Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old    wakeboardersdad            08-03-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
Hi There:

Just bought a Liquid Force Trip 133 for my 12 year old son. He snowboards, but is new to wakeboarding. I would appreciate your specific recommendations as to a binding that would be suitable. He is 5 feet tall and weighs 90 lbs.

I am also curious about a couple of issues:

1) What construction and features should we be looking for?

2) What specific make and model of bindings would you recommend? I know that are lots, but what is tried and true, for a 12 year old? What are the wakeboard instructors recommending for their students?

3) An now a non-wakeboarding parents questions; sorry if it sounds ingnorant. Is it important that the bindings come off easily (or not) in a fall? In snowboarding, you do not want the bindings to release, as you would risk only one foot releasing, which would then risk injury to the other foot/leg. What are you looking for in bindings?

The reason that I ask, is that I have looked at the Liquid Force SuperSuction bindings and have heard folks say that they are very difficult to put on and take off, even with lubricant.

4) Another newbie quesiont: How adjustable should the binding be, to obtain a good fit? I note that some of the more expensive bindings are fairly adjustable. What adjustments do I need? I suppose that some degree of adjustability would be useful, for a growing boy's feet.

5) How useful are the binding size guidelines. I had thought that I would need a medium for my son's size mens 7 feet, based upon the Liquid Force size chart. Is that the right size? Should we buy larger? Smaller?

6) What type and quality of binding do we need? I would wish the binding to be safe and not impede his learning + last for atleast a couple of years. I mean that the binding should physically last, cover some foot growth and be suitable for his skill growth over afew seasons.

7) How much do we need to spend (based upon new, retail pricing? Our point of view is that we will spend a sufficient amount to be safe and to ensure (not impede) learning. However, we will not buy "more" binding than he needs for his current and say one skill level up. I have seen to many parents equipment that is top notch, that their children simply cannot handle. It's a waste and is sometimes dangerous.

Sorry for the 20 questions. Thanks for your help.

Julian