Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (ldp_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-04-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
Anyone ever have this happen to them. It happened to me while trying a tantrum and landed short on the wake. Luckily it wasn't a knee or ankle. Went to the doctor the next monday (after the weekend) and he told me it was a muscle contusion which is a bruise to the muscle fibers within the muscle capsule. He told me to completely stay off of it for 48 hours (45 minutes elevated, 15 minutes down) for the whole 2 days... but of course I could only do it for 24 hours. Anyways, after 2 weeks of taking it easy and only walking the pain was completely gone. Then my bonehead decided to play softball and it popped, well something in my shin muscle pops now. Looks like I'm not riding for a few more weeks but want to know if this has happened to any of you fellow riders.
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-04-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
ShinSplints....part of wakeboarding
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-04-2008, 6:24 PM Reply   
Happened to me when I first started riding in High-school. Back when we used sandal bindings. I landed, my foot stayed planted, but the rest of my let moved. Ripped the shin muscle. Happened in Sept. Took a long time to heal. Coaches weren't too pleased with me in football.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-04-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
yeah, i got that same bruising coming up short on tantrums. i waited a week and tried again. same thing. i have not tried again this year, but i probably will next time out. i think i'm ready now.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-04-2008, 10:39 PM Reply   
This is an easy fix, when it heals, you need to train that muscle. It is totally shinsplints. This happens to me when I haven't been running in a long time, and for whatever reason I do a bunch of walking on a random day. All of a sudden those muscles get worked a bunch and they aren't used to it. You and run, or you can do some resistance training in which you raise your toes with some form of resistance. Either that or you can wakeboard every day and it will train them.
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-05-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
your calf muscles are way tight! stretch your calves twice a day. according to what your doctor stated it sounds like its not shin splints cause that is more involved with the bone (tibia). you injured your tibialis anterior and the opposing muscle (antagonist) is the calf. stretch it!
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-05-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
i didn'g go to the doc, but mine totally felt like a bruising from coming up short because it hurt right when i landed (the same way a few times in a row), unlike sore muscles, which probably usually wouldn't hurt until the next day.
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-05-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
Wrap them tight w/ medical tape before you ride. It helps a lot.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-05-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
yeah, that sounds good. i wouldn't be totally against wearing some kind of guard on my shin until i get it dialed in.
Old     (ldp_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-05-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input guys. I could barely walk after I hurt it the first time and even worse the second time last friday. I can deal with being sore but when it's painful it really sucks.

Poke, I definitely neglect my flexibility and will start dedicating some time each day to stretch my calf and tibialis anterior. Haha... I said tibialis anterior, but I did look it up and that's exactly what hurts.

I so feel like riding this weekend and the leg is getting better even after re-injuring. It's still tender to walk but I can tell I've got some strength coming back into the leg. I sure would be a fool to hurt it again. How long should I give myself before running or riding to fully recover? My chiropractor friend said a month...
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-05-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
depending on how bad it hurts, i might would ride, but no tantrum attempts. maybe try abother invert or something where you will not land like you did to bruise it. maybe a backroll or a 3, if you are not already doing them. mine was totally fine in a week to 10 days.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-05-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
depending on how bad it hurts, i might would ride, but no tantrum attempts. maybe try another invert or something where you will not land like you did to bruise it. maybe a backroll or a 3, if you are not already doing them. mine was totally fine in a week to 10 days.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-06-2008, 5:47 AM Reply   
When I was in bootcamp for the Marines, our drill instructor used to have a saying for things like this. "Get a big straw and suck it the And that "pain is weakness leaving the body."
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       08-06-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
I get shin splints off and on and stretching before I ride each day helps. It takes a few minutes and is worth it. I had a horrible shin splint after a scarecrow this weekend, hurt so bad i was sure I cracked something. I hobbled around for the rest of the day and popped a few advil. The next day I could ride without much pain and now it's just tender as is usually with shin splints.

Does anyone have any good specific shin splint related stretches? And, does anyone have any good exercises that help strengthen that area?
Old     (ldp_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-07-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
Bret, I like the quote "pain is weakness leaving the body" haha. It sure is taking it's sweet asz time to go wherever it's going.