Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (pav)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-16-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
Hi, I have a 2001 Mastercraft X-10. When cold & still slightly warm, up until about 20 minutes of running, when I put it in gear (engagement is normal) and start adding throttle, there is a slight "bump" like it wasn't completely in gear. Or like there is some kind of slack in the drive line. After it is completely warmed up, it stops doing this. If you go from pulling someone and just slow down to idle, then throttle back up again, it doesn't happen again (even when cold) but if you take it back to full neutral and start over, it keeps happening Until Completely Warm.

It is very slight and I seem to be the only person that notices it (probably because Im the only one that will have to pay for it) but it has been doing this for about 2 years now (since I purchased the boat). I did not notice it when I purchased it. Any idea what this could be? Or how to fix it? There are no other symptoms along with this "bump" or slight clunk. My fear is that if someone else is pulling me, that they may put it in gear and give it full throttle, and what ever is bumping breaks.

Thank you}
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-16-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
Sounds like the shift cable may be out of adjustment.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       11-16-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Do you have the ZF transmission? What type of fluid are you using in it? I think 2003-ish MC started using 15W40 motor oil (at rec of ZF) in the trans to minimize this condition.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       11-16-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
"Customers have indicated concern about a noise produced by the ZF/Hurth reduction-transmission (V-drive or direct drive). This noise is more pronounced at idle and typically ceases when rpm is raised above idle. However, to attempt to reduce the sound at low rpm the transmission manufacturer suggests changing from Dexron3 fluid to 15W40 motor oil. The higher viscosity smooths the contact of the gears with the side benefit of reducing noise. As a running change Indmar has begun using 15W40 in reduction-gear transmissions begining with serial number IC985313. Those units will have a 15W40 sticker on the transmission in place of the ATF sticker previously used. Service intervals remain the same. Bulletin # 2002.JAN.25.1"

http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=55&forum=10&category=2

I don't know if it's the same thing you are experiencing, but it's a cheap start!
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-16-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Also replace the filter. If you have never done this on your tranny, it will help with the circulation/engagement of your fluid/gears when operating cold.
Old     (pav)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-16-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
adam Curtis, do you know where the shift cable is or how to adjust it?

Thanks Paul, but it does not have any of those symptoms.

Todd, I have never replaced the transmission filter, I didnt even know it had one.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-16-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
It does have a filter...It's more of a metal screen element. It is going to be the most expensive part of the service as retail is around 100-120 depending on the shop. Indmar suggests that the tranny service be done every 100 hrs.