Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (3star)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-10-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
Has anyone purchased a boat without seeing it and had it shipped across the country. I found a good deal but its to far to drive. With only inboards shipping estimates it would be about $1200 which isn’t bad. My question is about payment. How does it work. What’s the safest way so that the seller and myself feel 110% comfortable about the transaction.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-10-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Personally I would recommend that you either fly there or have someone do a survey on the boat. Depending on where the boat is find a third party to look at the boat. I had a boat I was looking at and had a Service guy from a like type dealer in a nearby town I was going to pay to check out the boat. I think he was going to take some digital photos and charge about $100. Still a risk but if you are close to buying, cheap insurance. One thing I found out the Bank sprung on me at the last moment and asked for a marine survey since the boat was used. I talked them out of it but it could have been a problem.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-10-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
I did this once. In hindsight, I wish I would have done a quick trip there and back to inspect beforehand... The image of what condition you think the boat will be in and reality often look very different! Good luck.
Old     (3star)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-10-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
thanks for the info. the boat is over 2k miles away and i trip there would really cut into the savings of buying this boat. i wish i could but it is just not feasible. a survey is a must but my main concern is paying 17k and never seeing my boat.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-10-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Hi Brett, I do this all the time for out of state and country buyers. Many times the yacht can be worth more than a quarter mil, plus shipping, import and duty tax. It is quite a responsibility. When you call surveyors pay attention to the questions they ask. If, after asking what kind of boat and where they begin to ask specific questions about your perception and expectations regarding cosmetic and upkeep issues. And they ask these questions without prodding, then perhaps you have found the right surveyor. As far as comfort level goes you need an escrow account. I would also recommend a buyers broker. If the boat is listed with a broker already, the two split the commission at no extra cost to you or the seller. I understand however that this class of boat is generally sold by owner.
I have heard, but not verified that Boat US offers an escrow service. Please investigate this as a viable safe guard for all parties.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-10-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
i just bought a new enzo 23 yesterday. the boat was from kentucky and i am in pittsburgh. the dealer went under so i had the manufactorer send a rep to inspect the boat, then the boat back to the manufactorer to go over it and then to my dealer. it was in perfect shape. now i was goign to fly out to cali to see a few boats that were from kal kustom, but after finding out they had wood in there boats i didn't. what i would do is find someone you know or knows someone who works for an airline and get a buddy pass. it may cost 50 bucks to fly stand by good luck:-)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-10-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
I've done it twice. Both times I had a local person go visit the boat & give me a call when they were sitting in front of the boat. They sent me cell pics of any issues they found. And then when I felt good about the boat & whoever was selling it, I made the trip myself. The last time I had the dealer fixing fiberglass damage, stereo issues, locating a spare tire, etc. I told him all this up front before I ever left my house. At that point he was happy to commit to it.

Sounds like your case would be a bit different in that you'd have the boat shipped back to you. But the plane trip out would only add a few hundred bucks to the cost. If thats all the better the deal is, then I'd be asking myself if it was worth all the risk.
Old     (3star)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-10-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
john thanks for the advice. if it is worth the risk is the question i have been asking myself. the longer i think about the more negatives i see. i think i will have to pass on this deal its just to far. if anyone is in Washington there is a 23' lsv for 15k. seemed like a great deal to me. hopefully i will find something similar near Cincinnati.
Old    brycejay            01-10-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
mind throwing up a link? I looked for it but can't find it
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       01-10-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
If it's close to Spokane I can go take a look at it if someone is interested.
Old     (3star)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-11-2010, 3:46 AM Reply   
http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/1544116990.html here you go bryce. good luck hopefully something close will pop up near ohio
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-11-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
"The performance is high"? Call me crazy, but that sounds like it was written by someone who doesn't speak English very well. There's also zero details about the boat other than "low hours" - which they don't actually list.

Looks like a Vdrive and all that jazz... but be careful.

Then there's the sight-unseen and delivery part of the deal...

(Message edited by denverd1 on January 11, 2010)
Old    brycejay            01-11-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
I hate when they don't put a phone number...
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-11-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
Smells fishy.
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       01-11-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Brett...if it's the "one", spend the money to fly out and look at it yourself. No ifs ands or buts, just do it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-11-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
What happened to the list of folks who are willing to go look at a boat for someone? There was thread (a yr ago, IIRC) where people from across the country could go kick the tires on a boat that was too far away for them to look at personally... Not sure what happened after the initial idea/thread...
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-11-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
I have not seen that boat in our service department for any work, oil changes etc. I would be a little leary. Usually I call every BU listed localy on Craigs List however I have not inquired on this one. I will look in to this and help you sniff it out.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
The english does sound a little sketchy...... but then again, it's north Idaho.
Sandpoint is like 40 min north of Bret & I. If your serious about it, I'm sure we can work something out to get it looked at by some impartial eyes, send you some more pics, get a mechanic to look it over, even do a test drive, etc.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-11-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
I just e-mailed the guy asking for a phone #. I will keep you posted if and when I hear back from him.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-11-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
I just e-mailed the guy asking for a phone #. I will keep you posted if and when I hear back from him.