Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-20-2007, 2:17 AM Reply   
looks like the alarm thread got put in the archive. Anyone interested in the outcome of the install?
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-20-2007, 4:11 AM Reply   
Yep.
Old     (pessy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-20-2007, 5:21 AM Reply   
Rick lets us know please
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-20-2007, 5:43 AM Reply   
Definitely! I am having one put in this week, so I would love to hear about it before I pull the trigger.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-20-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
so I would say to sway away from the prox sensor, very hard to dail in. Go for the pin switch method. I put mine in and it works great. Didn't take me that long, and luckily my boat owners manual comes with full wiring diagrams. The alarm came with wire by wire hook up instructions. I am thining about packaging the alarm with starter kill and all that stuff along with 3 gold plated pin switches, wire, connectors, electrical tape and velcro to hold down the brain and keep shock away from the brain for 129.99. What do you guys think? I am working on opening up a website for boating products like the alarm and stuff that I have tested out and work really good. The website that I actually own and have run for many years is mkperceptions.com and I'm thinking about starting a marine and wakeboard store just like it. TEll me what you guys think.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
I actually got my prox sensor dialed in pretty good. I don't want anyone getting into the boat in the first place. If you walk within 2' of the front half of the boat it will warn you, if you stay there it will go off of course.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-20-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
sweet, yea im still dialing mine in. im gonna offer the dual zone prox for 20 dollars more. Nu did you use the shock sensor too or just the prox?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
I used both. I've got the shock sensor cranked all the way up so if you lean on it hard it will go off. Like I said I keep my boat in the garage anyways I just wanted something for when I went camping or didn't feel like putting it in the garage. I also got a tilt sensor but I'm going to send it back, it's a bit overkill.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-20-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
Is is possible to put a prox sensor inside the boat? I have my boat at a community pier and don't want the alarm to go off unless someone is in the boat. I have a cheaper motion alarm in there now but I would like something with a rf remote instead of infrared. I also installed a solar powered motion light under the canopy after they stole my stereo 2 weeks ago.

Also I have a cover on the boat and it is under the canopy but the wind will move it around so I don't want any false trips that would bother the other people.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
I have mine inside the boat. They are adjustable and you can pretty much set the parameters wherever you want.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-20-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
I gave up on my Proximity sensor, couldn't get it reliable without false alarms. I am thinking about trying a IR motion detector instead of the RF type. Draws a lot more power though, so probably won't enable it when the boat is on the trailer.

I had thought about the solar powered motion light, but I figured it would just give the thief better light to work with.....

I did install two sirens. One in a position where it will be heard from the farthest distance. The second is in the compartment with the amps. It will be really uncomfortable climbing in there to disable that siren!

Rod
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-20-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
yea that is the way to go. and add a battery backup siren and man no way they are getting in there hahaha. I got all gold plated pin switches so no rust hopefully. LOL I just want to know when someone is opening my hatches, the prox sensor I tried setting and because the boat is fiberglass sometimes it sets off to close so I just used the exterior one because mine you can shut off interior and exterior, but i did set the interior one super low so if you do get into the boat it will go off just not at the very edges. I will have the website up next week so you guys can check out the alarms. Nu bu what model DEI did you use. My dealer is trying to get me to sell the DEI but I dont like the quality as good as what I am using now so I would love to know what model and how you like yours?
Old     (bigpimpin4u)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
What type of alarm are you guys using? Specifically, the make, model #?

Thanks,
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
im using a zs300 i sell them so i use them and the company backs them up very well.
Old     (bigpimpin4u)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
Rick, what brand is that?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
trc. its what installers use. You wont find it at the bestbuy or anything like that
Old     (bigpimpin4u)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Can someone recommend a reasonably priced system that I can buy "over the counter" and install myself? Oh yea, and I want the proximity sensor and I need 3 pin switches.

(Message edited by bigpimpin4u on June 25, 2007)
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
john are you using the prox sensor instead of the shock sensor or using both. with waves at night my shock sensor goes off :-( So i did away with it and just use the pin switches on the water. if you are storing your boat on the side of your house or in a driveway the prox sensor works awesome. As soon as I can get my webpage up I am selling the alarm with the prox and 3 gold plated switches, some wires and connections along with stainless steel screws and some velcro for 149.99 it has step by step instruction on what wire to put and where. but finding the wires on your boat is always up to you. I think any do-it yourselfer can do it.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
Rick that's a great price and would challenge anyone to find a better deal than that anywhere, especially given the R&D you've put into it and the level of support and customer service I'm sure you are going to provide. I would have waited if I knew you were going to be putting this together.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
nu bu what did model dei alarm did you use and did you like the quality. I am also a dei distributor and would love to offer another choice for people.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
I used the python 460HP, it was the first one I could find and cheap. I might have done more research but I always keep my boat in my garage. I've always liked the Avital alarms.
Old     (bigpimpin4u)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 7:50 PM Reply   
I don't have an alarm....i'm in the market. I would prefer the proximity sensor because I don't want people near my boat. I do have a lift so the waves shouldn't be an issue, as NUbu suggested, I might use both.

nubu did you have to add the prox sensor to that system or did it come with it? If you did add it, what prox sensor do you use?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
I added it and it was actually just a plug and play setup. I got the python alarm which is made by DEI and bought the DEI prox sensor the 508D. It plugged right into the brain of the Python. Take some time during the install on the orienataion of the prox sensor during your install. It says its directional when mounting it, I actually mounted it the way they suggested but will be moving it opposite and think it will work better.
Old     (bigpimpin4u)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
nubu Thanks for the advice. Did you do the install yourself or did you have a shop to do it.

Also, where did you end up placing the prox sensor?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
I did it myself, to easy. I wouldn't do one in an auto but a boat is so easy. I didn't wire the starter kill or anything cause I wasn't worried about that. I put the prox sensor under my dash as close to the middle of the boat as possible.
Old     (bigpimpin4u)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
Do you know how many pin switches it comes with? How good is the remote? What distance does it work?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
Doesn't come with any pin switches. They are cheap though. The remote works pretty good, I haven't tried it more that like 100' away.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
hahaha dont ask how good a dei remote is LOL j/k the plug and play sensors are awesome. if you are looking for something that will work far and tell you if your boat is being broken into you want a lcd alarm system. I'm putting one of those together for 249.99 I have it on two of my cars and I love it. Range is awesome
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
John get up with Rick he will set you up with just what you need and tell you how to install it.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
john it is super easy, if i can do it you can definately do it. If you dont want a shock sensor and just a prox sensor then you dont need anything too fancy or expensive. if you want both and want them plug and play it gets a little more expensive but not too much more. not sure if my PM works but my email is mkperceptionsvw@yahoo.com