Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old    ajmac            05-10-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I'm just coming of ACL re-construction in November and am looking into a board that lands real soft. I'm having difficulty finding a shop in the Detroit area that will demo the 09 boards.

So in your opinions, which board lands softer?
09 Transcend or 09 Marius.
Old     (bbenj10)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-10-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
Marius, far and away. I tore my ACL in '05 and have been riding one ever since with no problems.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-10-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
AJ, the Transcend will pop more like your Absolute and the 09 boards lands much softer than previous versions. The Marius does land a bit softer but it is also a much different ride. If you find a place to demo I'd suggest riding them both.
Old    ajmac            05-11-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Different isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it? Just wondering because I may have to wait a few more weeks to demo a Marius.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-11-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
Completely different rides but the Marius is softer.
The Marius is a beautiful thing. I strapped on my old State at the end of last season and swore I was landing on a curb.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-11-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
The marius has two center spines which gives it crazy soft landings, but you can't go wrong with either of the boards
Old     (warwagon)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-11-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
Rode my Marius for the first time this past weekend and it was just as soft as my Slingshot Response. I believe I will stay on the Marius unless I just feel like riding the flex every once in a while.

Also I loved how you hardly have to get on the gas to go w2w
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
I have 07 versions of both. Marius is a very poppy ride with a very soft landing, but it is also the least agile board I've ever ridden when cutting around- probably due to the width. The transcend kicks pretty well itself, but doesn't land as soft. It is a Ferrari to the Marius' F150 in terms of handling, but in all honesty I still ride my 06 Militant 140 over both those boards most of the time just because it is such a consistant board- same pop everytime.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-12-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
I have no "agile" issues with my Marius. I definitely had some when I first started riding the board but now I only have agility issues when I am riding boards that aren't a Marius
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-12-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
WOW 07 versions of both are kind of like Dinosaurs. The 09 Transcend is a faster riding softer landing version then the slug that the 07 was. My son did switch from the Marius to the Transcend this year which was a huge surprise because he has ridden the Marius since before it was on the market. He does say the Marius was a little softer landing then the Transcend but he likes the pop of the Transcend better and now that it is faster he made the switch.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-12-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
I still love the 07/08 Transcend shape just as much as the 09. There are some things about the 07/08 that I liked better than the current.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-12-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
"I still ride my 06 Militant 140 over both those boards most of the time just because it is such a consistant board- same pop everytime."

A consistent board?
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
Yes, I don't know if it is the rocker or the shape but that board is something special. First ride of the season or last ride of the fall you dial it up and that board gives you the same thing everytime- even when you botch the release. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure I've ever ridden a board that pops like the Marius, and I've ridden it for months at a time, but I've just never gotten as comfortable on any board as I've been on that militant.

Edit: Agreed J-rod, I didn't feel the need to upgrade to the new mold of either board after demoing them, pretty similar rides

(Message edited by joe_crawley on May 12, 2009)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-13-2009, 5:10 AM Reply   
...the marius is probably the most stable, controllable and predictable board on the market. Its not a rocket or anything but pops high. While its easy to get a little out of control or mistime jumps on the faster boards....the marius helps you with consistancy time after time. When I first started riding the marius, my riding improved right away.....the landings are def. very very soft, first because of the 2 spines but also the v taper helps alot.
Old    ajmac            05-13-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. Hopefully I'll be able to demo a Marius in the next couple weeks.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-13-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
I've rode the marius since 06 and have loved it. The 08 was really a step up but this year I bought both a marius and the transcend. I think I will like the transcend but just in case.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-13-2009, 9:30 PM Reply   
I did the opposite of most, and started riding the Marius this year after riding the Transcend for two seasons. Like others said, its not quite as 'agile' at first, but it definitely doesn't pop like any other continuous board I've ridden (thats a good thing!), more of a 3 stage pop with the consistency of a continuous rocker line. Also lands softer than the Transcend in my opinion. The thing I still need to get used to is riding it finless. Compared to my Transcend finless, and Marius is super loose, and therefore have been riding the center fin until I get more comfortable on it...