Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2009, 3:43 PM Reply   
I have done some searches on this and see that Resin, painting and truck bed liners are all popular choices.

I have never worked with resin and not sure what to expect. How fast does it set up? Any application tips?

I want this to be sealed really well so I plan on doing multiple steps. But not sure what order is best.

I bought a bottle of resin and some Rust-oleum marine primer for wood and fiberglass. Should I prime it first or use the resin first? If I were to do the bedliner what step should it be?

Do I do the inside AND outside of the box (why the inside?)

I plan on carpeting it as well and it is going in a well covered spot, but I would like it as waterproof as I can get it.

Thanks
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-14-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
I prefer resin out of the choices listed. Inside and out is what I would do. It just makes for a durable, sealed, tough sub box. You don't need any primer/sealer. Two or three coats should do. How fast it sets up depends on ambient air temp and how much hardener you use in each batch. Don't over harden to compensate for cool temps. Wait for a warmer day. You have about fifteen to twenty minutes work time, and always wear a resperator when mixing, applying or sanding.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
Sparky is dead on. A pair of latex gloves go a long way. Make sure the work area is well ventilated.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
So, what consistency is the resin? Is it like water? Do I apply it with a brush?

I am not sure if I can get the whole outside and inside of the box done in 15 minutes unless I am just slopping this stuff on.

Should I sand the MDF first to roughen it up a little or is it better to apply it on smooth boards?

If I put some caulk or liquid nails on the seams from the inside do I do this before or after the resin? What works best for this, something like liquid nails or PL200?

I have the box temporarily screwed together to see how it fits and it looks good.

I was thinking I would take it back apart so I could prime all the edges, apply the glue and put it back together and then apply the resin...But you are saying no need for the primer??

The sub (Wetsounds XS 12 ) ought to be here Monday and I can't wait to hear it.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-14-2009, 9:16 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/675739.html?1236313312
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
That stuff looks like it work really well, but I already have the box done....Plus, I probably can't get it around here anyway...

I just need to make the best of what I got.
Old     (jasonwm)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
The consistency of the resin depends on what company made it, how much MEKP is mixed in (which depends on the temperature and humidity) as well as other factors.

You don't have to coat the entire box with one batch though, just mix a small enough batch that you can apply it all before it kicks. If you need more, mix another batch and pick up where you left off. There's no reason to sand the box before applying the resin, just make sure it's clean and go for it. For this job, you can probably get away with some cheap Bondo or Elmers brand resin and hardner from Home Depot, but if you want to make it easy on yourself and envision doing more of these projects down the road pick up some B-440 from US Composites.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-16-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
if you haven't coated it yet, get some epoxy resin instead of poly. poly is fairly worthless by itself. it's brittle and will peel off in large pieces because it sticks to itself better than the wood. epoxy is better for water-proofing.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-16-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
I'll be trying some epoxy paint on my next boxes, we'll see how it works out.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
I have been looking for the epoxy resin - Menards and Home Depots only have the polyester kind. I am going to try some boat dealers this morning.

I got to hurry - Spring is here, Spring is here!! 70 degrees today and 74 tomorrow!!