Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-08-2005, 7:36 PM Reply   
Just wanted to know how some of you guys weight your VLX. Right now ive got about 700 in the front including stock mid mls filled and rear tanks filled with a 350 in each locker in the back and I dont use the wedge because it eats gas and the wake is a lot cleaner without it.
Old     (grimlock)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2005, 8:58 PM Reply   
We throw 900 in the front with all the MLS filled 500 mid/front and 400 rear, we also put a 350 infront of the rear seats, and we use the wedge, this gives you a great wake and we've had no problems with keeping the wake clean, and I haven't noticed to much of a difference in gas usage with the wedge up of down. Plus we useually have about 4 people in the boat. I have an 04 if your wondering.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-08-2005, 10:14 PM Reply   
Alex - sounds like your weight distribution is mostly in the back. Putting the wedge down would, theoretically, act like putting more weight in the back. With all that weight in the rear of the boat, that's probably why the wake isn't as clean as you would like.

I don't have a boat, but here's my opinion: Balance your weight about 50% front 50% rear and then drop the wedge, and see what happens.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-09-2005, 5:11 AM Reply   
05 VLX - The stock ballast and wedge seems to be all we need. Add a few people and it just get's huge.
Old     (grimlock)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-09-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
Thane's got the idea right, we try to even out the boat with our weight first, maybe a little nose heavy, and then we put down the wedge which adds about 900lbs of down force. This gives us roughly a 40% front 60% rear balance. It makes the wake solid, no washing, great ramp and kick at the top, and puts the wake about knee height, and the boat gets on plan fast, even at the 5000-6000 feet we ride at, and is amazing in Powell at about 2000 feet elevation.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-09-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
Yeah with the 05, we pretty much stock ballast it & Wedge. I prefer it with a 500 in the nose to take a little edge off the lip. The wake is so great. I wish I could ride it all the time.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-09-2005, 12:54 PM Reply   
I agree with the others. Stock ballast + the wedge. I run with an additional 150# in the walkway if we only hav 3 people on board. I think the others are including the 350# optional tank in the front when they refer to "stock" ballast.
Old     (oldschoolripper)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-10-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
Word up Alex, I like the wake best with the wedge down behind tidwell's boat. You or zack should call him and find out how he weights his down, the wake is sick huge.

Call me and i'll get you his number.

shelby