Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
Thanks to Doug... I got to go out on the new Wakecraft... and put it to the test...

Weather - Windy windy windy!!!
Water - Cold cold cold!
Passengers - 7
Ballast - Full - Approx 1200lbs.
Trim Tab - Between all the way up to 3/4 up.
Speed - 22mph.
Rope - 70ft.

Sorry I couldn't get a great picture of the wake... My lens had too much zoom... so this is what you get.

Review

Wake - Big and meaty... with adjusting trim tab can be very vert... or long ramp. It is a thick wake and doesn't break away. It pops you. I was not expecting it to be very clean because of the windy conditions, but it was a clean crisp symmetrical wake all the way back to 80ft.

Drive - Boat was riding low with the number of passengers and ballast and the big chop from the wind. The boat is 20 1/2 feet. Out of the hole with no problem. Very nimble and responsive boat. Solid pull and little to no side to side pull with rider. When you are driving... the bow is short and round... so you don't even see the bow when you are driving. Clear view! No obstructions from tower, boards... NOTHING... you feel like you are driving a boat with no tower.

Interior - Wow... fit and finish was great. Dash switches were a little cluttered... and some were in places that were inconvenient. I was not a fan of where the key was. Storage everywhere! Big cool and easy to reach for everyone! Stereo remotes everywhere! I was impressed!

Tower - There has been a lot of talk about the tower. Looking at pictures... I was not a fan. After driving it... It is kind of nice not even realizing there is a tower there. It was very solid. You really have to drive the boat to appreciate the tower. My guest riders liked the tower.

Serviceability - WOW WOW WOW!!! The entire rear hatch and seats lift as one unit with the press of a button! The entire engine and tranny is exposed and easy to access! A mechanics or do it yourselfers dream.

Other stuff - Side exhaust... same experience as I had in the Epic... a little noisy... but you still get the side to side noise changing as the boat turned. Baffles and individual exhaust systems are suppose to help this problem.

REALITY - I wish new boat makers... Wakecraft... Epic... and others.... Would limit the bling... and make a boat that performs like the big boys... at half the price. With fuel prices seemingly going further and further up... I just want a boat that has great performance and quality build.

After being in some of the latest and greatest boats... ie Wakecraft... Epic... X-Star... etc etc etc... The list goes on....

If you have a half decent boat... and you take the time to tweek the weight distribution.. you can get a great wake out of most tournament boats.... on the flip side.. you can take what you think is the best boat... and get a horrible wake...

I could do without fancy trailers, interior bling etc etc etc...

Just give me an option to buy a boat with a great wake and quality build at an affordable price tag!

Overall... If you are looking for a boat that will fit in most garages... has a very solid feel.... easy serviceability.... has plenty of bling... including bling on the trailer... turn-key... ready to go from factory... Wakecraft can fit the bill!!!

Thanks Doug!!!

Posting pics soon... gotta resize them!
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-22-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
Great review. Did you happen to do any wakesurfing?
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-22-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
I was out on Folsom Friday night and heard what sounded like a Formula or some sort of cig boat running up Rattlesnake. Sure enough, a red Wakecraft cruised by. I've heard the Enzo and a couple other through hulls but dang did it sound tough! I really hope they make it in the industry. Nice boat.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
Here are some pics... Will try and capture some more stills off of the video camera when I have time. Sorry no wakesurfing this time around... will try and get better pics when water conditions are nicer.
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-22-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
We will have some pic's of surfing behind ours this weekend Jeff.
Old     (wakecraft)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-22-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Thanks for the review. We took a Wakecraft out last week for a photo shoot. With the symetrical wake we achieved 2 up surfing.

Upload
Old    bocephus            05-22-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
Hey Kyle,
REALITY - I wish new boat makers... Wakecraft... Epic... and others.... Would limit the bling... and make a boat that performs like the big boys... at half the price. With fuel prices seemingly going further and further up... I just want a boat that has great performance and quality build. - By Kyle (hamkj)

You described a Sanger!
Old     (bullit)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-22-2007, 5:56 PM Reply   
Thanks Kyle, it was a lot of fun to hang out with you guys. We will have to do it again in the near future and when it's not windy, windy, windy!!
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-23-2007, 12:10 AM Reply   
REALITY - I wish new boat makers... Wakecraft... Epic... and others.... Would limit the bling... and make a boat that performs like the big boys... at half the price. With fuel prices seemingly going further and further up... I just want a boat that has great performance and quality build.

That's why you buy a Supra!
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-23-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
I would have to disagree with the Supra comment...

Epic - $79,000+ cdn.
WakeCraft - $69,000 cdn.
Supra - $65,000+ cdn.
MC - $75,000+ cdn.
SAN - $75,000+ cdn.
Moomba - $55,000+ cdn.
Supreme, Centurian and Sanger you can get well equipped for $50,000ish cdn.

Is it not possible to come out with a good boat, with a tower and some ballast... 20-21 feet... $40-$45,000?

Maybe that is not a market anyone wants to go after... but I think it is feasible.

Who knows... I already have a boat... but just curious to see if someone can hit that price point for a well equipped boat...

I would think that people were paying $65,000 cdn for fully loaded boats 5 years ago and the dollar was .80 cents to the US... Now we are .92 cents... you would think we would see some better pricing... but we have seen the opposite... so I think some of the bigger dealers are making some good profits!
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-23-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
what about svfara, are those popular in canada??? i asked the guy at the boat show regarding the svone, there slalom boat, and the goof ball didnt vene know that svfara made it?? not a well trained salesmen..
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-23-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
Currently... the boats that are being produced in Canada... are not the most common on the lakes around here...

In the Okanagan...

Builders

Katana Industries is building Epic Boats - known for the big wake, the blunt nose (like it or not), 4000lbs ballast (don't know if anyone has ever weighed it), working out some kinks and improving with every boat built.

Svfara is building Svfara - SV One is a pure ski boat. Official Tow Boat of the Provincial Waterski tour. SV696 and SV2 are the Official Tow Boat of the Provincial Wakebard Tour. Svfara is known for their car like interiors and European style fit and finish.

Malibu Boats builds Liquid Ride - Liquid Ride are mostly custom ordered only and most dealers have these boats pre-sold. They are high priced and come with all the bells and whistles! Great fit and finish. Would like to put one to the test!

As of right now, there are lots of Malibu, MC, and Supras on our local lakes. We are seeing a few more Supremes, Centurians, and Calabrias pop up here and there.

There is finally an Epic on our lake which is part of a local advertising campaign. Owned by a group of whom have never wakeboarded ever.

There will be a few more Liquid Rides out on the lake as I know some dealers that have sold a few... in the high $90k range. Can't wait to see them!!!

Its really too bad that local consumers don't support our local builders more... but in turn... it is too bad local builders can't cut the local consumers some better deals... but I am sure that would affect the MSRP that dealers wish to sell for... so I don't think that would ever happen.

We actually only have one long standing tournament boat dealer in town. Supra/Moomba... who operates from his home. So there is not really any big physical tournament boat dealer in town. Not even really anywhere to get the boats serviced...

Lets hope we see some new flashy boats out on the water... its always nice to see something new and different... and put them to the test.
Old     (bullit)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-28-2007, 11:47 PM Reply   
Remember $69,000 for a Wakecraft is for a fully loaded boat with everything.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-29-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
Crazy...
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-29-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Canadian $$ right bullit?
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-29-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
i had a chance to compare an 03 VLX to my wakecraft this weekend. the vlx wake with full ballast and wedge was smaller and less defined than the wakecraft with no ballast. same people aboard.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-29-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
I'm not bashing any boat, in fact I believe you buy what you want for your reasons.

But the last statement made is ridiculous. You didn't say how many people or their weight but let's assume it's 4 and they all weight 180lbs (720lbs). You say Wakecraft (3000lbs + 720lbs-4 people) 3720lbs is bigger than a vlx (3600lb + 1200lbs ballast + wedge + 720 same 4 people) at 5520lbs. That math doesn't add. No way can the wakecraft wake be smaller. Not sure what you mean by definition but if you mean shape they are probably differant. Which shape you prefer is your decision. There's no way it can be bigger.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-29-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
You might want to re-read your post, makes no sense.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-29-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
i dont know the exact specs, it was factory MLS ballast and wedge on 03 VLX . we had the same people aboard since we were all together on a houseboat trip on the delta. it just a visual observation. , but i invite anyone who is able , too come check it out for themselves..
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-29-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
How can you be for certain that a Wakecraft wake is smaller noti? Especially if you havent seen the Wakecraft wake? Not throwing anything here just plane asking
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-29-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   

quote:

Drive - Boat was riding low with the number of passengers and ballast

kevin,
Judging by this comment and the last two pics of the rider and the wake, I think Noti can be certain. That wake looks about the same size as an'03 with stock, take away the ballast and it will only get smaller.

Wake looks good, but too many people love to exagerate, the pics don't lie. Even though everyboat owner here says "the pics did not do the wake justice" that is the nature of point and shoot cameras, they flatten everything out you have to have a rider for reference.

(Message edited by liveoz on May 29, 2007)
Old     (bullit)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-29-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Yes that is canadian $$. Boats with equivelent equipment don't come to close to that price up here. At the last boat show we were at most people upon seeing the boat and finding out what it cam e with thought the price would be around $84,000.

Remember the comment below is from a completly non-biast reviewer.

Review

Wake - Big and meaty... with adjusting trim tab can be very vert... or long ramp. It is a thick wake and doesn't break away. It pops you. I was not expecting it to be very clean because of the windy conditions, but it was a clean crisp symmetrical wake all the way back to 80ft. }
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-29-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
yes the wake is big and meaty, can be very intimidating for beginner riders. we had to trim the tab to calm it down for some of bour beginners this weekend. only time we filled the ballast was for surfing. i would really like to get some of you better riders to come out with me and ride it for yourselves. like ive stated before my skill is in slalom skiing and im a beginner boarder. i know alot of you live here in sac. i live almost walking distance from the ramp at folsom and i belong toa private ski lake in roseville. so anyone who wants to let me know. ill have the boat on the water all day at the granite bay ramp for the boat show on friday. stop by and i'll give you a ride.

(Message edited by rodltg2 on May 29, 2007)
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-29-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
Rod sounds like us this weekend. We only filled the tanks up to try our hand at surfing. Troy the boat rides low anyhow with or without Im just saying that without riding both one after the other one can not be certain, thats all. I'll tell you one thing it been taking a lot of getting use to when for ever you ski behind a boat that has a ripple for a wake. Seeing a two foot drop (at least looks like it) feels like Im dropping off a cornice on the mountain, a bit intimidating for sure! But I'll keep trying. Loads of fun.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-29-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
That wake looks good. I'd like to check one out myself.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-29-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
here is shot from monday, no ballast and trim plate adjusted to mellow it out. we had 6 people aboard. i think 20mph, i wasnt driving, enjoying an adult beverage.

Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-30-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
You have to give props to that wake. It is a little washy at top but has great form, and could probably be cleaned up with a little speed.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Ya it cleans up at 21.5- on up.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-30-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
another thing i have noticed , is that the boat has very little bow rise when loaded. its also very quick to plane out.
Old     (trentmalik)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-30-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
That tower looks like a good copy of the tower on Malibu's. Seems like Malibu had trouble with it cracking. Wonder how this one will hold up over time.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-30-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
I don't think Bu had a problem with it cracking, it swayed terribly and the construct was shotty. Not to mention it was very expensive and the supplier had issue getting the product out.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
I haven’t noticed any swaying with the Wakecraft tower that thing is solid. You would think its real close to the other Bu tower but in reality the Wakecraft tower is a lot bigger in girth and beautifully constructed. Trent- too true time will tell but they beat the hell out of the first production boat last year and put plenty of hours behind that boat and not one problem with the tower. I’m confident it will hold up with the best of them.
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       05-30-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Kyle,

I was riding behind a new liquid ride up here in Vernon last weekend. By far the biggest and firmest wake I have been on, I know people want pics but I don't have any... That was me riding in the ads out this season.

Sick boats, the best rough water wide I have been in.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-30-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Has anyone addressed the issue of the back "lockers/engine compartment"? When you open it up doesnt everything fall into the engine bay since it all lifts?

Also, just because a wake looks big doesnt mean it is a good wake, definitely the firmness would be what i look for, other wise you plow right through it

Just some questions and my 2 cents
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
lasvegas - I havent had anything fall into the engine bay. But I also dont pack it with a lot of stuff just a few fenders and jackets, rope etc...o ya and my removable table as well. It all stays put for me. Also its not often that I raise the hatch the center rectangle on the sun deck lifts all the way up so you can check oil without lifting it.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-30-2007, 6:09 PM Reply   
Las Vegas.... you would only open the ENITRE hatch when it is being serviced.... in which.. you would empty the rear lockers out anyways....