Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-04-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
So my quest for a new tow vehicle has resumed now that the sun is out, and I'm pretty set on a Tahoe. I'm searching the net for the best deal on what I want, and I keep coming across trucks that are just the color and options I want for a smokin' deal, but they are 2WD. I'd love some input from those of you towing with 2WD trucks...any trouble ever? Anything I should know about this? Thanks in advance for your comments
Old     (dc15boatman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
No worries. Are you going to launch in mud?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-04-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
only time i have ever used my four wheel drive was at the the delta. sometimes the ramps there get algae really bad and this one hella steep and slippery. so i used it to just to be sure i made it up the ramp. other wise it is no big deal. never used it other wise
Old    stillstandin            04-04-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
I just got rid of my 4X4..never used it. I tow with a 2wd suburban, and have not had any problems
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-04-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
I just went to a 2WD diesel Excursion. Haven't had any problems yet and have pulled the boat out with up to 6 people in it. I guess if it started slipping too much I would pull everyone out of the boat and get them over the rear axle of the Excursion. Anyone have any other tricks for a slippery boat ramp and a 2WD vehicle?
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-04-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
Josh... not sure how willing you are to do this... but if your looking for 4WD... look around on autotrader in OK, TX, and CO. 90% of what you'll find will be 4WD. Might be worth the drive or flight to get exactly what you want. Just throwing out a thought.
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-04-2007, 10:48 PM Reply   
I couldn't agree more, Tanner. I am going to go wherever I have to go to get the best deal I can.

Thanks for all of the input, everyone. My buddy got me all worked up about the algae on the ramp, which we don't have at our lake, but he had me worried of just the possibility. It sounds as though that's really not a major consideration. Again, many thanks.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-04-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
i tow w/ a 2wd f150...no probs.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-05-2007, 5:28 AM Reply   
I would not dream of owning a tow vehicle w.o 4wd, of course, my vehicle does more than tow a BU. Last week our wakeboard lease was flooding, hard to remove 5th wheels w/o it, I duck hunt during the winter months, and ramps can be slick sometimes with algae. Besides resale in Texas w.o 4wd would be a bitch.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       04-05-2007, 5:59 AM Reply   
I had a 2WD truck that made me wish I had a 4WD on certain instances. Now that I have a 4WD, I've never needed it (at the ramp). Go figure?

I'm guessing that if you tow to numerous places you'll end up coming across some ramps you wished you had 4WD, but I'm sure you've also seen some of the vehicles people use to pull their boats around.

In short...4WD is the way to go, if not only for peace of mind, but if you tow at a only a few ramps that you have experience with 2WD may suffice.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-05-2007, 6:12 AM Reply   
I've got 4 wheel drive, and have only used it with the boat a couple of times. But those could have been avoided. Chevy/GMC offer a rear locker "G80" This locks the rear wheels together and is much better than a 'limited slip'. If I didn't have 4 wheel I'd have this at a minimum.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-05-2007, 6:20 AM Reply   
I store MY boat in my Dad's barn, and it is not paved from his driveway back to his barn. 4WD (Z71 Tahoe)comes in really handy when it has rained in the last few days and I am trying to pull it out, or put it back in.

Other than that, we use the Dodge Ram 2wd for most of the towing as it has a hemi with more torque. So long as it is not muddy, the dodge has had 0 problems.
Old     (highdyner)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-05-2007, 6:20 AM Reply   
Y you need 4wd..not really, but this is some good boat ramp fun. I'm sure they've been posted here somewhere before..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FshOpPqj88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvAQBimee80
Old     (uncc_grad)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
If you look closely, 2WD trucks are often rated at a higher towing weight than 4WD. I have a 4WD Dodge Dakota and 2WD Dodge Durango that I use to tow my 17' I/O and my 16' hunting skiff.

The only time I have to use the 4WD Dakota is in the winter time on icy ramps and when I put in on primitive gravel ramps. The 2WD Durango does fine as long as it is above freezing and you have a good concrete grooved ramp.

Bottom line...2WD should be fine for towing a ski/wakeboard rig.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-05-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
If you have a decent slip then you should be OK.

I have to launch my boat on a sandy beach and really really need 4x4. In fact i sometimes needs a tractor or similar as my landrover has been known to get stuck in the sand!
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-05-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
Brad, the main reason 2wd trucks are rated to tow more is the GCWR calculation, because 4wd components add weight to the vehicle.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-05-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
I have a 2wd tahoe lt and it has the larger motor 5.3 and it has a limited slip rear end. I also have the limited slip on the tundra and this help alot when going up a slippery ramp. It will start to spin one wheel and then the other locks in and it pulls right out. I tow a VLX if that helps, also towed up an upaved muddy road with no troubles either.

good luck on which ever way you go.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-05-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
Look for a Denali, AWD . My Suburban is 2WD and I have been ok. Most 2WD GM trucks have a locking rear that should help when the going gets slick.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-05-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
i never used 4x4 on my truck for towing, but it was nice to have to mudd, off road and the snow. i would never get a truck without it, i would hate to have a truck and not be able to do something that i needed 4wd for. now i have a denali which is full time awd and it's great, off road and in the snow ive never had an issue
Old    bocephus            04-05-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Don't go to Elsinore with a 2WD!!!

I might upgraded my 2wd with a detroit locker...
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-05-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
Detroit's suck on the street. Get an E-locker.

Nothing wrong with 2wd. The Tahoe has enough weight in the back to keep it from spinning in most circumstances. Driver can compensate for lack of traction :-)

We had an 01 C1500 Tahoe and an 01 K2500 Sub. The Sub will out tow it every time, mostly due to the longer wheelbase. The suspension stiffness and larger brakes of a 3/4 ton definitely help though.

The motor size does matter and anything less than a 5.3L will not cut it. The rear end gear ratio can also make or break a truck. Although easy to change with a 2wd.

You can buy any large gas powered vehicle for cheap, as their value is very low any time gas is over $3.00 a gallon.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-05-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
"The motor size does matter and anything less than a 5.3L will not cut it. "

Like 2wd v 4wd, this also depends on your application. I tow with a 4.6l in an older 2WD F-150 Supercrew and it's fine. I spend most of my time lugging the boat short distances (30 or 40 miles)on flat ground. I DO take the boat (Calabria Pro-V) to mountain lakes with steep climbs and a full load and it puts her through her paces but it's good enough for the few times I make that trip in a season.

If you do alot of towing in the mountains then what Pete said is certainly true, otherwise it's a more a question of preference than need.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-05-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
JAY, what type landie do you drive? My tow vehicle is a '97 D90.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-05-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
I've got 4WD, but have only used it maybe once or twice pulling the boat out of the water. It's really rare to need much mor than 2WD unless the ramp is unusually steep, slimy or you are on a dirt ramp.
Old     (truckguy89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
Ive got a '02 2wd Silverado and have no problems towing to the lake or putting it in the water. IF your ramps sucks then throw some aggresive tread tires on it and you'll be fine. Unless you launch in mud or loose sand.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-07-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
We gave up on the silt covered ramps on the Sac River (Garcia Bend and Miller Park) and are fine w/ 2WD 4Runner. Any other ramp we've used on the Delta or at Folsom, Camanche is no worries.