That sucks. We'll prey for a speedy recovery for you.
Just think in 6-8 weeks it will still be summer here so don't worry. Actually summer won't even begin till you are healed.
You'll come back even stronger than ever. And have a full summer of ridding, or if it's slow for you, you can shoot some of your sick vids to entertain us. GOOD LUCK!!
Alan Bogdanoff
Old    norcal_99            04-21-2004, 11:22 PM Reply   
Christie, Sorry to hear. I fractured my Tibial Plateau on March 30th 2003.

Originally the doctor thought it was the ACL & Menicus, but after the MRI (five weeks later) he saw the Tibial Plateau fracture.

I hope you heal quicker than I did. I'm still not 100%.

Good luck.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-21-2004, 11:58 PM Reply   
that sucks

Christie, I tried calling you yesterday, but I'm sure you've got a lot going on. Remember that I only live 10 minutes away, so please call me if you need me to bring you anything or need help with a ride for yourself, or Josh, or whatever else. I'm around this weekend.
Old    boofhead            04-22-2004, 2:30 AM Reply   
Christie,
Gutted for you, have always enjoyed your vids and stuff hope you make a quick recovery.
Old    swass            04-22-2004, 5:45 AM Reply   
Get better soon, Christie! We're all relieved to know that a better-than-new recovery has begun.

(Message edited by swass on April 22, 2004)
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-22-2004, 6:54 AM Reply   
Christie

That sucks you broke your leg riding...I have broken mine twice riding and I know how you are feeling. Just know that after a while of riding the couch you'll be more focused and ready to rip when you get out there. Listen to the docs, and if they want to do surgery you might recover faster, I sat for 9 months waiting for a natural heal, then the docs put a rod in and I was riding in 6 weeks. Keep a positive attitiude and that'll help you heal faster too.

Zane Schwenk
Old    tlk            04-22-2004, 7:17 AM Reply   
Best of Luck Christie to a speedy recovery.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-22-2004, 7:18 AM Reply   
Christie, sorry to hear. We will be thinking about you up here in the NW. I hope your recovery is full and speedy.

Take care, Brad.
Old     (sunshine)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-22-2004, 7:19 AM Reply   
So sorry to hear that christie, get better soon! Hang in there and we're pulling for a fast recovery.

Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-22-2004, 7:22 AM Reply   
So sorry to hear, hope you heal quickly.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2004, 7:35 AM Reply   
Christie, wishing you a speedy recovery. Chris
Old    bambamski            04-22-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
Casing the wake is the worst!! What am I going to do now? I always look forward to your weekly video, it was one of those things that gets us Canadian folks through the long winter. Hope you have a speedy recovery and get back on the water sooner than later.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       04-22-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
Here's to a speedy recovery. Boy you hit it just perfect or unperfect, ouch. It's like you hit a wall.

"Are the planets aligned wrong, the stars in the wrong place...geez all these injuries is truly sad."

No kidding, I have counted 5 or 6 serious to even in one case fatal injuries in the last month. I hope this ends real soon, be carefull everybody.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-22-2004, 8:40 AM Reply   
Christie, I gotta say you are really taking this in stride. You are really a trooper. Keep us posted on your appointment today.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-22-2004, 9:01 AM Reply   
Christie is one of the toughest people I have ever met!!!!!!! I hope your recovery is quick and keep us posted
Old    missjade            04-22-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
Good luck on your recovery Christie. This is my first week of crutches and today is my first day coming to work without the cast/boot on. Even now I'm forgetting how painful it was for me even a week ago. Only when we're down do we realize how much we take walking for granted! I remember looking around thinking how lucky everyone was for being able to walk. Just follow the doctors orders and done cut corners on rehab and you'll be fine. Good luck!
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-22-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
Christie:

Sorry to hear you will be laid up! Like everyone else, I will miss your riding vids!! Here's to a speedy recovery!!
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-22-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
Well at least you got a personal PT, that would be Mimi and Joel can supply you with whatever you need to get around....hope to have gotten a smile out of you with this post. Take care and if you might need some help let me know. Only one exit away from your place.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       04-22-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
Sorry Christie, tack one more up for the injury list this year.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-22-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
Christie as tough as you handled it all weekend I'm sure you'll recover quickly. Keep us posted.
Old    jakeman            04-22-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
Tim
post that pic of your leg again
Old    swass            04-22-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
Have you considered suing the boat owner for reckless endangerment? There may be enough victims for a class-action suit.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2004, 2:42 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear Christie, I am really bummed for you. Progression was great over the last year or so. Perhaps some time being the 3rd might be good for you to see other peoples techniques and picture some of those tricks in your mind.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-22-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
damn I feel for you. Keep the attitude high and you'll be better in no time...

Old    buttacup            04-22-2004, 4:05 PM Reply   
I'm wishing you a speedy recovery as well! Hang in there and you'll be back on the water in no time.

Lynsey
Old    wakelvr            04-22-2004, 4:13 PM Reply   
Swass... Hey now, someone on here might take you seriously. And what if the driver isn't the owner?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-22-2004, 4:19 PM Reply   
Hey guys, leave me out of this!
Old    wakelvr            04-22-2004, 4:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for breaking my friend Brian!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
Stefani, then we have TWO potential defendants! Anyone know a good lawyer!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-22-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
oh this could get ugly. next you'll be wantin' evidence...plaster tire tracks, footprints, dog-smellin' prints and twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each one is. photographs of the approach, the getaway, the northwest corner, the southwest corner...and that's not to mention the aerial photography!
Old    eyesman            04-22-2004, 5:33 PM Reply   
christie,

i have an extra metallica ticket. pick you up tomorrow at 7. j/k this just sucks. wounded hip, scared face, jammed finger, fractured tibia. we should start our own tribe. i am so sorry to hear of this. i don't even want to watch the video. i hope things go good for you and i will pray for you.

dave
Old    pointless            04-22-2004, 5:37 PM Reply   
i am just getting over a broken fibula. i have been out for two months. I broke it skiing though, long story short i over jumped a kicker 20 into the flats. It was broken all the way though but i thought it was just a deep boot bang a torn muscle, limped around on it for a month before i went to the doctors and found out it was broken. Its getting better now but it was crazy to see how much muscle i lost in my right leg. good luck with the recovery
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-23-2004, 5:16 AM Reply   
Wow! Thanks everyone for all the well wishes. It will definitely keep me going in the next couple of months.

It is official: I am surgery-bound. I will get the surgery date tomorrow, but the doc said it will probably be some time next week.

In addition to the wedge that broke off, the CT scan showed an area that was depressed a good ways below the joint.

He drew the pattern on my leg so I would know what my scars will look like. He is going to try to scope most of it using five tiny incisions and on larger one just below the knew (only 2-3 inches). He said he will drill down under the depressed pieces and push those back up in place, fill the gap below with some bone-like material and then he will put two screws up top to hold it all in place.

No walking or driving for 6-8 weeks after the surgery. Looks like I will be getting a lot of reading and movie watching done :-)

Thanks again everyone for your encouragement and take it easy out there!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2004, 6:10 AM Reply   
Well Christie, at least you know the road that is ahead, instead of being in limbo like so often seems to happen when someone is injured. Glad they are getting you in for surgery quickly. I hope everything goes well and I'm looking forward to hanging out again under better circumstances.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-23-2004, 6:31 AM Reply   

That sucks. But like Paul said at least there don't appear to be any unknowns.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-23-2004, 7:04 AM Reply   
They will build you faster.. stronger.... The Bionic Schleprock!!! Best to you during your lay up period. What sucks the worst is that your will be going on 2 weeks with a busted leg. Can't wait to see you on your board again.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
Christe, dang sorry to hear the news. You will be back in no time better than before.
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-23-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
My surgery is scheduled for 7:30 a.m. next Wednesday. I'll be sure and post an update after I am coherant enough to do so.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2004, 7:22 PM Reply   
"In addition to the wedge that broke off..."

Ever resourceful and inventive, Fisher finds a creative new way to break another wedge, and this time Malibu does not have to pony up to replace it.

Christie, let me know when you find out for what day your surgery is scheduled.

Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2004, 7:23 PM Reply   
Oh, you beat me to the punch.
We've got you covered for a ride that morning if you need it.
Old    deltahoosier            04-23-2004, 8:43 PM Reply   
Take care Christie. We hope to see you back on your feet again soon. Let me know if there is something we can do for you.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-23-2004, 11:40 PM Reply   
Dang..Sorry to hear about your leg!!! Get better ASAP OK!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
Christie, sorry to hear that, good luck! Hope it heals fast!!

Whats with everyone getting injured. There'll have to be a new phorum page just for injuries soon.
Old    absolutofft            04-24-2004, 9:50 PM Reply   
Wow that video is pretty scary when you think that's all it takes to break a leg.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-25-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
Yikes Christie! Heal quickly. You are fortunate for the modern medicine that we have these days.
Old    akman            04-26-2004, 8:33 PM Reply   
Christie, Hang in there.......and let us know how it goes this week.

Old    bretbaker3            04-26-2004, 9:37 PM Reply   
Hang in there! It sucks but it can ALWAYS be worse. At least you have your health and freedom. I get back to the good ole U.S. of A. in August. Maybe you'll be better then and we'll both be back boarding. Take care of yourself and heal fast.

Semper Fidelis,
GySgt Bret Baker
Fallujah, Iraq
Old    bretbaker3            04-26-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
Hang in there! It sucks but it can ALWAYS be worse. At least you have your health and freedom. I get back to the good ole U.S. of A. in August. Maybe you'll be better then and we'll both be back boarding. Take care of yourself and heal fast.

Semper Fidelis,
GySgt Bret Baker
Fallujah, Iraq
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-27-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
Christie,

You should video the procedure and make a video of that!
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-27-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
Thanks again, everyone. Tomorrow morning is the big operation and then the true healing can start. I'll be back on a board in no time.

J-Rod - funny that you should say that...I had my pre-op appointment yesterday and that was one of my questions. Unfortunately, I cannot get a video at John Muir. However, he said he would take lots of pictures for me so I will scan them in and do a slide show...next best thing.

See you all in a couple of weeks!!
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-27-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
Stef told me what happened. I am so sorry to hear that happened to you. Man girl! We all know you're the toughest woman any of us have ever met, you don't have to keep proving it! Take care, and like you said, after child birth, everything else is like a cake walk! Take care, I'll be sending you happy thoughts tomorrow.
Laurie
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-28-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Well, we dropped Christie off at the hospital this morning, and she is probably under the knife as I write this. She had a few minor butterflies about going under the general anesthesia, but she went in bravely sporting the obligatory "got wake?" sticker on her crutches, and it turns out that the surgeon also is a wakeboarder, so I expect all will be fine. I snapped a nice photo in pre-op but am unable to upload it, so if anybody can help out, send me an email. I'm sure Christie will be back on WakeWorld just as soon as the gas wears off, so everybody lets hear it for her!
Old    wakelvr            04-28-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
Jimmy,

Email me the photo and I'll post it for you.

Also, Jason will be heading over there at lunch time today to visit her in recovery. I'll have him post an additional update as well.

Old    wakelvr            04-28-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
Here is the picture that Dr. Octagon took!
Thanks Jimmy!

Old    road_hawg            04-28-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
Christie,

Sorry to hear of your fracture! (Bad spot to crack, huh). You've had a ton of great posts here from folks who truly want to support you. Let me say that it is people like those in the WakeWorld community that inspire me and my family. No finer folks exist. My son, Danny Dean, just got out of the hospital from 3 months internment there. Danny's recovery is directly proportional to the support of so many wonderful human beings. I imagine your healing will be similar. The world is truly full of these uplifting souls. What a neat validation to learn.

Our heart-felt wishes for your fast and comfortable recovery!

Doug Dean
Old    wakelvr            04-28-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
Christie is out of surgery and recovering. Jason says she looks well but is in much pain. He is trying to find out what exactly took place and if there was soft tissue damage as well. Will post once we find out. Christie says hi!