Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-18-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Hard to explain so go with me on this and I will see if I can cover the issue the best I can….
Going around 30mph or so, then coming up to the beach I slow it down to a coast (not neutral) then the boat settles down to a coast, then I give it a little gas and it makes a clunk sound like when you rev up a car a little and drop it in gear…..
Anyone ever come across this? 06 outback V
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-18-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
Does it make an immediate click or drop sound once you take it out of neutral or does it occur once you've started to accelerate? I'm not sure of the design with a v drive but in my old I/O it would do that right up until my clutch dogs gave out.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-18-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
hmm, the clunk sound is like its going into gear, so its not a different sound, but it shouldnt go into gear when it already is and it only does it when the boat is coasting to the floating point.

i feel like one of those people on the tv comercial, it sounds like this, ka ka kaclick cklick da da......lol
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-18-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
Our boat (I/O) was doing that when the idle was set a little high, but only from neutral to drive. It might have done the same thing as yours but I don't recall ever doing the same thing you describe. We've had the drive reconditioned since.

Lowering the idle a little made the transition less aggressive and the noise went away or got quieter so I don't notice it anymore.

Can you feel the vibration through the boat when it happens?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-18-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
hows the level on fluids?
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-18-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
Nacho
not sure but im checking them tonight
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-18-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
Just a Stooopid guess, but....
is everything (nuts/bots/etc.) tight from the trans back to the prop?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-18-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
Jos, this is what my I/O did. It turned out to be a combo of throttle linkage issues and my clutch dogs getting worn out. I'm not sure if an Inboard/d-drive/v-drive would have similar characteristics.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-20-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
Just a guess, but I'm thinking yu might have a trans issue. When reducing speed you are taking the load off the trans. When you hit the throttle again, if there is any excess wear/sloppiness in the gears, you will hear a clunk. It's like drivin an old manual trans truck up and down hills and hearing the thing clunk every time you hit the gas or slow down.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-20-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
^ sounds like a u joint problem

another WAG, similar to mike's....check that the shaft isn't coming loose from the coupler