Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-12-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
I didn't here much about the outlaw riders this year at nationals. How were the top 3 guys. Usually there up there but I didn't know if the Pro division may have taken a lot of the top otherwise outlaw.
Old     (dustin140)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-12-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
My really good friend won. Ryan Burns from South Carolina, he did a bunch of off-axis spins, a long with a crow mobe and a whirly.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-12-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
my best friend stephen pierce got 2nd place in outlaw. he has enough good tricks to get 1st place in pro. its kinda hard to throw all your tricks at nationals since the wakes are small
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-12-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
1st place in pro? That might be a reach Taylor
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-12-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
can you say sandbag?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-12-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
Maybe taking first place in outlaw would be a more reasonable expectation!
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-12-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
i judged in the outlaw class for the style and was really dissapointed. there were a lot of kids not even doing any 5's or not really even mobes now that i think of it. i would say that 1/4 of the kids should of been in the expert class. this one kid rode a 65 foot line. when i heard him say that i was in shock. o and a big lack of rayley based tricks. sorry if it was harsh but its the truth. all the judges in the boat felt the same way.
Old     (lknevan)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-12-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
naw stephen shoulda had that first place.. the dude who took it, nobody even saw run... and stephen isnt in pro because he wasnt completly consistant in comp, but he is a beast... and the runs were phenominally short as well
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-12-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
yah its not a stretch. he just isnt consistant on his mobes and handle pass inverts. he can spin like crazy
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-12-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
Talyor "he's not consistent on his Mobes and handle pass inverts" and you say he would win the pro men's division with guys that ARE consistant with those tricks!! look at the scores and do the math, take away the style points and he's still a couple thousands point short of winning pro men. Not saying he is not a good rider, but you are disrespecting the pro riders with your statement. Steven posted a pro score and could have rode with the big boys, but chose to ride down a class.
Old     (dustin140)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-12-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
nobody saw ryan's run because it was the last run on the last day of competition. everybody left and we were the only people there to watch him.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-12-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
I'm going to have to go with Randy here. I'm best friends with the 3rd place winner of the Pro division, and let me tell you, they were all a little off. Andrew, Clay, and Alex throw down, period. If you want to hang with them, you need to have your mobes consistent, and lots of them.

And if he could have taken first place in pro, why didn't he try to...? I alway's ride a division up to challenge myself, and don't see why other's wouldn't do the same if they can...
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-12-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
I don't understand why Stephen Pierce was allowed to ride Outlaw. He posted a Pro score in the top 12. I thought that INT rules were that if you got invited in Pro, you couldn't bump down to Outlaw.

My son was the 13th qualifier in pro. He was allowed to ride Pro, so he did. It was an honor for him to ride Pro, and he took seventh. Not too bad for a 15 year old. He would have won Outlaw by over 1500 points, but it would have been a hollow victory, because he would rather measure himself against the big boys. Sandbaggers should man up!
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-12-2008, 11:42 PM Reply   
If anybody competing at that event could beat Alex I would be impressed. Considering Alex's run was an easy one for him.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-13-2008, 4:10 AM Reply   
I am a little confused. So, how did the outlaw riders stack up to riders of the past before there was a pro division. The reason for my question is it seems most of riders in the pro division would normally have been in outlaw in days past. There were some really top notch riders in pro but these are not the pro men riders on tour. Meaning I did not see any top 40 men riders. I know the three guys who were on the podium can kill it and ride jr men pro tour but in days past they would have rode in outlaw since there was no pro. So the question is this- is the INT pro division really the outlaw division of 3 years ago?

By the way- don't be jumping on any these guys who aren't pro. They are not the ones posting about their run. They are not pros but just kids riding in INT which is FOR FUN. When you start insulting amateur riders and kids it does not reflect well on you.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-13-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
Lighten up Roger!

What are you, writing a book on this stuff or what?
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-13-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
We did not go, but I just want to say great job Alex! Great rider, Great kid, and Great family, Alex is a top notch rider.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-13-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
Wow. Parents are all about some INT.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-13-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
I can see the bumper stickers now... "My kids Whirly 5 is better than yours!"
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-13-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
"I'm The Proud Parent Of An INT Pro Rider"

They should make little wakeboard magnets to go on the side of minivans, too.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-13-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
"Lighten up Roger!

What are you, writing a book on this stuff or what?"

??? What? I just asked a question. Oh its 530am when you responded. I hate that when I get home after drinking all night and write a dumb response. I suggest sobering up before going on a public site.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-13-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
INT Rider = Pageant Kid

INT Parent = Pageant Mom

I was planning on doing INT but couldn't decide whether to enter the Super Modified Intermediate Amature Class or the Middle Super Modified Advanced Beginner Class.

The point system is LAME.

(Flame away INTers)
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-13-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Peter, if Stephen won outlaw in his state and also posted a pro score it would be his choice to which division he rides. However, he can not ride both at INT USC.

Luker: You apparently have never been to an INT comp. They are very fun and challenging for each division.

INT riders and parents are no different than any other tournament. And trust me I have been to many. Everyone is out to have a good time and support their kids. It is the bad seeds out there that B&*th about the scoring and always think their kid is the best and deserve to win.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-13-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
i see a lot of comments from wakebrdmoms and wakebrddads but not a lot from wakebrdrs.

(Message edited by anthemwake on November 13, 2008)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-13-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
INT Rider = an amateur rider getting into the sport of wakeboarding at some level (which is why they have different ability levels), spending money on the sport and supporting sponsors, thus growing the sport as well as their involvement and abilities. Support such as this allows for sponsors to send and support riders and their friends going to little creeks and rivers hitting old docks and taking pictures of it. They also are probably into those pictures, and support those sponsors even more. Even though some people find that kind of stuff LAME...... It's all a part of wakeboarding.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-13-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
Most of the time:

LAME = PROFIT

I understand the concept that the "masses" of our sport (weekend wallys and INTers) produce the majority of the revenues for boat and board manufacturers (a necessary evil if you will). I'm all for it because it allows them to invest in R&D and produce quality products for the dedicated few.

I generalized my statement about INTers and i regret that a little, but my guess is that if you are a regular poster on WW you are not a typical Wally or typical INTer. Most of you can atleast agree with the fact that a large portion of "that" crowd is extraordinarily lame.

To each his own, just an observation.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-13-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Nice little jab there A-dub about the rivers and old docks ;)
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-13-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
"my best friend stephen pierce got 2nd place in outlaw. he has enough good tricks to get 1st place in pro. its kinda hard to throw all your tricks at nationals since the wakes are small"

Why would someone hold an event where the wake is small in outlaw class? Plus a good rider only blames himself for not throwing enough tricks at an event not the wake.
Old     (lknevan)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-13-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
pretty much every rider that rode at that championships complained of that wake... the tige was the worst wake i had ever seen at a INT
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-13-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
Evan, not sure what division you rode in and maybe they had the Tige weighted different for your class, but the pro riders thought it was the best wake of all the boats there. Crow 5, skezzer, backside 5, dum dum, slim chance were just a few if the tricks landed behind that boat.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-13-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
Luker, you can't just hate on profit in general.

I enjoy the INT's, WWA's, DRA's all the same, while there are small differences in all of them, to me it's just another chance to ride. You can hate on the people that take it too seriously, but don't hate an entire crowd of people that love doing what you like to do: wakeboarding.

Alex is a solid rider, and one of the most important parts of winning these comps is consistancy, alex is consistant, he has the tricks, [and he kinda reminds me of Paulie Shore haha]

Though the wake may have been small, everyone rode behind the same boat, I'd consider that fair but that's just me, I did very poorly but thats just motivation to do better, it was embarrasing to do so poorly, but I'm not going to complain about the wake.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Well I'll complain about the wakes a little bit. I rode at the Championships and I'll say that the Tige had the best wake of the bunch. I really think that they should add more weight in the boats that are used in the upper divisions. No one that actually rides at that level just uses stock weight.....no one. Just like any WWA event, I think they need to load'em up. Fix the weight problem and the expense problem and INT would be much better...IMO.

Randy-- you guys getting flooded out? Hope all is well brotha!

Taylor-- if your friend could have played with the big boys and didn't, then he is a cowardly sandbagger.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-13-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
wow. i didnt know this post would end up like this. im not going to argue over wakeworld. and i have no friend that is a cowardly sandbagger
Old     (wakerider803)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-13-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
I'm Ryan Burns the winner of the Outlaw Division and here is what i threw: hs off 3, ts off 5, hs off 5, switch hs indy blind 180, whirlybird, second pass, crow mobe, hs bs 3, halfcab roll, roll to revert, and a scarecrow.
Old     (wakerider803)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-13-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
by the way the pro rider's freaking shredded their faces off!!! they were sick this year
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-13-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
if someone has the skills to rode at a higher level, and chooses not to for purposes of winning, that is the definition of sandbagging.
I have been to a couple of the socal INT events, and did not see any of the "soccer mom" type mentality that was mentioned here. everyone seemed to be having a good time, and encouraging everyone to ride well.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
Not trying to start anything, I'm just saying that since he posted a Pro score he should have been in the Pro division instead of dropping down so he could have a "better" chance to win.

I'm with ttrigo, everyone always has a good time and its a lot of fun. By the way, you coming up this weekend? If so, we'll see you out there.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-13-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
Brandon I hear big weekend at Chucks coming up, wish we were closer. Do work, I want to see that T to B money by Wake Games. Late...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-13-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
Ryan Burns, those are a couple sweet passes, congrats on your win.
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       11-13-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
Randy.....How the He!! are ya. A balmy 75 here today.
Old     (wakerider803)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-13-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
Thanks. I was pretty pumped on it!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-13-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
Luker, our INT in Arkansas is nothing like what you have described.

When I started off in the INT, I was just in this for gets and shiggles, but it made me become a better rider because it brought out my inner competitor. I went from getting last in my division in Wakeskate, to getting First in Open Skate at Nationals and having Pro Aspirations.

My parents are not soccer parent's, heck, they couldn't even tell you the difference between a Backside Bigspin and a Varial Flip, and wether I win or lose, they only care about how I thought my run went. They don't run up to judges asking what I did right or wrong, or protest my runs. They just sit there and support me. That's perfect in my opinion.

Riding INT gave me everything I have as far as skill, Sponsors, friends, and respect for the sport. I have been to everything from local events to rail jam's with some of the best in the business, and still, nothing comes close to the INT.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-14-2008, 4:05 AM Reply   
Caleb- well put. Ryan- congrats. I hear you may be taking it up a notch in FL. Good luck. Of course ALex we know can shred and congrats to him. It is funny how a blog can bring out the worst in people. You just have to ignore it. They probably don't mean exactly what they are saying. So to all of you who ride in INT and spent the time and money to go to nationals I say good job. It is definitely a life event and experience and beats the heck out of being on the computer flaming people on blogs.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-14-2008, 5:48 AM Reply   
^^^^^ what Caleb and David said^^^^^^

Local INT events give motivation for young riders to improve on their skills. Sure there are a lot of beginner riders, but that is half the fun. The INT US Championships are incredible events, first class all the way! Luker, do you think the scoring system is "lame" because you competed in an INT event and got it handed to you, or do you just like to flame on things that you know nothing about?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-14-2008, 6:16 AM Reply   
Not at all, I've never competed in an INT event and I wouldn't be able to hold a candle to any outlaw or pro riders. I'm not saying many of these kids don't shred their faces off. I'm just saying the layout of the point system is stupid, and having 29 different classes just so every kid can carry home a trophy is retarded.

Having 4 or 5 divisions and subjective scoring is the way to make kids want to progress in substance and style, not handing them a trophy for finding the right division to compete in. Do you not agree that one kids 5 can look considerably better than another kids? Should they both get the same points even though one of the tricks was lame? Where did I ever get that idea, oh wait, PWT does it like that huh?

You don't have to have competed in something to dislike it or its format. I have beef with the BCS and think college football should go to an 8 team playoff system instead, and I've never played a down of college football in my life.... does it make me wrong for criticizing?
Old    gotwake123            11-14-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
Hi this is Stephen Pierce and I have just read everyones posts and I wasn't even going to post but it really made me mad that people are going to call me a sandbagger when they don't even know me or have not even seen me ride.this was a very big dicition when the end of the INT season came around wether to compete in outlaw or to go in pro. I know that I posted a very high pro score but that was one of the most amazing runs that I have ever done in comp. If you where at INT nationals and watched me ride you would have known that I definatly was not sandbagging. This year I did the pro class as an extra and it surprised me the day I posted that score. If I was sandbagging then I would have gotten first. After watching Randy and some of the other pro riders I was very glad that I didn't enter pro because I would have gotten wooped. Honestly I think that I was in the right place.

You can go on youtube.com and look up Stephen Pierce int nationals 2008 and I have posted both of my runs. Then tell me if I am sandbagging.

-Stephen Pierce
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-14-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
I agree that it may not be perfect, but I do not think the perfect scoring system can ever be accomplished. INT does take into consideration style (they have 3 style judges in the boat) one styles on amplitude, one does technical, and one does variation). I don't know if those are the correct terms, but its something like that. This is the first year that they did it this way. It shows that they are trying to improve their scoring system.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-14-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
In principle, the INT is a great idea; a place where novice riders (which is what that "N" stands for) can hang out and ride and do their thing and have fun. It's a great way to meet people and it's a great way to spend time with your family and friends. I don't thing that anybody in the world could could argue that there is anything wrong with that. The problems arise when you start looking at some of the higher divisions. Now before everyone starts bagging on what I'm saying, realize that I'm saying this after riding in a few of the events (albeit several years ago) and spending time with a lot of people who ride in the events. There are two big problems that I see with the INT:

1. The judging system; each trick has a predetermined point value. I honestly find this a ludicrous idea and an easy way around trying to find competent judges who know what they're doing. I understand that it makes a bit more sense for the lower divisions where kids are riding around waving at judges and touching the water, but once you move up the ranks, it makes no sense whatsoever. For example, a Roll to Blind is worth 1650 points, but a HS Back Roll to Blind is worth 1400. Could they mean a Tootsie Roll when they say "Roll to Blind?" Nope, that's worth 1450. And get this: a TS Back Roll to Blind is worth 1400 points in one place on the list and 1550 in another. They also have a point value for an "Air Front Flip Mobius." Huh?? I could go on, but I don't think I need to.

2. The idea of a "Pro" division at all. It's the International NOVICE Tour, right? Why bother having a pro division? It's like I said earlier, the INT a great thing in principle; families hanging out, meeting people, kids having a good time. That's great, but once you add the word "pro," all that goes right out the window and you get kids that are trying to be the next Rusty and along with them you get the soccer parents who double as sports agents and along with them you get the "My kid's the best" or My kid got screwed" attitudes. And God bless them, I know the majority of them mean well and just want what's best for their kids, but come on. The bottom line is, a pro division oftentimes turns into something that contradicts the entire mission statement of the INT. I kind of look at it like when the AWSA decided "Hey, we know that there's already a US national championship and a world championship, but we want to do it our way." Thus, you have "fake" nationals and "fake" worlds. My point is, this kind of thing already exists on a much more legitimate level. If you're a pro level rider, there's a whole other tour for you, complete with its own set of drama and attitudes. If you're not at that level yet, the word Pro might be "a bit of a stretch," as somebody put it earlier on. The phrase "big fish in a small pond" comes to mind, except you could probably change it to "big fish in a small pond that has outrageous point values for tricks and questionable judging procedures."

My arms hurt from typing so much.

Edit - I just saw that post above me about the new scoring system, which I was unaware of. So they got that going for them. Which is nice.

(Message edited by anthemwake on November 14, 2008)
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-14-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
First of all INT does not have 29 different wakeboard divisions. INT has the following divisions: Mini Outlaw, Jr Entro, Womens Entro and Mens Entro-All beginners. Jr Novice, Womens Novice, Mens Novice and Veterans-Just above beginning. Jr Intermediate, Womens Intermediate, Mens Intermediate, Masters. Advanced, Expert, Outlaw and Pro.

The reason for each of these divisions is to allow you to compete against others in your age and ability. How would your child,that is just starting to get a little air, feel against competing against mine (11 years old) who has 5 inverts? Not very good. INT rules make him ride with teens and adults. Competing with others of your ability is still very challenging, while trying to get to the next level, and not humiliating you. It has been fun for our kids and their friends to push each other to the next level.

As for the scoring system, even the pro tour has changed their views and went to the DRIVE system. By the way, INT does have provisions for tricks that are performed better or worse than others with deductions and additions to the trick point value.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-14-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
"First of all INT does not have 29 different wakeboard divisions. INT has the following divisions: Mini Outlaw, Jr Entro, Womens Entro and Mens Entro-All beginners. Jr Novice, Womens Novice, Mens Novice and Veterans-Just above beginning. Jr Intermediate, Womens Intermediate, Mens Intermediate, Masters. Advanced, Expert, Outlaw and Pro."

Okay, so instead of just being organized based on age or ability, it's based on both? I guess I just don't see the difference between a 5 year old who can barely jump the wake and a 30 year old who can barely jump the wake.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-14-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
If my child was "getting a little air" he shouldn't be winning any trophy. He should be loosing to kids better than him so he has a drive to get better. Nothing produces more incentive to improve than loosing. This whole touchy feely society we live in is crippling our kids instead of making them stronger. Not everyone should win, not everyone should make the team, and not everyone should get a prize just for competing.

The reason for all the divisions is so moms like you don't get all in a tissy when their kid doesn't get a trophy.

You are only strengthening my point by being a mom posting on WW to argue with me.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-14-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
Some thoughts:

1) It is very easy to sit back and take pot shots at INT or any other organization. What is more difficult is to be constructive. If there is something you don't like, get involved and work to change things.

2) INT has a well defined judging system. Maybe the point values aren't perfect, but EVERYBODY knows what the rules are and what points they will get for doing certain tricks. If that high point trick is so darn easy, and your favorite trick is hard, but doesn't get enough points, work the system and put the high point tricks in your run. I don't think anybody at US Championships this year can honestly say that the results came out wrong. The people that rode the best actually won. The scoring system worked. As a side note, INT has worked on and continues to work on the style judging. It is improving every year, and like I said, I think they got the results right at the US Championships.

3) As far as a point system being a substitute for getting competent judges- that's a ridiculous statement. The pro tour uses essentially professional judges, and overall, they do a very good job. They have the judging talent that allows them to use a more subjective system.
I have been to many grassroots tournaments where subjective judging has been used. I can remember so many occasions where the results are announced and people on the sidelines are wondering what the heck just happened here.
Using a point system still requires a level of competence in the judging, but you can get by with a few very qualified judges. In a grassroots tournament, you will typically have some of your best judges riding in the higher divisions. If you use a subjective system, you may have people who are not sure what they're looking at judging your best riders. In a point system you NEED at least one highly qualified call judge. I believe that the pro tour uses seven judges all of whom are very qualified. The judging talent is simply not available at the grassroots level.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-14-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
Another thought:

The reason for all of the divisions in INT and other grassroots leagues is to encourage participation. In order for these tournaments to be financially feasible, a certain number of riders is essential. With enough divisions, most people can compete in a division where they can be challenged, but still be at least somewhat competitive. Fewer divisions = fewer riders.
Those of you who think that these tournament organizers are in it for the profit are quite frankly crazy. There ain't no money in running grassroots wakeboard tournaments.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-14-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
Lurker,

That mom that is posting on here knows more about wakeboarding, calling the tricks and driving a boat that you will ever know. You know why I know that, because she travels all over the USA supporting this sport and drives a wakeboard boat over 400 hours a year, pulling many top level pro riders. Your lame ass remarks are very funny to me. "knowledge is power" obviously you are a weakling.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-14-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
Peter...

1) It is easy to take pot shots at people and organizations. Isn't that what the internet's all about?

2) You shouldn't have to "work the system" to get noticed or do well in contests.

3) "The Judging talent is simply not available at the grassroots level" Yeah, Pete, I know. That's exactly my point. If it comes down to divisions that require that kind of judging talent, shouldn't you leave that to the arenas that are able to handle it? Rather than try to half a** it, why not leave the "pros" alone and focus more on the kids and the beginner riders that are genuinely out there to have a good time and hang with their friends? Isn't that what it's all about?
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-14-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
A couple of good Teddy Roosevelt quotes:

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that, in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things.

Thanks to INT people for being the first and remember anyone can be a critic.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
"I guess I just don't see the difference between a 5 year old who can barely jump the wake and a 30 year old who can barely jump the wake."

Seriously? You can't see a difference? Or a need to separate the two? Why would adults and children ever be in the same division in any sport? Why is this even an issue with those of you opposing it? You're not bringing up valid points other than you think it's lame and that life it tuff.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Some people find competing straight fun anthem, they don't do it for the exposure, sponsors, yada yada where you have to "work the system". This evaluation of what should and shouldn't be in wakeboarding is lame. Seems to be people are just afraid of losing power or offended others can be successful.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
why not let there be another avenue to the "Pros"? If you want to criticize something, criticize the country club that the PWT is.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-14-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Here's a quote for you:

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken." - Col. Sanders

If you guys don't get it by now, you never will. Have fun.

(Message edited by anthemwake on November 14, 2008)
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-14-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
A-dub-- I have to say that in some divisions in the INT, you WILL get adults riding with kids. Take me for example, I'll be 32 next month and I was riding with kids that were half my age.

It's all about fun. There will always be certain parts of any contest that can be contested; whether is the point system, to the judging, etc. Someone will always have issues, hell, I still have some issues on how things are done, however, I still have a great time and enjoy myself.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-14-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
Anthem- good point. From now on we won't have any Outlaw division or any prize money at our grassroots tournaments. Heck- those guys should be hitting the pro tour. NOT

Seriously, at a grassroots tournament, there is usually money and/or prizes on the line for the highest division. We owe every rider the best and fairest judging we can provide. Even in the lower divisions where only medals, ribbons or trophies are on the line, we still owe every rider the best and fairest judging we can provide. IMO, that is best done with a point system.

BTW if you take out the upper divisions and "focus more on the kids and the beginner riders that are genuinely out there to have a good time and hang with their friends," the upper division riders won't show up, and then you don't even have judging talent to judge the lower divisions. Besides which, people come out to see the best local wakeboarding available. If that means watching a few local "pros" go at it, I think most people enjoy that. I know in NorCal, the local riders in Outlaw/Pro put on a pretty good show. Suggesting that they should not be a part of grassroots wakeboarding doesn't make much sense to me.}

(Message edited by deltawake on November 14, 2008)
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-14-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
Riders are genuinely out there to have a good time and hang with their friends, Everybody always says that, I got news for you, you pay a membership fee, and then a comp. fee. Then you compete just for the fun of it? Wrong, you compete to win. INT is good for Novice thru Outlaw, if you're a self proclaimed Pro, then go ride with Pro's at the big events. The only reason they brought Pro's onto the INT scene was because it was dying, and they figured how better to bring in more riders($$).
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-14-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
I would like to thank all the people who put many hours of hard work into making these events happen. And I am sorry they have to defend themselves to azz clowns on the internet.

Thank You for all the effort you put forth.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-14-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
"The only reason they brought Pro's onto the INT scene was because it was dying, and they figured how better to bring in more riders($$)." Such a false statement, love to hear where you get your information.

INT brought the pro divisions in to give the up and coming pro's another avenue to ride. By the way, at local INT's the top 3 pro riders get 75% of their entry fees back. The rest goes to gas, insurance, etc. Not everyone can travel to all the pro level stops, it is very expensive. It also gives them more practice riding comps.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-14-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
damn poser. you are getting old!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-14-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
Chuck P - you are obviously someones dad. Yet again, legitimizing my comments.

And I wonder if the "P" in your name stands for Payton since your favorite riders are 3 Payton kids and you were so quick to defend Mrs. Payton.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Parents who post on WW and buy their 10 year old who can jump W2W heelside a $70K boat are hilarious. You are filling the stereotype that I laid out in my first post by engaging in this discussion. Support your kids but don't be pageant parents. I made some comments and criticisms about a contest and it's format and all the parents come out of the woodwork to say I'm lacking in knowledge, a fool, and an a$$ clown. You guys are great.

Roger - did you really just quote Roosevelt to get the point across that I'm a fool? LMAO

Anthemwake: "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken." - Col. Sanders
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-14-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
Anthem is right... if you don't get what I'm saying by now you probably never will.

-Seacrest Out.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-14-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
Luker, Chuck is the man that is over all of the Wakeboarding Judges including myself at INT Nationals every year. This man is an organizational mastermind who I have much respect for, and can say from experience is not only far from a pageant parent, but one of the most supportive people you will meet in the sport. He root's for everyone to do their best, and though he has a soft spot for his California riders, he is behind everyone and constantly pushing them to do their best.

Most people in this thread are not promoting their children, they are simply defending something they love, the INT, because of what it has given to them and their families. I know personally that I feel insulted by people who come onto this site and bash what gave me everything from my best friend to what feels like my purpose in life.

The Pro Division is an excellent idea. My best friend has 3 brothers and sisters, and very busy parents. He also has several Mobes and a 7 that he cannot take to Pro Tour stops because of his family's busy schedule. The INT gives him the chance to ride as a Pro, without having to live the pro lifestyle which isn't possible for a 17 year old living in Arkansas who is trying to finish high school.

Don't slam something until you have listened to every side.
Old    gotwake123            11-14-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
Luker - Chuck p is Chuck Peyton and he is a INT state coordinator so he obviosly knows what he is talking about.
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-14-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
this was my first year competing and all i heard most of the time was people complaining like this over who should be in what class and who is better. My first comp was the DRA at Orwoods and i had no idea what class to be in. Stacy told me i could ride in either advanced or expert. i chose to do what felt right and entered expert even after 3 parents told me to ride in advanced to win. not knowing if i would be s*** on or do well, i did ok finishing 3rd overall after all the stops but sandbagging was not an option. some parents were telling me that these competitions were favored for certain riders like the Paytons and the Twelkers and the Hoffmans etc. but WHO CARES! go out and ride your damn wakeboard and have fun and try your best to keep up with them and make a name for yourself! god. Linda and Stacy along with Chuck and Gary do their best to make all these stops possible for kids to have fun and enjoy themselves like everyone else. cut em a break and leave them be. as for the riders on here, quit talkin noise and wakeboard. if you spend more time on wakeworld than you do in the water, you arent as good as you sound.
and for you people about to bag on my post, f*** you. you have no life. go get one.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-14-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
"By the way, at local INT's the top 3 pro riders get 75% of their entry fees back." and I would add that the coordinators, Chuck and Linda Payton put in an additional $500 out of their own pockets to sweeten the pot at each tournament. I guess they're really in it for the money.

Luker- you're the one that picked the fight, and you've done a good job of showing your true colors.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-14-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
And my true colors are what?

All i see is that my comments have been vindicated by overly involved parents who jump on WW to name call against someone who has a negative comment about an event their precious child competes in.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
Nobody gets what either of you two are saying because you have no idea what you are talking about... You both are not knowledgeable about the INT at all. And then you try and say that people just won't get it. Get what? Of course we don't get it because you don't even know what you're saying. I mean look, Anthem punked out after the you just don't get it comment... it's like a child saying just because..... I would get what you're saying and listen (read) with open ears, but neither of you really make sense.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-14-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
What exactly is an overly involved parent?? If interested, caring, and yes, involved parents didn't put on these events there would be no grassroots wakeboarding.
Luker- when was the last time you took a few days off work at your own expense to set up and run a tournament? When was the last time you put your own money into a tournament, because the entry fees don't begin to cover the costs? When have you ever spent countless hours trying to line up sponsors and all of the other hundreds of logistical details that go into a tournament? Those of us who do all of these things do it for our kids for sure. But we also do it for the terrific friends we have made in the wakeboard community; we do it to advance the industry; we do it because we enjoy providing a great time for a bunch of people, most of whom, unlike you, appreciate our efforts.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-14-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
The last time I took a day off of work to help run a contest was August 15th and 16th for the last stop of the No Worries Tour (WWA)... Where we had subjective judging and no b*tching parents about points and classes because we let the riders basically run the thing instead of over-involved parents that have only their own kid's interest in mind. Red Bull who supported the first 2 stops and all 3 stops last year bailed on us last minute and we had to make a bunch of calls to get a sponsor with Monster finally coming through.

Your exactly right though, I don't have a clue what it takes.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-14-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
"Your exactly right though, I don't have a clue what it takes."

And you need grammar lessons too!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-14-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
LMAO... Thanks dad!
Old    gotwake123            11-14-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
thanks for telling all of us about your contest luker
Old     (dmc_napa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-14-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
Wow - where have I been this week? Obviously not on Wakeworld... This blog is amazing.

I am the first to admit I am a wakeboard mom and I am married to a wakeboard dad - yes we have children who wakeboard. I am also married to a wakeboarder - so what. Do my kids compete for a 99 cent medal? No. My kids have gotten much more out of this sport than some people who have posted on this thread will ever understand.

We have met tremendous friends all over the country. We have built self-confidence in our girls to do something that is traditionally a "boys" sport. We even moved recently for our kids to have more water time and be more successful at this sport.

We loved competing in INT, WWA and DRA this past year. We have made many great memories for our children. As they grow up, they know it is not about winning but how they play the game.