Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-05-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
I just lost privlage of using my friends boat lift due to him getting another boat. I was wondering how hard it would be to build one? Has anyone done this?
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
That would not be something that I would experiment with. Not only having to deal with damaging your boat but someone could get hurt real easy. I would buy one or find a used one the lake where you go.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-05-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
The design is simple and does not look that hard. I have the assembly manual and could go of that. I guess if I cannot afford a lift what are your guys thought on mooring whips? I dont want to keep boat in water but I will if i have to. I am in between tow vehicles right now and am waiting till after I get marries this fall to buy another.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-05-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
Look to craigslist and buy one in good condition used. I picked up a two motor, 6,000lb lift in very good condition for $700. There are good deals out there, you just have to be patient and then JUMP on it when it appears.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-05-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Sippo, I use mooring whips at my dock for friends that stop by, they work great.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
If your talking about building a scissor style lift (like Nyman or Sunstream), then I agree with the others. Pick up a used one rather than attempting to make one.

If your talking about a hanging style lift inside a boat house though....... There are kits available for making these lifts. Assembly is based on the design of the boat house your installing it in. And I believe their typically a lot less espensive.... but you have to have the boat house too.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-05-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
I guess i am looking at using mooring whips this season. I really hate the thought of having it sit in the water all season. I have a buddy that is a fabricator and he is looking into making one so if we attempt i will show progress.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-05-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
Whats up Adam? Heard you did a little power washing Sunday...
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-05-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
^^^The puke etched my neighbors concrete. I'm hoping it comes out with some cleaner, luckily my neighbor wasn't made at all...his response "s*it happens"
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-06-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
hey I'm an artist now, what can i say?

yes mooring whips are cheap (relatively speaking) and work well. used free standing lifts are also an idea. Call my dad (www.tigerdocks.com). he has an inventory of used lifts and may be able to give you some recommendations. he also sells mooring whips if you go that route.

Upload
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-06-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
i just took apart and re-assembled my Hewitt cantelever lift. if you have a bandsaw, drill press, and can weld aluminum you could easily make your own. but, i think the cost of the materials and winch and pulley's and cables would probably be about the same as a used lift...but the design is really simple...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-06-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
Wow, I guess Ill remember that a Captain Morgan and Jagerbomb mix with stomach acid can eat concrete.
Does your Dad need a Florida rep? My job is starting to bore me...
A used lift is the way to go unless you just like to build stuff - I totally understand.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-06-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
ANDREW....thanks for the link to tigerdocks.com

All i can say is that if i had that link a few months ago i would probably have saved a ton of money. A lot of used lifts on there. and most are located in STL, only a couple hour drive...

I ended up going with an Econolift floating front-mount(local dealer). I'm not thrilled about how it's working out...
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-07-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Yeah they really become a full service waterfront company over the last 10 years. Best thing is he will help you out with advice, even if you don't buy stuff from him. I think a lot of people from wakeworld have talked to him.

I designed the site currently up YEARS ago, and their new site is literally days away from being posted. We spent a ton of time on it. I'll post a notice as soon as it goes live. Should have online ordering functionality now too, and tons of new pictures.....
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-07-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
couldn't help a sneak peak......

Upload
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-07-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
ted - we can talk about it this weekend....
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-07-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
^^^^round 2...I'm off thursday, friday, sat, sun, and maybe monday. Highs int eh 90's and sunny.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-07-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Here is a lift company that will send you a lift un-assembled which can save you $s when you assemble / install yourself. Lots of options and prices.

http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/lifts07/index.html
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-07-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
Sounds good to me. Ill put my board back in truck today and Ill be ready ready for thursday, friday, saturday and sunday - and monday...
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-07-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
There are actually a number of different lift options you can install yourself. I think a fair amount of customers for new and used lifts end up doing the install themselves. Most of the freestanding ones (hewitt, sunstream, shoremaster, etc) are not too tough. Its the integrated ones that are a little more challenging.