Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (blaize)      Join Date: May 2000       06-26-2003, 2:00 AM Reply   
I was sticking about half of my backroll attempts last season, but now I always slip out and fall back on the landings. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Here's the video:
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=7680
Old                06-26-2003, 5:45 AM Reply   
Mike, I'm working on these too... Sounds like you're a bit ahead of me with the 50% you landed last season. Only suggestion I can think of is that sliding out is sometimes caused by opening up a bit too much on the landing (board too sideways) almost like a HS backroll to revert. I'd say maybe try releasing your rear hand just before the landing to help you stick it.

If you're already letting go sorry...I tried your video twice but only got the first 2-3 seconds in before my PC crashed both times. You may want to repost...
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
It looks like you need to pull the handle in closer to your body and hold it there. On the take off you are pushing the board away from the boat which is not necessarily bad, but it forces the handle out. So, pulling the handle just may be all you need to get the board under you.
Old                06-30-2003, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quick question on backrolls... when the board releases from the wake shooting over your head, is it supposed to be releasing a bit behind you? Or is it releasing upwards in line with your direction as you leave the wake (almost diagonally forwards with the nose)?

Seems like releasing it behind you would make the trick harder to bring back in on the landing... more like a whirlybird.
Old                06-30-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
Mike,

I was not able to watch your video...I used to have the same problem. I landed too much on my heels, and I developed pretty bad heel bruises, even with super thick binding pads. I can say this...as you get better at the backroll, you will start doing more of a roll instead of more of a reverse cartwheel. To make it more of a roll, take a softer cut. If you are not getting enough air, you are throwing it too early. As you leave the wake, look over your front shoulder. When you get upside down, let go with your back hand and hold the handle as if you were sticking it in your pocket. Hold it close as well. As you come around for the landing, point your toes so the toeside edge of the board hits the water first while you are still rotating. This will stop your rotation and create a super soft landing.

Doing the backroll this method creates a much slower and loftier roll, and it also makes it VERY easy to grab or spin. A pro once told me that I was charging the wake too hard for all of my tricks. I scoffed at him...I mean what does he know? I hated it at first...it totally screwed up my riding, and I couln't even do it the old way way anymore. Well, he was right...charging the wake too hard only made me raley out my inverts, which causes me to land too much on my heels. You probably won't like it at first, and you'll probably hate me. Give it time, though. I will work better.

Since I couldn't see your roll, I am guessing. It sounds like the most probable solution, though.

WakingUP,

Yes, the board should be going a bit behind you, until you take your back hand off the handle. The backroll is a roll (rail over rail), not a flip (tip over tail).

Hope I could help.

Marlon
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-30-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
hey mike,

you should just handle pass that and call it an o/a 3! you're letting the board get waay behind you and you're getting off-axis. you need to let the board come up over you more and not so much out behind you.