Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-19-2011, 6:11 PM Reply   
ive been working on these for two years. i just cant get them. finally had some family in the boat this weekend so i got some footage to try to get some help. i did 5 attempts each day.

any tips or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. spending 2 seasons on a 180 seems rediculous and im starting to give up

Cory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONfNc9iJv8
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2011, 7:46 PM Reply   
My advice is stop holding back.... when you half ass a trick it just makes it that much harder.

Start by doing 5-10 -- BS180 inside out... once you have the muscle memory good and down go for the whole wake to wake version...
take your usually approach and make sure you wait to spin (looks like you've got that down)... tug to the back hip, try to pass early and try and get your head around quicker to spot the boat again.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-19-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
wasnt trying to half ass it, just assumed i should start with 1 wake.
your suggesting to finish looking at the boat? like on a 360? from what i had read most said this would cause over rotation.
ive tried some inside out drills. but usually attempted them to blind. not with the pass. trying them with the pass may very well be good practice.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-19-2011, 8:49 PM Reply   
hold the handle to your hips, get the pop, pull the handle under your ass by pushing your chest down and please, do it w2w.
http://sbcwakeboard.com/trick_tips_d...e-Backside-180
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-20-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
crap just remember my TS ollie, and IO are craptistic and pretty much non existant (i was thinking HS for some reason) so any tips for the w2w? where should i be looking when i land? back? boat? 90 degrees towards shore line?
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-20-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
another option if your not ready to go all out w2w is to pull the rope in 5-10 feet to make it easier to clear. Honestly, I haven't found that looking anywhere specific makes a huge difference on this trick, except dont look straight behind you. Unlike a hs back 1 where the challenge comes from the landing more than the spin (imo), ts back ones are impossible to spin but pretty easy to ride away from. All the tips on here about waitng, pulling, passing the handle low, etc are right on. It just comes down to holding onto the handle and riding it out.

In you video, it doesn't look like your slipping out (although maybe slightly backfoot heavy), you just need to bear grip the handle and ride away. It looks like you give up to early, almost as soon as your board touches down. One of my friends always jokes that the boat/wake/board isn't going to hand you the trick, you have to take it. Kinda silly but it makes sense.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-20-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
thanks yeah i guess a shorter rope is an option too.
seems like im leaning too far against the rope/away from teh boat on all of them. ie the board always goes out the front. how do i get ride of that?
and my front hand, should i push it down? or behind me to my butt? and my rear hand, when i let go should it go straight to the small of my back, or up first then butt to help stay on axis?

many thanks everyone for the tips. i know theres one clue out there that will make it click. sometimes its the smallest thing seen in writing that pulls it all together. ive just got to find that golden key.

keep the suggestions coming. many thanks!
Cory
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-20-2011, 3:21 PM Reply   
Honestly you would have rode away from 6 or 7 of those attempts had you gone w2w
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-20-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
On this trick all I think about on my approach is pulling the handle to my rear hand. Just think pop, pull, pass. Once you get the handle in your rear hand the trick pretty much does itself. And like said above, just take it wake to wake. You would have landed some of those if you did.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-20-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
your suggesting to finish looking at the boat? like on a 360? from what i had read most said this would cause over rotation.
You'll have to do what works best for you ... I personally (whens pinning blind) draw a line from the " V " of the wake I will be landing on to where it would meet the horizon if it continued forever... I find something there on the horizon and that is where I try to spot (behind me)... a few of my buddies have better luck trying to get around and find the top of the tower.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-21-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
Its not a problem to be leaning against the rope like that, in fact it is the proper way to land edging away from the wake on your heal edge.

I really think you are overthinking your tak-off. From the video, you have good form and you wait to pull the handle after your pop. You could try passing it lower under your butt. This might solve your problem of leaning too far back as well. If you are smaller and more compact (passing below your butt) then you have a lower center of gravity and will be more comfortable in the air. This could lead to you being more comfortable with the feeling of TS BS and will allow you to have your weight centered on the landing rather than leaning back for fear of going over the front.

But like i said, your form looks good, just go for! Good luck!
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-22-2011, 10:38 AM Reply   
Everyones got there own style.. you seem to have it. Just need more time in the air and wake to wake.. all my friends pass them behind the back... I like to pass under the butt and go to the flats, passing under the butt helps me lean away when I have all that speed and tension built up.
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-23-2011, 9:24 PM Reply   
Anytime you land on a HS edge you should be looking at the boat/tower. Its clear in the video that you are looking away like you would if you were landing blind TS at the end of a HS 180. And if you aren't ready to go wake-to-wake with it yet then the best thing you could do is drop the rope out another 10-15 feet, maybe slow the boat down a couple MPH and do it one wake. After that is comfortable then pull the rope in 5-10 feet shorter than you usually ride and take it wake-to-wake. Like the others, I think if you would have taken some of those wake-to-wake, spotted your landing(looked at the boat), or just manned up and gorilla gripped out the landing you would have had half of those in the video. Good luck, and don't forget, it is just a 180.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-23-2011, 9:53 PM Reply   
I just landed this trick for the second time today and it felt so good. I did it wrapped and made sure to charge the wake. May be worth giving it a try wrapped first to get the feel of the trick.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-23-2011, 11:29 PM Reply   
its been said above but ill say it again. take it w2w. also as stated above, pop...........................keep waiting.................. pull handle to back hand and once you pass the trick will come around on its own. you need to stay strong through the rotation and look for the levy, sorry delta term look for the shore or slightly back if you look at the boat you will and i quote you will have what we call a delta left hook coming right at you.

imo opinion steps of progression should be,
1. solid and i mean solid and confident ts wake to wake. by this you should be confident in all aspects of a ts w2w.
2. a very strong and consistent hs bs1.
3. ts fs 1's should be solid also, total differnt trick i know but the feel of spinning on that side of the wake is key.
4. when your ready, 4-5 solid super poppy ts straight airs in row and each time you do it pull that handle to your back hand with no attempt to spin and continue to land the straight air w2w. on the last attempt literally put that handle in your back hand like its your wallet but then release and continue with the straight air. now its time to rock, without thinking about do it again this time make the pass look to levy or out the back and.......boom goes the dynamite!!!!!!!!!
Old     (ridin_sidways)      Join Date: May 2006       09-27-2011, 2:48 PM Reply   
The first thing to do is get the handle behind your back and into your right hand. In your video your left hand is passing the handle back while your right hand is in front of you, possibly aiding your rotation. Before you even initiate the spin work on getting that handle into your other hand. After that the trick lands itself (sorta).