Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-03-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
Ouch
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-SUPRA-22-SSV-WAKEBOARD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63686QQihZ013 QQitemZ230046693933QQrdZ1
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-03-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
Id take the tower and speakers...can always use new speakers.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-03-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
Isn't that the boat that hit the island at Havasu? I looked at that boat the auction I think. IMO that hull is done for, I don't care how good you are at fiberglass work. It has a large crack running all the way down the keel. If I remember right it was bought at auction for $6,300. I think someone died on it too.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-03-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
I think it was originally posted either on here or Hotboat.com....

Upload
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-03-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
http://www.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132050
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-03-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
that boat is from lake mead. i know of the fellas involved but not going to say names. alcohol was definitely a factor but i dont think anyone was seriously injured if i am remembering correctly.

i believe it was near the Narrows after Callville Bay

very unfortunate, sick boat. dont drive at nite when you are not familiar with the lake kids!
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-03-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
So thats where Epic got their design!
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-03-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Just kidding around....Epic has a great design, and it looks like the accident was very devistating for the individuals and families involved. Hope everyone takes the above post with humor.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-03-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
That motor is worth about $5k. I would think you could part off that boat and still make $10k (stereo, tower, PP, trailer, covers, seat cushions, gauges). As far as fixing it up, no way. It has lost a lot of structural integrity.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-04-2006, 1:26 AM Reply   
wow i've seen a lot of bad fiberglass damage at my parents shop but nothing that all that boat is good for is as a parts boat.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-04-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
The motor is most likely shot. I have repaired several boats with less damage that ended up having shot motors due to the impact. The parts off the motor would be good though...
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-04-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
What gets damaged inside of the engine from impact?
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-04-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
I have done six restoration/rebuilds and of the six, four ended up having engines that needed rebuilds. In chevy motors for some reason the rear main seal and bearing get all jack up, at least on a V-Drive. On the Ford I ended up replacing first three rods which were all bent. The other two boats ran pretty good in the beggining but I heard from the guys who ended up selling them back east that they had to replace boat engines at 500 hours or something. These were all on boats that had front end or side impact damage, not as bad as the one above...
Old    ace5693            11-04-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
i don't understand how the steering wheel and the gauges would have gotten messed up. does anyone know what they hit to mess up the boat that much
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-04-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
That would be from the driver's body!
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-04-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Can you say drunken night at Lake Mead??
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-04-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
Red
I have seen cars hit harder and have no engine problems. Sounds like motors were run low on oil.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-04-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
I agree Aaron. I could see trans damage but bent rods? sounds like those that wreck boats do not take good care of them either.
Old     (themilelowclub)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-04-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
I'm with Aaron here. I've seen hundreds of wrecked cars, even wrecked plenty, mostly sprint cars and a drag car or two.
I've never seen what Red is talking about. I've seen motor mounts and externally mounted parts destroyed but to blow a motor because of impact? Very doubtful.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-04-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
+3 never seen that either. Experienced here too.

You're batting a thousand, Red.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-04-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
Car wreck, foot comes off throttle motor stops or comes to an idle.

From the impact shown in these photos it looks like the boat was traveling at speed. Based on the looks of the steering wheel pictures shown in the e-bay pictures looks like the driver got tossed. It's likely that throttle was mashed and stayed that way after impact. I don't think it's the impact that's causing the engine damage I would suspect it's what happens in the first few minutes after impact. If the throttle is mashed and the prop comes out of the water the motor is likely to bend a few rods. Since the prop shows foldover damage I would say that engine damage is a good bet on this one. But it's easy to check right? Just hook up a battery, water and fire it up. When is the last time you saw somebody using the kill switch lanyard?
Old     (kristin_ware)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-04-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
Mikeski
I don't think that would be an issue. Let's just say he was turning 3-4 thousand rpm. That motor will do that all day long with no problems. If it was 5,000 rpm it would still be OK for a little while. I know car's are a little different. I had a 92 mustang 5.0 with a full exhaust 3.73 gears and some other bolt parts. I ran from Houston to San Antonio turning 4,000 rpm. That was a 3 1/2 hour trip non stop at that rpm. Red was saying that the others were not as bad and had front or side damage. I just don't see the connection.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-04-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
Kristen but if the boat came out of the water got hot and siezed up... the possibilities are endless
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-05-2006, 7:01 AM Reply   
Ryan
If the boat came out of the water you would get free rev. Just like missing a gear when shifting. I doubt it was out of the water that long with the motor runing if it came out at all.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
Actually, as a true REDNECK I run in the demo derbys all the time (actually ran last night and will run again tonight at the AZ state fair, next week in Buckeye, AZ) and know exactly what a motor can and can not be put through. For some reason in a boat, even more so with a V-drive engine damage is pretty common in a collision, ask any surveyor or marine insurance adjuster. I have no idea why, except that the motor is in backwards and the transmission is usually not a solid mount. The transmission and V-Drive actually pull on the motor (crank) in a collision. When I was in SAE we learned how and why the chevy 350 is configured the way it is. The front bearing on the 350 is "double-walled" while the the rear main is single. In GM's design notes on the motor collision was one of the engineering criteria.

On the Ford motor with the bent rods the motor had a oil in the cylinders probably from running for a period of time at an angle, and the motor hydrolocked, IMO.

Again, I don't really know why marine engines get hammered during a collision, I can only speculate. I do know from experiance though they do fail very often during and after a collision and would caution anyone about buying an engine from a wrecked boat. That's my advice and it's probably worth what you are paying for it! Also notice in the hotboat.com thread someone else says the same thing!
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Also Boatcop on hotboat.com also brings up a good point, the boat hit so hard that the strut actually broke. That will give you an idea how hard that motor pulled forward during the impact...
Upload
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-05-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
How do you know the strut borke from the motor moving forward and not hitting something under water? I guess we will never know.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
Usually when a boat hits something with the prop/strut the shaft bends and the prop looks a lot worse, just my EDUCATED opinion.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
Aaron,
I was just thinking to myself, I don't mean to be a know it all, I am far from that. I guess all that I am trying to do is to give my opinion. Some people on these boards don't have very much experience with mechanical type stuff and I think my opinion here is worth something. I don't mean or want to start a fight with someone over the internet, that would be just dumb. So you can have your opinion and question everything that I write and that is fine, however I hope someone doesn't go out buy this thing just for the motor and parts because they may be junk.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-09-2006, 10:37 PM Reply   
Check the winning bid... almost $20k. I bet the seller made out pretty well.

I mess around with bikes, cars, and boats often, and I really don't see much value in a "parts boat". There aren't many unique parts in a boat.

Oh, and Red, are you the wakeworlder formerly known as Bocephus?
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-10-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
No, but I am trying to buy his 210 from him. His name is Ryan something.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-10-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
man, I still think I remember that thing going up for auction and getting $6,300.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-10-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
At $20k some one plans to fix it. I don't think they would pay that much to part it out.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-17-2006, 7:38 AM Reply   
Sorry to keep bringing this up, but the whole thing seems fishy. It's been relisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-SUPRA-22-SSV-WAKEBOARD-TOURNAMENT-EDITION_W0QQitemZ230051925021QQihZ013QQcategoryZ63 686QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is also more in the description saying they can repair the 'glass damage for $3000. Seems a little low to me.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-17-2006, 8:11 AM Reply   
That's to funny. No negative feedback, no nothing...
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-21-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
I think it's fishy too. The location says it's stored at Boats of Nevada, the Tige dealership here but the phone number is for Houston, TX. I guess it's possible that the insurance company that totaled the boat is selling it on eBay and paying Boats of Nevada to store it until it is sold. If I were them, I wouldn't want anything to do with it.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-21-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
I had a similar boat at my shop. There is no way that $3k would be a start of it. I recall seeing the boat on here a while back. I tried to email the owners as I found them on wakesiderides.com and got no response. Why would a boat get totalled out a paid nearly 54K and then get fixed for $3K? Essentially you would need to get a new mold for the front and start over. No guarantees after it's fixed likely either.

This boat was totalled, driver went through the windshield, broke dash, wheel, etc. Hull actually was stressed to the point that the tower bowed outwards. Again no way $3K could make it float.

Upload
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-21-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
So Dan,
Would you agree or disagree with me that that motor is possible junk?
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-21-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
what you are saying make sense to me. I worry more about the motor mounts and hydrolocking if it took on water. I saw the posts shortly after this boat was wrecked that this boat was pulled up on shore and sat overnight. I'm sure it could have been submerged. I wouldn't buy that boat for any price.
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-21-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
i find it kind of weird that the stereo is missing in the second picture posted on ebay. Looks like the dealer or someone is trying to "take advantage" of the situation.