Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-30-2003, 6:39 PM Reply   
Greg Sandford landed his first backroll today and then managed to squeak out a second one as well. I'm still not sure how he pulled the second one out...take a look:

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9536

CONGRATS, GREG!!!!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-30-2003, 7:47 PM Reply   
A few comments:

1. Congratulations
2. That roll is huge
3. Stick with this sport cause you know how to save yourself!

Old    wakelvr            11-30-2003, 8:13 PM Reply   
Geesh! Talking about saving yourself! NICE!!!
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-30-2003, 9:33 PM Reply   
Awesome work today Greg!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-30-2003, 10:22 PM Reply   
the second one? i dont know how he pulled the first one off!! amazing greg. awesome. and brian is right - those were friggin huge!
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-30-2003, 10:59 PM Reply   
dude that was huge, tell him to keep with it.

Even if the landing on the 2nd one was sketchy, he gets himself around, and he will stick the landings on it soon i bet :-)
Old    norcal_99            11-30-2003, 11:36 PM Reply   
Two sweet saves. Nice work Greg.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-01-2003, 5:36 AM Reply   
Nice rolls Greg. The arse had to feel a little sore after those though! How about the 180 Christie?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-01-2003, 5:56 AM Reply   
AWESOME!

Killer saves.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2003, 7:06 AM Reply   
Why do I always let go in those circumstances?

Congrats Greg!!!

And how are the 180's going Christie?
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
I made a lot of progress on the 180s yesterday as well, but I didn't ride one away yet. Well, unless the 3 second rule applies :-) Maybe I'll post a quick video of my attempts later tonight! Chad - I actually saw the shore this time!!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-01-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Nice job, Greg!
Way to stick with it!
Sorry I wasn't there to cheer for ya, but I'm stoked that the hard work and punishment (I mean fortitude) paid off for you.
Christie will have hers next!
Old    gman100            12-01-2003, 12:38 PM Reply   
Just wanted to thank everybody in the boat for having the patients with me while trying to land the backroll. Also thanks to all the readers for the comments. I am definately sticking with it, just need to stick that landing a little better.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-01-2003, 1:41 PM Reply   
Greg,
when coming out of your rotation, try looking for the shoreline. It should help your landings a bit. Also, remember, your body position when you leave the wake is how you'll land. Meaning if your squatting while leaving, you'll be in the same position when landing and butt check. Stand tall at the wake and boot it. Nice air for a first roll. Very impressive.
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2003, 2:13 PM Reply   
Nice ones Greg! Is your arm still in the socket?
Christie, I noticed you ride an Absolute, does it have really cushy landings like they say?
Can you compare it to the Prodigy?
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-01-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
Good Job!! I see you easily converting that into a roll to revert. Just let go with your right hand, head up, chest up, spot your landing and pull the handle to your left hip. Check out instructional portion on this site or wakeboarder.com. Go for it!! Feels awesome doesn't it?
Old     (bean521)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-01-2003, 8:08 PM Reply   
Awesome save Greg...that was great riding...
!
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
Chad & Tommy - here are a few of my 180 attempts from yesterday.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9546

Jim/Sharon - Yes, the Absolute has a very cushy landing...especially the 140. I only rode the Prodigy once, but I rode it at the same time I demo'd the Absolute for the first time. I got more pop on the Absolute, the landings were softer and I felt more 'stable' on the Absolute. Personally, I didn't like the Prodigy at all, but I didn't really give it much of a chance because once I tried the Absolute, I didn't demo any other boards :-)
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-02-2003, 5:33 AM Reply   
arrrgghhh, so close. Wait till you finally land it, you'll be so stoked you'll also "feel" why you weren't landing them before. I wish I was good enough to offer any real advise. The only thing I could see maybe helping is that it looks like you are landing fairly stiff legged and keep leaning forward once you land. But what the hell do I know? In the immortal words of Joe Dirt, "Keep on, keep keepn' on"

Chad

(Message edited by forwaken on December 02, 2003)
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-02-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
The last ones looking real good Christie, you are very close!!!
Starting rotation at the right moment, etc. But I think Chad is right.
Perhaps it's an idea to ride more switch, and expecially on toe-side. Feel how the board handles and carves when riding switch/toe-side...

I wish I could help you more, but I don't even land my 180's consistant..

Tommy
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-02-2003, 9:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips and the encouragement! I have been riding switch everytime I go out and I am sure that is making a difference. It's only a matter of time now!!
Old    wakelvr            12-02-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
Will you just land that s**t!!! Quit messin' with us!
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       12-02-2003, 10:20 AM Reply   
Greg… nice work! Looks like you are very close… great saves.

Christie, Oh so close!
Looks like you have all the pieces down… just not putting them all together in the same cut. Sure is cool how video helps with learning…. I need to get out the vid more often.

Edging…Even on the ones where you were close to riding away on … it looks like you are still trying to ride out more on your heal-side edge when landing instead of edging away from the boat on your toe-side. Try working on edging away from the boat on your to edge while riding out in the flats to get used to being able to roll the board over on the toe-side.

Handle… One pointer that helped me was pulling a bit on the handle as you come off the wake so when you land the handle is closer to you. You can see in some cuts the handle is way out with your arms strait… and in some you pull more and land with the handle much closer to your body.

Eyes… Still looks like you are looking down when landing. Eyes on the shoreline.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-02-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
Christie,

You're spotting your landings and it's throwing you off balance. When you look at your feet when landing, it turns your upper body just enough to throw you off balance. When coming down, spot your landing then look for the shoreline. This will drop you straight down on the water and ride away on your toeside edge. If you watch your video again you'll see your head looking down at your feet. This is why you're getting booted on your landings.

Hope this helps.
Old    jetgofish            12-02-2003, 11:32 AM Reply   
Greg - maybe you can show me a thing or two. I've got the rotation, (sort of). Now I need the pop that you have!!

Christie - The 180's are looking good!
Old    gman100            12-02-2003, 1:21 PM Reply   
Teri - I have been working a long time on getting the perfect form to get big air. That's pretty much what I worked on all summer. These are some of the things I do to get a big pop. There are a lot of them, what I did was focus on 1 each time I went out until it became second nature. It's almost impossible to try to do them all the first time. Some of these you probably already know but you asked so I will tell you.

1. I cut really far out (some people are against this but I like it so I do it)
2. Slow down
3. Cut in slowly then increase my speed (in other words a Progressive edge)
4. Lean back on my approach with my legs not to bent to much (this creates a lot of energy and tention in the rope, and sinks your board deeper in the water)
5. As I go up the wake I straighten out my legs, stay on my edge, and throw my body up a little to let all that energy I built up on the rope and in the water with my board and use that engergy to launch me up in the air. (it's kind of like a leverage trick build up the engery then release it, think of yourself as big crowbar, the rope is your pivot point, keep it in tight at your waist.)

I still havn't perfected it but it seems to be working so far
Old    jetgofish            12-02-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
Greg - thanks for those pointers. I started this year off saying I'm going to land a backroll before the end of the year! I'm close but I haven't landed it yet. I'll focus on some of the key pointers you have. I don't have consistant pop and I have a tendency to throw to early or too late or just not at all (this would be the chicken wing effect). I too cut out really far (also because I like it), I've maintained and built a awesome progressive edge but can't keep the pop persistant. Again thanks for the pointers and keep grinding for perfection!
Old    buttacup            12-02-2003, 3:08 PM Reply   
Teri- no more half a$$ rotations there like last time..haha j/k. The last time we rode, you were getting some pop but it definitley wasn't enough like you need, which in result ended in a 3/4 rotation. You can get it, just like I can get my consistency down. My goal is to get a wrapped 3 down, I think I want to spin before I try inverts

(Message edited by buttacup on December 02, 2003)