Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-03-2009, 11:29 PM Reply   
Does anyone know what the riding is like in the area? My assignment to CA was canceled and now I'm heading east.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-04-2009, 3:19 AM Reply   
That is a really open ended question.

Yes, there are people in Dayton that ride.
There is a lake, within 1 mile from WPAFB, where you can ride (power boats -even days of the month).

There are a couple of other lakes/State parks around, none have marinas.

There are a couple of private lakes w/ houses, that are within commuting to Base.

There is some great places to weekend.
(Ohio river 2 hrs away - TVA lakes are 3-5 hrs away)

Other than that Dayton is a crappy little town with some great people (like, ME).
Old     (nschimm)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-04-2009, 3:35 AM Reply   
Wake Nation isnt to far.
Old     (wakenation)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-04-2009, 6:05 AM Reply   
Hey Greg,

Come out to Wake Nation. We are a cable wakeboarding park in northern Cincinnati. It's only 45 minutes from Dayton. Check us out online at www.wakenation.com.

Thanks,
Pete
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-04-2009, 6:51 AM Reply   
Absolutly Wakenation is a sick place to ride and hang out.
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       12-04-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
Greg....Stationed at Wright-Patt AFB? If so, you will probably be living in a a really nice suburb of Dayton....Beavercreek. Beautiful homes and nice people. There is a state park lake bout 20 minutes or so from you called Ceasers Creek. It is about 2800 acres and really crowded on weekends, but super nice thru the week. No question that is where you will get your best public water. Wakenation and the big lakes of KY and TN are other options.
Old     (tvreeland)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-04-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
You should check out http://www.Cincywake.com The main place to ride in Ohio is Wake Nation. You will meet plenty of people that ride. There are a few small lakes around, but everyone heads south to Cumberland, Dale Hallow and Norris a few times a year. Dayton doesn't have many shops, but Cincinnati has a few good ones and a lot of boat dealers poping up. Columbus has a wake crew now too.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-04-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
I'll make sure to check out wake nation. John, I will be at Wright Patt. I did see Ceasers Creek on the map, but couldn't tell much about it. I'm all in for riding during the week and in cold weather. How far is it to the larger lakes? If there is a lake within a mile of the base I'd be in for early sets before work. I won't have my family with me when I get there, so I'll be looking for some folks to ride with...I've got a boat.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-04-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
you should check out the river as well....it runs right thru downtown dayton. i've seen boats on it before but i've never been on it nor do i know if/where launch ramps are at.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-04-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
I saw the river and wondered about it as well...Some places looked like it might be OK and others didn't.
Old     (tvreeland)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-04-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
The river has a lot of flood walls and spillways, so access is pretty limited. I have never seen anyone other than fisherman downtown. Ceaser's Creek will take you an hour to get to from Wright Patt. The big lakes down south take: Cumberland take just over 3 hours to the closest and 4 hours to get to the great riding spots. Dale Hallow is just past cumberland at 4 and half hours. Norris is about 3 hours 45 mins to get there and you can go an hour to get to the other side of the lake. I have a houseboat and Mastercraft on Cumberland at Beaverdock and my family goes down at least every other weekend. During the week we all go to Wake Nation because its much easier than getting out a boat. When you get here you can come with us down to Cumberland because we have a houseboat at Cumberland and a Mastercraft ready to go.
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       12-04-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
I wouldn't put my toe in that river...nasty. Tyler, man you must drive like a old lady to Ceasars Creek and Richard Petty to Cumberland and Norris!
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-04-2009, 10:45 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the info. I'll let you know when I"m headed that way...could be as early as Feb or as late as Jun.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-05-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
WOW, I feel like the "old man" on this post.

Yes, I have been on the "Great Miami River".
Is it nasty, yes!
If you want to ride, it is water!
It is a small river, so conditions and depths change with the season/storms.
South of Dayton had a really cool scene on the Great Miami for a while, lots of cool people, good times! I do not know if that area is still going or not. (Yes the water was STILL nasty, but we had a blast, weekends, weeknights, whenever! good times!

There is "sunsite lake" south of town.(private/memebership lake), but they are more geared towards Slalom/footin.

As mentioned above:
Drive times vary greately, depending where you start from, and if you are towing a boat.
I know the exact time it takes to drive from my "feet in the water" to "feet in the driveway", of the places mentioned above, but none of that matters to you. Pick a place you like then work from there!

Once you get closer to your assignment, let me know and I can try to answer any questions you have(housing, schools, lakes, etc.) .

E-mail me
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-05-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
Thanks Mike! I'll be in touch as soon as I get a firm date on my arrival.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-06-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
Hola Mike: need to ride more next year unless you're down at the good water in TN/KY.

Greg: I have a crew that goes out 1-2 a week after work. Weekends is family time at Caesars creek for us. We have 2-3 boats we rotate. Never had to cancel due to no crew. If too big of a crew, we just bring another boat and have more riding time (:=

Some websites are Cincywake and on Facebook is Caesars Creek Wakeboarding. It's a small scene in Dayton but kinda nice it's quiet. I don't like the rivers other than to tie-up with friends.

I tow to Caesars creek in 40min from WPAFB, and at the dock without boat in 25min. WakeNation is 45min away too.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-06-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Wow, didn't know there were other riders from WW that are out on Ceasars Creek. I'm usually out on Ceasars every Thursday and Friday once it warms up. I usually ride with a couple old dudes that are pretty good rippers.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-06-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
Greg, give me a buzz sometime this week. We need to get together before the holidays.

You better start making plane for the 10th anniversary of NWWF. You can count on me for the ride to Pateros and anything else you need.

Brad.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-06-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
Joe, are you at WPAFB? 1-2 times a week sounds great to me, count me in for a boat in the rotation and or gas and cleaning.

What months do you ride there?

Jae G, we'll have to link up for sure and you know I'll try to make Pateros!!
Old     (mywakeisbiggerr)      Join Date: Apr 2009       12-06-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
Williamstown lake in dry ridge ky. 45 min south of cincinnati
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-06-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
We ride weather permitting early April through hopefully early November. I live in Beavercreek just behind the mall, about 1.5mi to the WP gate. The few guys in the crew without boats are younger without kids so they are pretty reliable.

We were at CC every Wed evening and Friday mornings, sometimes Tues nights. My crew boards more, I surf more. Usually you pick 2 sets of what you prefer and a 3rd set is the other.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-06-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
I board and foil more than anything, but do get on a surf board on occasion. Our last ride here was Nov 11 and we usually start as soon as the ice is gone.

If you don't mind I will be asking about areas to live etc as I get closer to the move.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-06-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
When you get to "town", I can introduce you to a "foil" freind of mine. This freind may or may not work on base, not really sure...
We ride at Eastwood Lake, when we can.
Old     (osu_bcky1)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-07-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
Greg...There is a Lake called Eastwood Lake right off route 4 next to WPAFB. The lake switches from power boats to sailboats every other day. Even days: power boats, odd days: sail boats. Really not much of a wake scene there and can get choppy in a hurry because its shaped just like a big bowl. Its definitely the place to ride if your just trying to get away for lunch.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-07-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
Thanks fellas. Getting a set in at lunch would be great!! Not confirmed yet, but it looks like I will probably be there early - mid Apr. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-27-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
OK so now that everyone from the Little D is reading.
Has anyone every thought about "Winching"
Downtown, on the river?
I think it would be very easy We would just need a crew (and a winch). I would be be up for building a winch if people wanted to chip in on the cost. ????
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       12-27-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
When I get there I'm in.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-28-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
A couple of my buddies built one and plan on hitting the spillway once it warms up. I'm not sure about getting in that water though, it's pretty nasty, and can get pretty rough, when the water is high. Stay clear of winching in Warren county. We had the Sheriff run us off last year for winching in a pond in Springboro.
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       12-28-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
That sheriff must not have known who he was messin with.