Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       11-12-2012, 8:13 PM Reply   
For full details, please go to themalibucrew.com

Thank you to Pirates Cove Marine for setting this up. They are a great dealership!

I have a ton of pictures. I did not post them here.

Here is the link to the pictures: CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES

I must say that I CANNOT stress this enough - the people at the factory do not know a stranger. They are all super nice - everyone! Everyone you pass will shake your hand and greet you. They all want to talk to you and tell you thank you for coming by. I got to meet Jack Springer (a fellow native Texan). We shared our disappointment of the Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Rangers. Very nice guy - could have talked to him all day. The lady at the front desk is a fellow University of Alabama fan and graduate! Roll Tide! Dennis, our tour guide, has been with Malibu for like 20 years and really knows his stuff. Everyone treats you like they have known you for years - a truly great bunch of people that take pride in their work and it shows!

Me, my wife, and my 10 year son arrived at 1pm. The super nice lady at the front desk (the Bama fan) handed us a bunch of FREE malibu factory tour shirts and my son got a free remote control malibu. We were given our safety goggles, stopped by the restroom, and out onto the plant floor we went. Our tour lasted for 2 hours - like I said, these people love to talk to you. They never rush you and they will answer all of your questions. They don't mind you getting in there with them and looking around. I was afraid they would not let us get close - nothing could be further from the truth. We got up close and personal with everyone and every process - truly awesome.

Any questions - fire away. I will answer if I can.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-12-2012, 9:02 PM Reply   
What happened to Alabama this past weekend?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       11-12-2012, 9:45 PM Reply   
Very nice! What is the boat with the tube tower? It looks pretty sick IMO. On a negative note, that steering wheel is the farthest thing from cool I've seen on a new boat in some time.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-12-2012, 9:53 PM Reply   
Great pics, Bama! That factory sure looks spotless. Is it just me, or do most of the boats pictured have some flake in them? Or did you just ignore the other boats? Sure seems like flake is all the rage lately. Also, lots of MXZ's there... as I looked at them, I thought of all the Bu purists who hated the launch of the 22 MXZ. I think we can all admit that it was a great decision and probably saved them from market share loss. Those new engine covers looks pretty sick too. That white cover on the 409 might be worth the upgrade! Haha.

We've only had our VLX for one season, and we've sure enjoyed it. Not sure I'll ben in TN anytime soon, but what a fun trip for your family!

Sorry about your team... actually, not really. Go Ducks!
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       11-12-2012, 10:30 PM Reply   
Yes, 99% of the boats had metal flake. The charcoal metal flake is awesome! Most popular boats were (in order that we saw): 23 lsv, 22 mxz, vlx, 24 mxz, txi, 20 mxz.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-12-2012, 11:44 PM Reply   
That's pretty cool. Did you see many with surf gate?
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       11-13-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
Every wake boat there yesterday, except one, had surf gate ordered on it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-13-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
Very cool!
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-13-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
Nice pics. The irony of the guy wearing the Ranger Boats hat is priceless.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-13-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
Very nice!
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-13-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
That tube tower looks alot like.....

Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-13-2012, 10:55 AM Reply   
The tube tower is made by XTP and has been available for the Response line for a while. They also make some of Skiers Choice towers so not surprising it has similar lines.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-13-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
It would be cool if Malibu offered a shorter version of the G3 for the Response so that it had the same look, but was proportional to the shorter boat. MC used to do this for their ski boats.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-13-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
that green metal flake 20mxz looks familiar...think I might have driven it once or twice down in GA

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-13-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
Where are Malibu boats made now? I thought their plant was in California.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-13-2012, 2:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
Where are Malibu boats made now? I thought their plant was in California.
Good ol Tennessee
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-13-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
When did they move?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-13-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
They have not been in California for several years.... Probably 08 or 09???
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-13-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
When did they move?
They only make the towers out in Cali now
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-14-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
they still do a lot of R&D out in cali. Thats where surfgate was created. Good ol cali
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-14-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
When did they move?
My understanding is they were churning out boats from both factories prior to the economic downturn. Production was then limited to TN.

From what I've heard they're running very efficiently and really maximizing the output (and profits) of the TN plant so I doubt any complete boats will be built in CA in the future.