Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
I just bought the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro. Pretty cool lens! It is a 1:1 macro.

I have only shot hand held in pretty strong wind, but even in those crappy conditions, it does pretty well:

Upload
Upload

Pretty good portrait lens as well:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-16-2007, 8:05 PM Reply   
Looks good!

The 100 is as sharp as any of the other Canon primes. It's too bad they couldn't have made it an f1.8 or f2 (but then it wouldn't be able to be a macro)
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-19-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
my 100mm macro is one of my favorite lenses, its sharper than any of my other lenses, including an L, and its fun to shoot something different. You'll definitley want to shoot with a tripod, its a must when you get that close to a subject because any little movement screws your photo up, Definitley invest in a good tripod if you don't already have one, i use a bogen manfrotto 3021pro and it is super sturdy and easy to adjust quickly.

as you shoot more and more macro you'll probably want to get a remote shutter release and shoot use the mirror lock function to get tack sharp shots.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-19-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
I have the 3001N with a 3030 head. Already have the rempote release; thanks for the reminder about mirror lockup . . . I totally forgot about that capability . . . .

I'll post a couple more shots after the weekend.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-19-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
Don't forget to get one of those ringlites for macro as well (very cool - always wanted one of those!)
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-21-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
rich, those things look amazing, but i just can't get myself to spend the money on one, too expesive, but hopefully when i get the 430ex it will at least get me some good lighting for maro. i hope.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-22-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
For my limited macro forays I bought one of these macro brackets and a Canon off cam shoe cord to use with my 430ex.

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/flash-bracket-macro-brackets.cfm