Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-27-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
I guess you would say I am a poser too. Since I one of those people working on my wake to wake not for a year or so. Since we have no boat and all of last season I was working and could not ride a lot. An I get out and ride with the NWL , and all I do is have a blast out on the water. Everyone says if there was a place for having a good time on the water with every trick I try I would win. I always have a smile on my face no matter if I take a hard smack or not. I just love being on the water.
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       09-27-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
Alright, I think some of you have misunderstood me. Im talking about people that lie about their tricks consistently. In my mind, Im still a noob after 3 seasons of riding.I also definitely do not go up to every rider and ask for their trick list. Sorry if I offended any of you guys. Im not calling anybody a poser here either
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-27-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
Thanks too this thread, I feel so much better knowing that there are others out there that just plain suk! It seems that every time someone rides past us, they are sticking a trick or two as they go by. I need to keep a closer eye out for others like myself that seem to just get worse year after year. Thanks, now maybe I can shop around for a newer boat. Oh, and I love being out on the water riding and watching the kids ride.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-27-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
Did you just say I suck??? Them's fightin' words!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-27-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
I'm a poser......literally!!!

So quit talkin about me!!
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-27-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
I read maybe on or two comments, but really? Why is this post even on here, who cares what your "tricklist" is.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-27-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
what he probably meant by poser is someone who pretends there really good at wakeboarding when all they do is get up and ride around, maybe go w2w etc. the thing that makes someone a poser isnt how well they ride but how they talk about there riding. people trying to be something they arent.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-27-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
READ THIS!!!!}

I read ony the first few posts.... but I skimmed most of them...

Dave W. and Joe U.: I don't think a poser is someone who can't do tricks. If they are out there wakeboarding, and having a "blast," than they are truly wakeboarders.

The ones that get me, are the kids that go out there and lie and say they land all this cool stuff, and how good they are, and blah blah blah, and then you watch them and they suck.

They don't care about the sport, there not out there to get better, they are out there to look cool. They are the posers!!

THAT IS THE DEFFINITION OF A POSER!!!!!!!

just my 2cents

(Message edited by gdillyfunk69 on September 27, 2007)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
Does anyone else kind of miss the skateboard/Snow/surf mentality. I am all for sharing the stoke, but it seems that there are a lot of "soft gloves" used these days in wakeboarding. Its like everything around here is teddy bears and gum drops. Whats wrong with being rough around the edges, a bit of a punk, etc. I personally really like the attitudes of Chris Williams (though I have never met him), the old (maybe the new ones too) westsiders, etc. A little rebellion, punk tude and general color might really liven up this sport. I dunno, seems kind of bland around here.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-27-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
BBR you are a poser. and your wife is a poser as well. lol...I was thinkin of rolling up there on sat. how has it been. Are the kiddys back in school????
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-27-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
Yeah man things are good up here. We actually have a hook up elsewhere and haven't been to BV for a while. You should come out next weekend too, cause then I can meet up with you. I'll be in Vegas this weekend. Hit me up sometime soon.

And yes, my wife is also a poser.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
on my boat
antone that gets up and rides for at least 10 yards...is a wakeboarder

I taught my kids, friends kids, and even my highschool buddy who is now blind

....after each went for 10 yards or more.....my crew dubbed them wakeboarders

.....after calling each one a wakeboarder....each of their faces lite up
the smiles were huge

now

you can't tell me that they are posers
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-27-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
Brandon - Tell your Poser of a wife I said hi. :-)
Old     (lfs56)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-27-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
exactly Chris W.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
I guess maybe we should say "I wakeboard" or "I have wakeboarded" rather than call ourselves wakeboarders if we don't want to be posers? Hmmm. Never have given it much thought and I am sure all the people who I have taught to wakeboard over the years could careless if they are posers. All of them had an awesome time and that, along with all the smiles is what it's all about. Proud to be a poseboarder since 1995.
Old     (lfs56)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-27-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
ok, my definition of a "poser" isn't somebody who can't to advanced tricks, it's somebody who can't do those kind've tricks but CLAIMS that they can......and i think that may be what some other people are trying to say
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       09-27-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
I'm a boat whore!
Notice the profile picture, yep no boat!
I'm glad I got that out, I feel better.
Old     (wakeboarder557)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
i hate when people have 12893712983 post and post a thread saying how excited they are they landed w2w finally! Or first 180! That kinda makes me made, stop posting so much and go ride :-)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-27-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
i have the highest number of posts in this forum. i suck. are you "made?"
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-27-2007, 5:52 PM Reply   
Eytan- Many of us have jobs and other responsibilities... so Wakeworld is basically our crack. I have a fair amount of posts as well and I'm not that good of a rider, and ride a nice boat all sacked out!!!! I bet you're fuming right now aren't ya?
Old     (wakeboarder557)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Haha no, its straight man, sorry if i pissed anyone off. MAD* HAPPY JOE?? HAHA jp man
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
And let me guess Eytan, that would not happen to be your fathers SAN 210 in you login would it? I am on here because I am bored at work and enjoy talking with fellow people of the sport
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
Good one Joe
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-27-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
I would never accuse anyone of su@king that makes it possible for me to win a brand new Tsunami Wakesurf Board from CWB Board Co. Thanks again, I am "STOKED"!

(Message edited by rvh3 on September 27, 2007)
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-27-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
The REAL riders are the ones continue to try & get up, try to get W2W, get on the water at sunrise, ride behind any boat, try that hard trick that you know is gonna hurt if you fall.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-27-2007, 10:42 PM Reply   

quote:

I am all for sharing the stoke, but it seems that there are a lot of "soft gloves" used these days in wakeboarding. Its like everything around here is teddy bears and gum drops.

I would say that there hasn't been a statment posted or even muttered that has been that true about wakeboarding in the past 365 days. wow.

P.S. Dead horse, meet wakeworld. Wakeworld, meet dead horse.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-28-2007, 12:04 AM Reply   
I wonder what the post vs. time record is.

Poser- what is that any ways, kinda like guy/gal trying to fit into a scene or something. Why's that bad?

Dis-honesty is bad, fitting in pretty cool, especially if it's wakeboarding.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-28-2007, 12:24 AM Reply   
Which is worse?

A) measuring wakeboarders by their trick list?

B) lying to fellow wakeboarders about your trick list?

Seems we have both going on here.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-28-2007, 12:24 AM Reply   
Isn't a poser someone who does not actually participate at all in the sport or whatever it is that they are claiming they do?

Kook seems more fitting for this particular situation. Come on people, get it right!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-28-2007, 3:20 AM Reply   
Quote: "I am all for sharing the stoke, but it seems that there are a
lot of "soft gloves" used these days in wakeboarding. Its like
everything around here is teddy bears and gum drops."

It is called being to politically correct. Trying to be all things to all people and trying make everyone feel good about a specific subject.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-28-2007, 5:17 AM Reply   
umali - thanks to your post, i'm a "wakeboarder." usually when people ask me if i wakeboard i say, "um ... not really." ha! but i've gotta kind of stick up for D04 here b/c i think what he said can be applied more generally. i just get sick of people who talk big and then can't back it up, whether it be wakeboarding, skiing, working, whatever. nothing wrong with not being good at something as long as you enjoy it (example: me and wakeboarding!), but if you're gunna say you're good, then you should be. but then again, i wouldn't ask anybody about their trick list. i'd just laugh if they're talking about one thing and then they ride and it's obvious they're full of sh*t ... those people are silly. and it makes it that much more fun to watch them fall!

(Message edited by kylielogan on September 28, 2007)
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-28-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Callen, you nailed it on Ski Beach. EVERY WEEKEND the boats keep adding up out there, and the Delta waters still stay buttery. I'm glad all the posers leave the dock, go straight to ski beach, get hammered and talk about how cool their boats are, put a Double Up or Neptune board they bought from Play it again Sports on their racks and act like riders. At least the the water stays flat for those of us that actually ride.
Old     (bludpumper)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
Unless you are being paid to wakeboard we are all in the same class. It's called amateur. I feel sorry for those of you whose identity is so firmly seated in your ability to do a trick a pro can. Yes I own a boat, yes I put over 100 hrs on it this season, and yes I have a blast. That is all that matters. Have a blast and teach others to do the same. My 2 cents.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-28-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
i don't see why you care... let them talk smack, all guys do... i'm trying to learn how to backroll and 360 right now does that make me a poser

but i've tried a raley... so at least i try stuff... haha but i had reasons for trying that
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-28-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
Josh and Brett, I think you guys took this the wrong way. Those guys that are talking crap about people being posers cuz they don't throw spins or inverts are stuipd. What I was talking about, and a few other people in this posting, were those people that buy a brand new 60k wakeboard boat and don't even get in the water to ride. They just get the boat to look cool and go party. Thats the true defintion of a poser. As long as you are strapping the board on and having fun out there with your friends, thats what its all about.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
I love to see the lines drawn in the sand everyday on here.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-28-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
One time I was at a party and this guy would not shut up, found out we were wakeboarders and starts talking about how he does tantrum rolls.
I told him "wow, that sounds pretty hard, you must be really into wakeboarding."

I was going to tell him I was working on dragon rolls and spicy tuna rolls, but he didn't want to shut up long enough to let anybody else talk.

(Message edited by dococ on September 28, 2007)
Old     (wkbrdindmax)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-28-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
Jason, I have to disagree. Anyone who wants to pay 60K of their hard earned cash can ride around in any boat they damn well choose. Hell, I love wakeboard boats. If I woke up tomorrow and, heaven forbid, for some reason couldn't get in the water ever again, you'd still see me out on the lake cruising around in a wakeboard boat.

On a related note, I've been known to make sure the racks were full with boards even when there was only gonna be just a couple of us riding, just because I thought it looked pretty cool when the boat was coming back to me. Does that make me a poser?
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-28-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
I think as long as you are wakeboarding it doesn't matter how good you are, your a wakeboarder. I don't really care if someone brags about being good and they arn't, they can do what they want. Theres a kid in my language arts class who tells me I suck everyday and swears he stomps heelside and toeside 9's behind his Bayliner. Whatever turns him on!!!
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-28-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
i agree robert... lol... seeing boats roll up with the tower loaded with boards is sick looking.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
120 posts, two of them from D04, I wonder if he's even been on this thread more than twice?

I personally could go either way on this one, because by looking at the word poser, you're a poser if you say you've got 7's dialed, and then you fall on one once, BUT, is it then a BAD thing to be a poser? should we kick them out of the wakeboard population just because they missed that handle? I know that since I am posting this I'm not even listening to myself but how many times have you started a thread and fully thought out every possible reaction to what you're saying? I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I'm trevor, I'm a poser, and I enjoy riding at my sub par skill level.

(Message edited by hawk7 on September 28, 2007)
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-28-2007, 11:43 PM Reply   
POSER...How about we ditch this 80's.yes 80's skateboard hate monger talk. Let's put this word with the others that we want to retire. I have not heard anyone in any boat use that word or negative language for that matter when boarding. Everyone is usually stoked for the next guy when he lands a trick for the first time, or encourages him or her. If ever I end up with an arrogant @$$ saying Poser or anything negative...I will throw his @$$ overboard. As for liars...claiming to know everything wakeboarding...when it's their turn and they cant live up to their claim....I am sure they will be humbled with embarassment....if they cop out of riding with the bros and sis's in the boat...SIMPLY DONT INVITE THEM BACK!
Old    sealyon.net            09-29-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
It's all about having FUN Plain and simple.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-29-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
Couldn't agree more w/ Lyon. Thats what its all about. We dont have a "nice boat" to ride behind, we have a Bayliner we souped up w/ a tower and some fat sacs. I've been riding 3 seasons, busted a few boards, can jump toeside and heelside, can get up around 8' feet of air, getting close on a backrolls, lose the handle on all my 3's so far, slide out on 50% of my 180's, beef it on all my tantrum attempts but i still call myself a wakeboarder. At my school, small as it is, thats my niche, thats what i'm known to do. Not because I travel the nation, own a 75,000 dollar boat, or because i land 720's, Tantrum to Blinds, Hoochie's, 313's and Dum Dum's, but because I get new poeple to come out and try the this great sport. I dont have sponsors, i'm not gettin magazine spreads, but i'm proud to call myself a wakeboarder.