Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-14-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
Hey Y'all,

My first contest is on Saturday morning (gravel tour). I'm in the novice division: no inverts and 3 falls. I won't be doing a double-up because I've never hit one. Here's the trick run I've come up with. What do ya think? Are there any changes I should make to get more points or reduce the chance of falling?

Pass 1:
1. HS roast beef grab (dialed, huge into the flats)
2. TS indy grab (pretty solid, but not very big)
3. HS tail grab (dialed)
4. TS melon 180 (I always make the rotation, but I don't always get the grab early enough)
5. HS nose grab (dialed)

Pass 2:
1. HS melon 180 (f*n HUGE , pretty solid unless I get lazy and land on my heels and have to slide around to save it)
2. Switch HS 180 (sketchy. I'm a little worried about clearing the wake, might case it)
3. Switch TS 180 (super hard for me, I usually take off too back foot heavy and land on my ass)
4. TS 360 (super hard, I often over-rotate and land butter)

I won't be mad if I fall on one of the last two or three tricks, but I'd like to make everything else. Of course, it's my first contest and I'm not used to riding on a proper wake, so I might totally bomb.
Old     (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-14-2011, 6:08 PM Reply   
Looks good! For INT's the best thing to do I've found is to do your hardest two tricks at the end of each pass. If you get your first four done earley enough, this gives you time to get up and do another trick (even if it's not a high point trick) before you clear the buoys for the end of the pass.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-14-2011, 6:19 PM Reply   
My boy rides comps so here's a little feedback from his perspective Sounds like you have your 1st pass a little more solid than the 2nd? You might consider swapping out trick 5 pass 1 for trick 3 pass 2. By doing this if you happen to fall on trick 5 pass 1 (now switch TS 180 and assuming this is your 1st fall) then you will not have lost any of the course waiting for the boat to get back up to speed and will also have the turn around to compose yourself for your 2nd pass. The rest of your passes look fine. Also have fun with it and treat the comp as a normal free ride...good luck!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-14-2011, 6:32 PM Reply   
Looks solid! having jumped off the starting dock at loads of contests, get the fact you might crash on a trick yuo dont have dialed out of your head. Its hard to do but if you think I am going to land and not that your going to crash you will ride away.

My TS 360 trick when giving lessons is to have the rider think that all your trying to do is move the back hand with the rope in it to your back lead hip.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-14-2011, 6:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxr_racer View Post
You might consider swapping out trick 5 pass 1 for trick 3 pass 2.
That makes perfect sense. I think I'll do that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Isringhausen View Post
For INT's the best thing to do I've found is to do your hardest two tricks at the end of each pass.
Good to know. I'll be doing two INT events in August. At least I'll have a trick list to go by for those ones.

Man, I really wish I could do BS 180s and shifties. It's pretty embarrassing that I can't and those would really beef up my run. They give me fits!

Last edited by TheHebrewHammer; 07-14-2011 at 6:45 PM.
Old     (travis_briscoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-15-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
Definitely do what Geoff and racer said. Put your most inconsistent tricks at the end of each pass. Remember the most important thing is to have fun and not stress if you mess up- there's always next time.
On a different note, a backside 180 is harder than most basic inverts, so don't worry so much that you may not be able to do them yet, they take time. I know quite a few guys that can do quite a few inverts and couldn't dream of a bs 180 (pretty sad, I know), but that's the fact of it.
Remember have fun, and good luck!
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-16-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
Does everyone dock start at amateur events?
Old     (travis_briscoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-16-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
Some amateur events won't even let you dock start for liability reasons. If they do, most people will most likely do a sitting or standing dock start depending on how comfortable they are with those. If you aren't ok with any dock start, then just start in the water, it's not a big deal.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-16-2011, 3:54 PM Reply   
Gravel Tour was SICK! First of all, no, I didn't do a dock start. Even some of the sponsored riders in boys division chose to hop off the dock and start from the water.

As soon as I got to the site, I chatted it up with the people in my division. I figured it would be better to be chill and have fun than be serious or try to intimidate kids half my age. As soon as I got in the water, pretty much all of my nerves just evaporated. I was so stoked just to be there. Travis Moye was driving and I told him to wait so I could take a piss. He did . He was a very chill driver and made me feel very comfortable. Thanks Travis!

I was super stoked on my run. I fell twice, but that was fine because I was allowed three falls. I rode with confidence and went bigger than anyone else in my division. The course turned out to be much shorter than what I had been practicing for, which threw me off. I didn't have time to do all the tricks I wanted to do, but I got some good hits in there. I really felt like a winner when I whipped back into the dock.

There were seven riders in my division and I ended up in a tie for 4th place. I was a little disappointed because I felt like I should've gotten 3rd, but I was also really proud because I had been expecting to totally crack under the pressure.

After talking to the judges and the other riders, I realized that I really hadn't understood the scoring. It turned out that I had wasted the time before my first turn and after my last turn. I didn't know that I was allowed to start doing tricks right away and keep going until I hit the dock, so I missed out on a chance to get some of my most technical tricks in there, like the 360. I should've paid more attention during the riders meeting.

Because it was novice division, the judges were really looking for consistency and solid fundamentals, which were not my strong points. I didn't like the scoring system because the 3rd place rider had repeated a lot of tricks, not taken any real risks, not gone beyond the 2nd wake, and not done many grabs. I felt like my intensity, variety, and style should've counted for more, even if I fell more and didn't get in quite as many hits.

That said, it's their contest, and those are the rules. I'm not mad at the judges. They were super nice in explaining what I'd done wrong. I need to learn to manage the course better and be more consistent with my form.

Overall, it was a super fun and exciting experience, and I can't wait for my INT comps in August and the last two stops of the Gravel Tour in September and October. I'm gonna go back to work on my pass and hopefully land on the podium soon. Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf, Travis Moye, the judges, and all the other riders at the comp for making my first contest experience so chill and so fun!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-16-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
Congrats. Did you also ride the cable? Was it at OWC? I know the lake is pretty short. I'm gonna be hitting the cable tomorrow.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-16-2011, 4:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Congrats. Did you also ride the cable? Was it at OWC? I know the lake is pretty short. I'm gonna be hitting the cable tomorrow.
Ya, it was at O-Dub. I didn't ride the cable cause I'm that into cable yet, I wanted to get home, and I had already spent enough money for one weekend.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2011, 8:00 PM Reply   
Glad you enjoyed yourself brewham. The gravel tour is the most competitive amature contest out there, in all of the divisions. In a division like novice where you aren't allowed to do inverts, people are going to repeat some of their tricks. Dont be deterred from that and don't get caught up in how am contests are judged. Just know that you rode your best and you will know if you should have podiumed. We have all had an experience with bad judging but fortunately for us, our careers don't depend on a good result lol. As someone who has done a lot of judging, it isn't as easy as it should be, especially in a division like novice where you really can't do anything to distinguish yourself. And if a kid throws a few backside 180s then they are not a "novice" rider. The proper way to handle a sandbagger is controversial because even though are lame, they aren't breaking the rules
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-16-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
In a division like novice where you aren't allowed to do inverts, people are going to repeat some of their tricks.
I don't think that's necessary. I wouldn't have repeated any tricks even if I'd managed to get through that entire run I'd planned. There are plenty of variations of 180s and straight airs IMO.

Quote:
Dont be deterred from that and don't get caught up in how am contests are judged. Just know that you rode your best and you will know if you should have podiumed.
Great advice.

Quote:
We have all had an experience with bad judging but fortunately for us, our careers don't depend on a good result lol.
Yes, but I wouldn't call what happened today "bad judging". I think the judges were consistent and fair with their standards across the board for all riders. I just don't like what those standards were. I'm guessing it's not up to the judges to decide the criteria.

Quote:
if a kid throws a few backside 180s then they are not a "novice" rider.
Really? That's good to know. I didn't see anyone attempt one in novice, although one kid landed a 360. I guess a backside 180 is arguably harder than a 360. It certainly is for me.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-18-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
I don't mind your trick run but from a judging perspective (we're on the 3 category: execution, intensity, and composition format up here) I would mix up your passes so that you spread out your 180's and grabs to maximize your composition.

Generally plan your hardest tricks for: end of the first pass, beginning of the second pass, just before fall bouy. The idea is to maximize your water time even if you fall and if you fall before the fall bouy you get one more crack to throw the same trick or something else.