Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-26-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
http://wakeboardingmag.com/wakeboard...12&spPodID=030

Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-26-2012, 3:25 PM Reply   
Not enough?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-26-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
At first i thought 15 just on the transom haha Pretty cool that the logo on the side lights up with leds i guess.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-26-2012, 3:55 PM Reply   
Boats sick but naked towers...meh. Throw some 410's up there and you'll really have something.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-26-2012, 4:14 PM Reply   
Naked tower is a little odd looking...but I think the function of speakers at the back is perhaps a good one - my towers completely overload the boat and it would be nice to be able to keep it down in the boat if I wanted but still blast the rider...

The tower speakers deafened people in the back of my old direct drive...lol (not really funny though)

Also the issue of head clearance with speakers on the tower.

As far as the logo lighting up...OH YEAH!

That stupid shark movie had some cool Epic footage. Do yourself a favor and just stop watching after they blow up the boat. (not really a spoiler alert needed...)
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-26-2012, 6:23 PM Reply   
The 15 speakers is pretty typical for the epics. 6 cabin speakers + sub, 8 transom speakers. All seemed to be WS xs650.

The transom speakers are really nice as they don't blast the people in the cabin, but at the same time they aren't HLCDs so they don't project sound all too well.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-26-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
They coulda put two rev10's on each side where the ski locker is and it woulda been way Louder. ;-) still clowning though
Old     (jeepdude)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-26-2012, 6:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
They coulda put two rev10's on each side where the ski locker is and it woulda been way Louder. ;-) still clowning though
Clowning or not you're right.
Some HLCD's are needed. it is great when your partying, but when you re 65-80 off and not directly behind it, you can barely hear it.

that being said the stereo sounds amazing and is the party at any sand bar!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2012, 8:28 PM Reply   
Okay. Maybe I'm ignorant but, how the heck do you stop water from running into the speakers when you slow down or come to an abrupt stop with those boats? It seems impossible.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-26-2012, 10:02 PM Reply   
Nice boat! I love how Epic mounts the speakers on the Transom. So nice to be able to crank up the tunes for the rider and not blow everyones ears out sitting in the back seat. If they could incorporate REV 8's or 10's in the transom that would be amazing and project sound a little better.

I dont know why the Big 3 are not starting to incorporate this design idea into there transom.... it just makes sense.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2012, 10:52 PM Reply   
^^^^^It's because of the huge amounts of water that can wash up on the transom when stopping etc. I still gotta know how this is not a problem for Epic.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-27-2012, 6:09 AM Reply   
I have an 07 Epic. It still has the original speakers in it and the still sound fine. Yes, some water will hit them, but the big water push is still just below them. It's just like water off a ducks back!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-27-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
I think they treat all their transom speakers with ScotchGuard.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-27-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
HLCD's and copius amounts of water don't go well togther.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-27-2012, 2:43 PM Reply   
Yeah, wakeboard boats and transom speakers don't go together... Unless it's for show.. Any speaker on the transom is pretty dumb idea... That's why David is cracking jokes... Atleast mine was tasteful about Doing Revs instead... To each his own though, right?.... can't people get along And respect each others dumb ideas or decisions on this site?
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
What are hlcd and rev 8 or10? Excuse my being ignorant but I have no clue what these are.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-27-2012, 9:24 PM Reply   
Horn Loaded Compression Drivers.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-27-2012, 9:39 PM Reply   
Here is a good synopsis why sound set-ups can be so bad, even with good equipment.

http://earmarkcaraudio.com/articles/...er_anatomy.htm
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
i assume the side logo is more of a illumiglo panel as apposed to LEDS? like ricer gauges etc.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2012, 7:18 AM Reply   
Tower Horn Loaded Compression Drivers have come a long way since I wrote that article years ago.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-28-2012, 7:27 AM Reply   
For what it's worth, the Epic transom audio is the best tower/transom audio system I've ever heard while riding. I've never been able to hear the music so clearly and loudly while riding. It's awesome. Especially with the Equalizer where you can turn the transom speakers up separately from the cabin speakers. Perfect volume for people in the boat and behind it.

And the speakers don't melt when you come to a stop. I've been around 2 Epics for long periods of time and this has never been an issue. The speakers are essentially waterproof
Old     (jeepdude)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-28-2012, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
Tower Horn Loaded Compression Drivers have come a long way since I wrote that article years ago.

David
Earmark Marine
David, are there any major changes that can easily be explained in a post?
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-28-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
I guess im not sure where you guys bashing the speakers on the transom are getting your information from but just because you think it is stupid/dumb idea doesn't mean it is?

You are basing your comments on your lack of experience with the transom speakers.

My 2012 Epic 23v has had ZERO problems with the transom speaker setup, the sound isnt as loud as HLCDs from the tower, but the flip side to that is that my wife, and 2 small kids are not going deaf inside the boat from tower mounted speakers. I thought about adding towers speakers to my boat, but in the end the transom setup delivers what I want and need. I can ride @75ft and still hear my music loud and clean, and the people in the boat have much less exposure to the music.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
^^^ Hey what the heck do I know? I was just asking. I claimed ignorance from the first sentence. It just SEEMS like a crazy place to put speakers. Not from a sound perspective-but from a practical perspective. I mean, all boats take some water up the butt in certain scenarios not to mention the potential speaker damage from boards etc. I just don't see how Epic has been able to avoid it. They must be engineering geniuses.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
I mean, is the swim platform oversized or something to protect the water from ever hitting the speakers? I'm not bashing Tyler so- no need to get a$$ hurt. I was just genuinely curious.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2012, 10:49 AM Reply   
IIRC, they did have some issues when they were using Kicker back there but since the switch to Wetsound I haven't heard any complaints.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2012, 6:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
David, are there any major changes that can easily be explained in a post?
Yes, there are a couple of reasons and changes but nothing radical in new technology or new materials in the past decade. The base technology has been around forever.
First, several of the tower speaker manufacturers discontinued their 6.5" HLCD offerings. A smallish 6.5" midbass driver cannot keep up with a powerful horn and these speakers are often brutal.
HollowPoint now starts with a 7.7-inch HLCD and Wetsounds starts with an 8-inch HLCD with a larger 10-inch model.
Second, the article points out some of the real challenges of making a good sounding HLCD. Manufacturers had to start treating the individual drivers as non-linear components with varying impedance curves in order to correctly bias the passive crossovers and create a smoother response. They have had a lot of time since their first generation products to make the refinements.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jeepdude)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-30-2012, 7:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for the Info David.

To reply to some other comments:
The swim platform is a normal size, but it does hook up to the boat a little differently than most of the major manufactures. i think this helps keep the water away, because there is no gap between the boat and swim platform.
The speakers are also much higher on the transom than they seem. Even with the boat slammed for surfing, they may get spray, but not soaked. I, just like Tyler, have never had an issue with them.
The major advantage that everyone including me is pointing out... You can carry a convo in the boat while you blast tunes for the Rider! I hate driving my friends boat with 4 tower speakers compared to my epic with transom audio!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-30-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
owner since 2007, we surf, ride, 650hrs on the boat, ZERO issues with speakers in the transom failing due to water. Now if someone managed to get their board under the cushion through the grab bars to bash a speaker grill and damage a speaker, he wins a quick trip to the dock, if he's not swimming already.

I like how this topic comes up every year, like its new for that year.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-30-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
oh and the LED's in the 10th anniversary only boats are backlit to a clear gel. Part of the resin infusion technology that allows them to do this. I think it's cool, I just don't have any use for it. Pretty much off the water by dark, if not the mosquitos will carry you off and hijack your boat for a booze cruise.
Old     (Eppies07epic)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-30-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
I find it very amusing when people give opinions and arguments on things (Transom Speakers in this instance) they have no idea about! It is very obvious you haven't been around an Epic, and some I question if you even have a boat! Now with that off my chest....LOLOLOL! For people asking how do the speakers hold up to water getting on them, how do they sound and how do they keep from getting beat up by boards.....I have a 2007 Epic. It came with Clarion through out. I am not a big fan of Clarion (Except for head units) so I took them all out and went with JL Audio Speakers and Alpine PDX amps. Cabin speakers 6 x 7.7 components, transom 8 x 7.7 coaxial, and a W7 12 for the sub. Up until the Rev speakers came out my speakers were as loud as any tower speaker and had more of a full sound. The revs are louder, but truly I'm not trying to send the music 100 yards away. Basically saying they work for me. Water does hit them, but not as much as you would think, there is a good distance from the speakers to the platform and water. I've had the JLs in for about three years and not one problem. As for boards hitting them they have never get hit. I respect the opinions of the naked tower look, but I on the other hand don't like the towers with gargantuan speakers hanging off them, or the ten million speakers all over the tower. People just like different things, doesn't mean its STUPID, I just like something else. Just my two cents
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-01-2012, 6:51 PM Reply   
I love the transom speakers. IMO they are better than tower speakers any day. The main reason I like them is that you can crank the transom speakers and your passengers don't get blown out by the tower speakers and the cabin can be at a comfortable listening level for the kids or anyone else. I've been riding behind Eppie's boat for 3 or 4 years now and there hasn't been one issue with the speakers, it's not really rocket science and not any different than my Wetsounds sitting out in the rain all summer long. Don't knock it until you've tried it. 8 7.7's sounds really good!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-01-2012, 11:52 PM Reply   
^^^Did you just say sitting out in the RAIN all summer long? Poor guy. I think the transom speaker idea is great as long as it's not a problem with water and boards hitting it. That's all I was getting at. What I don't understand are the Epic owners who get so a$$ hurt for asking a friggin question. WTF? Do you guys feel like you get no respect? Very sensitive people...